Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 551 West 21st Street - residential/commercial

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

I went over and looked at this building in person. The gold looks nouvelle riche.

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    I went over and looked at this building in person. The gold looks nouvelle riche.
    That metal window frame detail is quite tastefull, and the materials are of high quality and well crafted. The simple shape of the building, and the basic all white stone facade did need a bit of glitter: maybe not shiny gold, perhaps a gunmetal finish would have looked a bit less tacky.

Looks like a building built by a bitter balding bigot.

That metal window frame detail is actually quite distasteful (70's trumpish), and unfortunately ruins the whole thing.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EastMillinocket View Post
    Looks like a building built by a bitter balding bigot.
    Say that fast three times!

There are several other large cast concrete units like this on trucks in front of the site today: the facade appears to be complete, so where they go - I don’t know.

That looks like the facade for 1 West End.

This building, along with 423 Park, remains one of my favorites which are currently reaching completion: entirely an 'opinion' based statement that I know few will agree. If there is anyone else following this project as closely as myself, any and all input would be greatly enjoyed. I have notice recently they have started welding the framing structure for the glass panels on the facade: all while the interior finishes, and fit-out is underway.

432 Park is about at the same stage of near completion: I have not been able to obtain any interior progress photos of either building - as of yet. http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showth...32+Park+Avenue

Here is an on-site update for one of the many components as the finishing touches to the building facade: notice the 'new' white half-round mullion caps used to cover the seams of the large window panes. This is all very substantial material being used on this facade: not run-of-the-mill curtain wall components. The building is a gem, and I enjoy watching every facet being put in place: stand by for more 'detailed' on-site updates.

The sheer MASS of this building is really quite exceptional: by mass I don’t mean size, but simply the total weight in LBS compared to any other new construction building of similar size.

There is nothing thin or flimsy or lightweight about out anything going into the building: there is layer upon layer of reinforced concrete, heavy and thick glass and precast stone on the curtain wall, the construction and assembly of the various components are all robust and well secured - I have observed this daily, and closely and am quite impressed. A lot of material, sheer mass alone, adds solidity and stature and status in a subtle and not easily perceptible way: when all that ‘material’ is well crafted, and assembled - the results are pleasing to the trained eye.

The aesthetics of the Architectural Design is another matter entirely; I find the appearance of the the building to be quite attractive, in a modest way, this is an understated design - even with the presence of the shiny metallic trim on the facade and around the window frames. I am typically refuted in my defense of ‘attractiveness’ of this building: and those rebuttals are all perfectly valid opinions.

However, no one can reasonably argue that this building is not being constructed with the massiveness and quality craftsmanship of a Medieval fortress or Castle: in that sense, and that sense alone, this building is indisputably exceptional.

Those U shaped caps went on to the large window frames at the street level: one of the many details I am watching go up as this building nears completion.

Last edited by infoshare; May 26th, 2016 at 09:49 AM. Reason: add photo

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234