Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fox News Hitting New Lows Even by its Standards

Forum Veteran

Default Fox News Hitting New Lows Even by its Standards

I was in a McDonalds yesterday which had Fox News on the TV. I have not watched that channel in some time, and obviously I know all about their bias, but HOLY **** they have gone off the deep end. I could not believe how low they have gotten. The first item was about how Sochi is the only hot spot in the world and everywhere else is cold so that global warming a looney toon hoax (huh?). That was followed by a host (Eric Bolling) who claimed that Obama stacked the supreme court with liberals, and two guests who feared Obama was setting himself up to be a dictator by unilaterally imposing obama care over the objections of the democratically elected congress. Everyone on the panel nodded and gave their agreement that Obama was dangerous and taking over the country

I'd completely dismiss this sort of insanity except that there's a reason this stuff is still on the air - a significant portion of the American public watches & buys into this filth. What ever happened to rational thinking

this surprises you?

Forum Veteran

Yes, I may be naive but a group of people on a fortune 500 national TV network discussing with a straight face that the reasonable conclusion is that Obama is plotting to destroy the US constitution does seem like going over the line

This has been going on for years. Go back to Glen Beck's continued comparisons of Obama to Hitler as an example. This shit has been tolerated - in fact encouraged for an awfully long time.

Forum Veteran

Like I said, I haven't put watched Fox News in a very long time, obviously I haven't missed anything. But it just reminds me of how deeply brainwashed some people are, typically the same people vehemently fighting for the right to carry concealed automatic weapons...

No one forces anyone to eat at McDonald's or watch Fox News.

There are two fiercely anti-American news channels that are available in New York (Fox News and RT). I am not sure if they are brainwashing anyone or simply preaching to the choir.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by EastMillinocket View Post
    I am not sure if they are brainwashing anyone or simply preaching to the choir.
    A mix of both, IMO. They're feeding what this demographic segment wants & expects to hear, and they're always on the hunt for a new left wing conspiracy to "educate" them about

It is easy to blame the likes of Fox - and certainly appropriate, for misinforming the American populace, but in reality the sources of misinformation are broader than the Ruppert empire.

When I was growing up, News was serious business. Our family would spend 1 hour a day (.5 for local, .5 for national and interational) watching a concise and highly germane presentation on the important issues of the day. Sunday morning programs like "Meet the Press" went deeper than providing a venue for empty-suited political hacks to represent their twisted partisan views on important events. Important figures of the day were probed by smart, critically thinking journalists who refused to let them off the hook.

Even tabloid news papers reported real news. Compare the NY Post, NY Daily News, even Newsday of today, to the same publications that ran in the 70's. Just look at the front page headlines. It's a joke.

The advent of 24 hour news, along with the monopolization of the news media by huge corporations has changed our definition of what is news in a very twisted way. And it isn't just Fox News, although they are the best at it, it is the entire mass media that is responsible.

I watched a political show during the last presidential primary where residents of a key West Virginia district were asked about Barack Obama. The feedback was stunningly stupid focusing on where he was born, what his religous affliation is, comments about his name including his middle name - almost nothing on policy, leadership, or effetiveness.

The former attorney general of the united states had a statue of a partially nude art deco statue of a woman draped because he was uncomfortable with the art from. A congressman yells "You Lie" to a sitting POTUS during a State of the Union address. Kansas school districts seek to mandate the inclusion of creationalist theory on ciriculum and reprsent evolution as a non-science based theory. The State of Texas tries to legisalte rewritinig school text books to de-emphsize slavery and racsim. The likes of Sarah Palin actually talk about the virtues of slavery. Michele Bacman talks about curing homosexuatlity. Where do you think this shit comes from, and where do you think the simple minded and intellectually lazy get their opinions from?

People just don't pay attention. It is just easier to be ignorant and hatefull than to be toughtful and practical. The fact that the likes of a Mitt Romney can get the support of 48% of the American electorate and that this isn't even considered a close race should tell you something.

There are days when I feel like half of us shouldn't even be allowed to breed, much less vote.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    I was in a McDonalds yesterday which had Fox News on the TV. I have not watched that channel in some time, and obviously I know all about their bias, but HOLY **** they have gone off the deep end. I could not believe how low they have gotten.
    Part of the problem now with any "news source" that purposely distorts information (either Left or Right) is that the bulk of the MSM has actually become more unbiased, contrary to popular opinion.

This is not motivated by a sense of objective reporting, but out of fear of being labelled biased.

Observe how a politician or other public figure who says something obviously ridiculous is presented by most news outlets. You get both sides of the issue as equal. It's left to organizations such as Mother Jones or some of MSNBC programs to call them out. But they are preaching to the choir.

I think part of reporting the news is to report bullshit as bullshit. But now they act like corporations, and worry about product-liability.

They don't act like corporations, they ARE corporations. Media giants control everything we watch and read related to the news or for that matter anything else. The likes of Disney, Comcast, Viacom, News Corp, etc.. have so much control over media outlets and as a result content - the days of independent programming are over.

Media corporatism and consolidation has killed the news.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by eddhead View Post
    Media corporatism and consolidation has killed the news.
    IMO viewer apathy has killed it. The people just aren't interested in dry facts anymore, they want to be entertained and everything must be dramatic & sensationalized. It all started with CNN

I have a friend who was calling me about all kinds of crazy shit he was worried about. I would settle him down and all was fine until the next call. Finally I asked him where he was getting this stuff. "It's on the news", "What news?" I inquired. He told me he was watching Fox news. I made him promise to watch different news and the problems went away. I wonder how many naive people get their underwear in a twist by these crazies.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

My sister God rest her soul was convinced Al Qaeda was going to raid our dinky home town in the middle of the rust belt.

They have the hottest female broadcasters though.

This chick is already brainless methinks .

Eric Sharp (NGC-253)

"A California woman who describes herself as Barbie-obsessed says she uses hypnotherapy sessions in the hopes that it will decrease her IQ"

Just watch Fox all day and nothing else, it's free and you'll achieve the same effect....

Sue D. (cybersleuth58)

It's even called "the Fox Effect!!!!"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4815495.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast