Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 Dead in Metro-North Train Derailment in the Bronx

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by EastMillinocket View Post
    The engineers often cover up the windows at the front of the passenger compartment in the head car so that passengers don't see them reading the paper or sleeping.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...158326065.html

Some of the wealthiest regions in the country are served by Metro North. However, the railroad's total disregard for human life looks like something out of Brezhnev-era USSR.
    Overreacting abit aren't we , the Newer cabs you can't see the Engineer , but you can see the tracks ahead. Honestly in most of the World your not allowed to see what the Engineer is doing...or the Engineer can block it using Smart Glass Technology. You can't see the Subway operators and its always been this way.....should that change aswell. Metro North safety record before 2013 was one of the best in the Northeast , the first derailment was caused by lack of maintenance and this derailment was due to Human error...both preventable. But before these two incidents you would have to go back to th Era before the creation of Metro North to find deaths and derailments...1970s... They've dumped billions over the last decade in 3 states upgrading the trains , bridges , tracks , tunnels and switches , the signals were the last thing that was to be upgraded.

I would suggest brushing up on your MNRR history.

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/04/07/ny...ty-trains.html

Forum Veteran

I would suggest brushing up on your MNRR history.

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/04/07/ny...ty-trains.html
    I was aware of that , Employee deaths and injuries are common... Passenger deaths rare , before these 2 incidents you would have to go back to the era before Metro North.

My recollection is that this incident caused quite a stir, the outcome of which was the dismissal of the engineer, and a suggestion by the union that engineers obstruct bystander's observations of their actions by putting newspaper over theinterior windows, which led the public to surmise that reading the paper was a common occurance.

There is also this artcle.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...158326065.html\

Days after a train engineer was suspended following being caught on camera reading a newspaper while at the controls, some windows that look into the operators' cabs have been covered up, NBC 4 New York has found.

Posters, including a "Today in New York" advertisement, were seen taped to the windows of some driving cabs on Metro-North trains Saturday.
    While the MTA condemns driving while distracted, MTA officials say there is nothing wrong with covering windows.

In a statement, Metro-North said the company "does not have a policy that either prohibits or encourages train crew members from papering over or otherwise obscuring interior cab windows."
    Last edited by eddhead; December 4th, 2013 at 03:25 PM.

Technology should be deployed wherever possible to free humans from drudgery and repetitive tasks.

Not a bad idea. Just automate the trains, and get rid of the engineers and conductors. This is a job that computers could probably do better.

Technology should be deployed wherever possible to free humans from drudgery and repetitive tasks.

By the looks of that locomotive, no passengers could have seen inside the cab.

When the loco is pushing the inbound Hudson Line train, the cab is in the front of the head passenger car.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
    Not a bad idea. Just automate the trains, and get rid of the engineers and conductors. This is a job that computers could probably do better.
    That won't happen for a long time , and that will put 10,000s out of work in the Northeast alone. The Saying goes in the Railroad world , if Japan hasn't done it , why should we? Urban Systems should be automated for Capacity reasons , but you would have to grade separate and do more costly upgrades for Regional Rail , Light Rail or Streetcars. The New Signal system is as close as to where were going to get with automation.... Computers still fail and when they do , the devastation is just as bad..., they can as be hacked and tend to be very expensive. Which is why aside from a few New Metro system , full automation is rare for trains. The latest Asian and European Signal systems boost capacity and keep everyone in line with the rules on speed and any restrictions added to the system.

Forum Veteran

Read this Blog post , from some inside the industry...

http://www.thelirrtoday.com/2013/12/...tro-north.html

This blog post is also right on the money..

http://secondavenuesagas.com/2013/12...eeds/#comments

Anyway, blocked cab windows are not the issue here. From what is known at his point, it doesn't appear that the engineer was willfully doing something (like texting) while hidden from passengers.

His recent work schedule is being examined. Two weeks ago, his shift was changed from afternoon to early morning.

Microsleep?

Two years ago, Metro North won an international award for excellence. So what happened?

It's noted that the railroad is 30 years old, and experienced personnel have been retiring.
    http://www.insurancejournal.com/news.../03/312786.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
    Employee deaths and injuries are common.
    I didn't know that. I hope something is being done about this.

You don't think they could put sensors on the trains that could detect incursions at grade crossings? I bet you could come up with something that would work at longer range, with higher reliability and faster response times, than a motorman.

Train driving would seem to be one of the easiest vehicle control jobs to automate. There's no directional control. It's speed up, slow down, stop. If Google can make an automated car, I can't see how hard (in a relative sense) and automated train would be. And, remember, the automation doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to be safer and more reliable than the human motormen. Given what we've been seeing, I think this is eminently doable.

And the main thing that the conductors on seem to do (on the commuter lines) is checking tickets, and opening an closing doors. Are you telling me this couldn't be automated? And I bet the savings from the job cuts would pay for it all, plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
    That won't happen for a long time , and that will put 10,000s out of work in the Northeast alone. The Saying goes in the Railroad world , if Japan hasn't done it , why should we? Urban Systems should be automated for Capacity reasons , but you would have to grade separate and do more costly upgrades for Regional Rail , Light Rail or Streetcars. The New Signal system is as close as to where were going to get with automation.... Computers still fail and when they do , the devastation is just as bad..., they can as be hacked and tend to be very expensive. Which is why aside from a few New Metro system , full automation is rare for trains. The latest Asian and European Signal systems boost capacity and keep everyone in line with the rules on speed and any restrictions added to the system.

Able to do it or not- Just what this country needs...MORE job cuts.

We have a situation here (and in other train wrecks over the years) where human error (or at least human factors, like the motorman falling asleep) have caused fatalities. Now assuming it can be shown that an automated system can eliminate this problems, without introducing problems of the same or greater magnitude of it's own (I know this could be argued, but for the sake of this discussion, go with it), should the job not be automated, or people be kept unnecessarily in the loop, simply to keep people employed? Consider this especially in light of the deficits the MTA has been running.

Quote Originally Posted by scumonkey View Post
    Able to do it or not- Just what this country needs...MORE job cuts.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast