Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 551 West 21st Street - residential/commercial

The window casings are getting metallic (shiny brass or gold) trim that beautifully frames each window that slightly protrudes from the building: adds some glitter without being gaudy. The design details on this building are tasteful and refined, and the material on the facade are all substantial and of fine quality. This building is understated architectural excellence, truly one of the best currently under construction.

This building can - and often will - be easily be overlooked as being ’typical’ ; but those who discern the difference , and can see the quality , will very much enjoy viewing this new building in person.

Notice all the other windows to the right, that have not yet been clad: what a difference. The opportunity for Scouting out architectural gems like this in NYC has not been better in recent history: beautiful buildings are sprouting like flowers in spring..... Enjoy.

truly beautiful building, a great fit for rural Connecticut!

http://www.rent.com/connecticut/shel...nce-4-61193828

I question if anything can be gold and not be gaudy. I know warm metals are all the rage, but I will fess up to not getting it.

Quote Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
    I question if anything can be gold and not be gaudy. I know warm metals are all the rage, but I will fess up to not getting it.
    Well that's a reasonable response to an architectural design you don't fancy: a fair minded, reasonable and non-snarky criticism - we don't get that too often here at WNY.

I , on the other hand, am delighted with the how this is turning out: one of my top favorite buildings currently under construction. I will not quibble over matters of personal tast preferences, and individually held standards of "good design" - but I do see how one would equate glittery gold trim with being "gaudy".

My infatuation with this building will continue unabated : with soon to follow site photos I took today.

Agreed. Black, white and gold strikes a very 70s note. Copper, stainless, corten etc. would have been better.

We're going corten on the house. So that I get.

This building isn't bad, really, just maybe not my favorite. I guess partially because I think the place on 14th did this so much better. The brass was a little more subdued and the brickwork a bit more boisterous than the panels here.

This features on the facade of this building are the best I have seen as of late: the quality of the materials, the architectural detailing on the window frame with the metallic protruding trim, the thick and massive precast concrete cladding on the facade - all brilliant.

I will continue to follow closely the construction progress, along with photos and commentary, until the completion of this building: because I think this project is so well done, yet widely unnoticed.

This building is lame and so is Foster.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    This building is lame and so is Foster.
    The Funny thing about architecture is that I - or anyone else - can not definitively disprove or dispute your claim about either the Architect Foster or his Design for the building: so 'lame' is a fair enough. I am definitely in the minority in my admiration for the design of this building, in this forum anyway: I wonder what the consensus would be from the general viewing public if they were given only two choices 'lame' or 'lovely'. My guess is "lovely"..... And, I would be willing to make a wager on that prediction.

The first photo shows the steel cleats being attached to the edge of the concrete slab; upon which one window panel will be hung - shown in the last 2 photos. This glass window panel is different from the other standard smooth glass panels: looks like what I would call ‘prismatic glass’ or ribbed glass.

Overall, this building facade has a very robust curtain wall assemblage; heavy stone slabs and substantial metal window framing/glass attached to the concrete formwork.

Any glass - curtain wall - experts out there: what is this called - ribbed glass, prismatic glass? This glass panel looks terrific: in terms of materials and construction quality, this building is the TAJ MAHAL of MANHATTAN….

I like this curtain wall assembly: the brass trim, massive stone facade panels, heavy gauge metal mullions and window frame assembly, thick high quality panes of glass. Those of us who are in the business - and a few others in the know - can see that this curtain wall design is something special, something sublime.

I am not getting paid by the developer or the architects to photograph and comment on the construction progress of this building: but I should……LOL

One of the construction workers pointed at me and said something today. I think he said, “that’s the guy who is posting pictures on the internet” - they are on to me…..

Quote Originally Posted by infoshare View Post
    551 West 21st Street - Residential/Commercial

http://551w21.com

This one is now above ground and rising fast: the website (and building itself) are both ‘high design’ eye candy. Enjoy……..

Some of the poetic waxes on the website are painful to read, even more so when you realize how hard they are trying to imbue this prosaic stack with words, as if we didn't have eyes to see it ourselves.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

That is a quality finish on the building. Maybe the brass will knock down with time?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast