Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newark vs. Jersey City: Measuring Contest

When did they increase service frequency? I did a search and the last mention I could find of that was from 2006, four years before the 2010 cuts. I even looked at NJT's online schedules, and the two services that run on the weekends only run once every 20 minutes weekends/holidays.

What exactly were the service improvements?

I must not have added but frequency on HBLR has been increased due to the Skyway inbound closure for the length of the project. I assume after the Skyway project is done, it will keep frequency up as ridership continues to grow.

We are going to diminish JC's skyline and impact based on what angle you look at it from and the level of how ignorant people are not being able to pick which building is where? How about when you look at the JC skyline on 78 in JC, or coming over the Bayonne Bridge, or coming over the Newark Bay Bridge, or on the Turnpike Western Spur, or on Route 3 in the Meadowlands, or driving over the George Washington Bridge, or the Verrazano, or driving on the Westside of Manhattan, or on the BQE in Brooklyn looking across New York Harbor? From those angles JC makes quite a visual impact. Just wait till the JSQ towers get going and add to JSQ skyline and we have two large clusters of skyscrapers. To top it all off, those skyscraper/high rise clusters sandwhich the Turnpike extension in JC and make a large impact on the driver.

Moody's makes good on it's threat. Good luck Ras; you're gonna need it.

=========

Moody's downgrades Newark's long-term debt rating

By Naomi Nix/The Star-Ledger
    Email the author | Follow on Twitter
    on May 22, 2014 at 1:06 PM, updated May 22, 2014 at 5:58 PM

Moody's Investors Service downgraded Newark's long-term debt rating after more news surfaced about the city's strained finances. Pictured in this file photo, is Newark's City Hall. (Aristide Economopoulos/The Star-Ledger)

NEWARK — Analysts at Moody's Investors Service made good on their promise.

The Wall Street service lowered the city's rating on Wednesday after warning several weeks ago it would consider taking such action if more negative information surfaced about the city's strained finances.

The service downgraded its rating of Newark's long-term debt from A3 to Baa1, the third lowest of 10 investor-grade rating levels.

"It means the analysts in Moodys believe the quality of Newark debt is lower than it used to be,” said Dan O'Flaherty, a Columbia University economist. "It's investment grade but getting to the bottom of the investment grade.”

The downgrade could have a limited impact on the city's ability to borrow money, O'Flaherty said.

"The City is extremely disappointed with Moody’s decision, however, remains steadfast and confident in its ability to address its financial situation," city spokeswoman Esmeralda Diaz Cameron said in a statement.

The investors service said in March that it would consider downgrading Newark's already low bond rating if information surfaced that the city would be significantly delayed in adopting a 2014 budget or if it faced a significant budget gap.

"Should information disclosed over the coming weeks reveal that the city's financial position has weakened or that the 2014 budgeting process will be delayed significantly with a material budget gap, we will likely take negative rating action," the investors wrote at the time.

That confirmation came quickly. In late April, Newark officials disclosed in a document for investors that the city may need more than $93 million dollars in additional revenue to balance its 2014 budget.

Newark officials said at the time, that the only way to balance the 2014 budget might be for the state to supervise the city's finance.

Much of the city's budget woes can be attributed to a shortfall in property tax collection in 2013 following a city-wide property reevaluation. The state requires Newark to roll its 2013 deficit into the 2014 budget.

Moody's analysts said Wednesday they continue to have a negative outlook on Newark's finances.

"The negative outlook reflects our view that Newark's financial position will continue to be strained with late budget adoptions and a persistent structural imbalance due to growing recurring expenditures coupled with revenue-raising limitations," the analysts wrote in an opinion.

This story has been updated to reflect a comment from the city.

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/20...wark_debt.html

Moody's did the same to Puerto Rico as soon as conservative Republican Luis Fortuño lost reelection to Tax and Spend Liberal "popular" Democrat and current Governor Alejandro Garcia Padilla.

MOODY'S IS TAKING PREVENTIVE MEASURES.

Er...you're from JC. You RECOGNIZE YOUR SKYLINE. I already said JC stands out from south (Brooklyn,Staten Island/Verrazano) and East (Manhattan).

JC cannot be distinguished fron NYC ,when looking from Newark,RT 3,78 UNTILL PAST BAYONNE LINE. Even then,with common sense and America's sad ignorance in Geography, Most cross Country Drivers will assume its all NYC.
    Unlike you, they CANNOT RECOGNIZE THE JC SKYLINE. When cross country drivers enter the Holland Tunnel NY bound,everyone assumes the river starts immediately, not realizing those towers are actually in NJ.

Forum Veteran

Can't really tell the difference from Secaucus...

Lower Manhattan & Jersey City viewed from Secaucus Junction - Secaucus,New Jersey by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

You can't really tell the difference? Youre reaching Nexis you really are. That's pretty thin. I think most people can realize that those clusters are not on the same side of the River. So Newarkguy only people from JC recognize their own skyline; nobody else anywhere recognizes it as JC? Nobody that has looked at a map or looks at Google Earth/Maps which is on every phone in everyones pocket? There are plenty of photos of JC skyline on Google, Facebook, and Instagram with JC #'s. All the people that go to Liberty State Park don't realize that the skyline of the of the very city they are in is JC? That's laughable that really is.

Quote Originally Posted by JCMAN320 View Post
    I must not have added but frequency on HBLR has been increased due to the Skyway inbound closure for the length of the project. I assume after the Skyway project is done, it will keep frequency up as ridership continues to grow.
    Do you have a link to an article? Or details regarding the changes? I was looking at the online schedules and the frequency still looks pretty poor. Where/when exactly were the frequencies increased? I literally cannot find a single article about it online. The last article I can find about increasing the frequencies is from 2006. And of course in 2010 the frequencies became worse.

Forum Veteran

No Service has been added since 2010 on the HBLR and NLR....the RiverLine got some more trains and will get a few hrs more on the weekend later this year. I haven't heard of anything about adding service on either to Urban systems. Just extending the trains length on the HBLR which has only been done to a few trains.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
    No Service has been added since 2010 on the HBLR and NLR
    I thought so. Thanks for the clarification. I remember the large cutbacks in 2010, including eliminating the line running north from Hoboken on the weekends entirely, and don't remember any announcement of those cuts being reverted, contrary to what JCMAN claims.

I said service was added due to Skyway closure.: http://www.state.nj.us/transportatio...14/041014.shtm

Forum Veteran

I said service was added due to Skyway closure.: http://www.state.nj.us/transportatio...14/041014.shtm
    I'm not sure how that even relieves congestion , its not like the system extends west into Newark before you cross the Skyway... It highlights the stupidity of planners in this state...

Well I'm assuming they assume people will use the PATH or NJT Commuter Rail to get between Newark Penn/NLR and Hudson County and use the HBLR to move throughout Hudson County to get where they have to go instead of driving around. The PATH is what really links the NLR and HBLR.

Forum Veteran

Well I'm assuming they assume people will use the PATH or NJT Commuter Rail to get between Newark Penn/NLR and Hudson County and use the HBLR to move throughout Hudson County to get where they have to go instead of driving around. The PATH is what really links the NLR and HBLR.
    But the PATH hasn't increased service , they have decreased it to do upgrades around Harrison...
    Last edited by Nexis4Jersey; June 12th, 2014 at 10:07 PM.

There's nothing in that link about HBLR.

'Motorists can put together convenient itineraries from a variety of public transportation agencies, including NJ TRANSIT bus, rail, and light rail service, PATH trains, ferries, and private buses. New service and additional capacity on these routes and modes exceeds the number of cars that must be diverted during each a.m. peak period.'

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast