Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 551 West 21st Street - residential/commercial

So much, or so little, can go into the physical aspects of a curtain wall assembly: this is top quality craftwork……..top quality materials……top quality design.

This is coming out quite nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    This is coming out quite nice.
    yes, quite nice. There is a lot of high quality construction, materials, architectural details that are not visible to the laymen (the untrained eye) but for some reason this developer is choosing to spend money on: this is the exception, not the rule - which is why I really appreciate this project.

http://551w21.com

Residential Tower at 551 West 21st Street Gets Windows

by Rowley Amato

All photos via Field Condition. Click through for more.

Construction has been ongoing at Foster + Partners' newest residential project at 551 West 21st Street, and now, Field Condition reports that window installation at the 19-story tower is currently underway, having at last count reached the seventh floor.

The 44-unit West Chelsea tower is located right near the High Line and Chelsea Piers, and is being developed by SR Capital and GTIS Partners. The building should be finished by Fall 2015, and will offer full-floor, 6,200-square-foot apartments, each with a double-sided wood burning fireplace, on the top three floors. The top floor will feature a ridiculous $50 million penthouse, with a 61' sky pool.

551 W 21 [Field Condition]

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/1...ts_windows.php

Love this building and looks like Tectonic has inspired someone.

Default 21 Dec 2014

tectonic

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Those corner units look VERY nice.

What I like is that the windows are large - for those views & light - but they are not floor to ceiling glass: they are about two feet from the ceiling, and the same distance up from the floor: that creates a feeling of 'enclosure/shelter' while providing ample light and views. That condition also permits more options for placing furniture in the room along the glass: unlike all those full height glass windows we see around town with sofas and side tables up against the glass and fully visible from the street.

This is a fine project on every level of design and construction: a particularly like the solidity of the massive stone work and quality glass panels on the façade.

For those few people out there who actually know the difference between shi,t and shoe polish when it comes to quality design/construction, these units will be an easy sell. Too bad so few people actually do KNOW what they are looking at, or KNOW what goes into it, when it comes to quality building' design/construction.

tectonic

Norman Foster's West Chelsea Condo Tower Nears Completion

March 4, 2015, by Jessica Dailey

Photo via New York YIMBY

One of the many new additions to the West Chelsea streetscape is looking more and more like a luxury building and less like a construction site. The 19-story, Foster + Partners-designed building at 551 West 21st Street received most of its windows and is on track to be complete this fall. The gold trim around the windows—which, according to the development team will make it "the center of attention"—will come next. Sales launched nearly a year ago, and StreetEasy shows that half of the 44 condos are in contract, including the $50 million, sky pool-equipped penthouse.

Photo via New York YIMBY

Construction Update: 551 West 21st Street, West Chelsea [NYY]
    551 West 21st Street [StreetEasy]

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/0...completion.php

A group of Architects from the office of Foster/Partners were standing across the street on the corner: I approached them and asked a couple of questions. Only some of the said they knew of the Wired New York Website, so only some of them will see their photo here on the Wired New York Forum.

What I was surprised to learn is that the facade is made of ‘concrete’ with a white finish: not ’stone’ as I had assumed. It looks so smooth and white: i thought for sure it was some sore of solid stone….

Quote Originally Posted by infoshare View Post
    Only some of the said they knew of the Wired New York Website
    Was any of them familiar with YIMBY?

Quote Originally Posted by EastMillinocket View Post
    Was any of them familiar with YIMBY?
    I did not ask about YIMBY - they didn't seem very friendly: so I moved along before asking too many questions... I am not sure if when I ask people if they know about the 'wired new York' website and they say yes; they may be thinking wired.com.

http://www.wired.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast