Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Newark vs. Jersey City: Measuring Contest

Well Nexus idk what that what is response to but I'm glad you enjoy posting about 6 people getting shot on a crazy Halloween weekend in Jersey City. Funny cause all the crime talk lately has been about your fellow Newarkers concerned about the unabated crime in Newark and not from me. Of course JC has crime like I have always said but its significantly lower than similar sized cities. So yes we had a violent weekend but more and more its becoming the exception and not the norm. BTW what is Newark up to now 83 homicides I believe...your City is well on its way to surpassing its high last year of 93 with two more months left. JC is about 12 homicides this year so don't throw stones if you live in a glass house. Newark is one the most violent cities in the country that's a fact. Unlike you I don't find any enjoyment in posting these articles or comparing these tragic stats. You use this article as bait and post it as a sick way to take a swipe at JC as if you take pleasure in that 6 ppl got shot in JC and not Newark. On the times I posted about the crime numbers in Newark I was hoping to start a discussion about how can Newark get the crime rate under control to encourage a better City and I have said that before.

So idk why you felt compelled to post that article. Maybe you can't stand that JC is growing by leaps and bounds? Maybe you wanted to scare off a potential new resident or developer with the hopes of stearing them to Newark? Maybe you are secretly hoping this a symbol that JC is sliding backwards after 6 years of crime rates falling? Maybe you're just jealous of JC? This thread was to talk about the cities competing in development, transit, business etc...cities don't compete in crime. Crime should never be ignored and always confronted. Go back on NJ.com and post some more, this past month has actually been unusally violent for Jersey City but i have complete confidence that the criminals will be caught since they feel it might be the same group of ppl since this is out of the norm for us. Furthermore JC, Newark, and Paterson joined forces to share crime info with one another because they realize the criminals travel to all three cities. This initiative was led by our Mayor Steven Fulop. But I guess you don't want to have an intelligent conversation about crime. All this being said you have shown me and this forum your true colors as to the type of person you are.
    Last edited by JCMAN320; November 3rd, 2015 at 02:10 PM.

Forum Veteran

I deleted the post.... I keep telling you that I don't live in Newark...I live in Bergen County... This thread was to keep bashing and off topic posts out of the main threads... If I really hated Jersey City why would be defending it on other sites.... I defend all of Urban Jersey against stereotypical attacks ....so you can't say im bashing JC... Pointing out a current event is not attacking it... You do it all the time with Newark and other cities in NJ...
    Last edited by Nexis4Jersey; November 3rd, 2015 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
    I hope this doesn't turn into a 'versus' crime thread. I don't think that was the original intention of it. I see it turning south fast...
    Hey, you were right. And it didn't take long. JCMAN acts fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
    I deleted the post.... I keep telling you that I don't live in Newark...I live in Bergen County... This thread was to keep bashing and off topic posts out of the main threads... If I really hated Jersey City why would be defending it on other sites.... I defend all of Urban Jersey against stereotypical attacks ....so you can't say im bashing JC... Pointing out a current event is not attacking it... You do it all the time with Newark and other cities in NJ...
    You're a riot you know that? Why post that if not take a shot at JC for a rare weekend of violence? You may not hate but you definitely have JC envy.

Oh BTW for all the other people on this forum he edited the post I'm responding to. He said "I deleted the post but still reported the numbers to US crime thread on SSP/SSC".

Good for you on reporting those numbers. I hope you report all our crime stats because JC will still come out as the safest big city NJ no matter what you do. Do you report Newark's with such gusto as well? Or Paterson or Elizabeth? All of which have higher crime stats than JC.

Attacked? Make me sound like Atila the Hun. Lol. When was the last time I "attacked" Newark or any other city by posting a news article about a shooting or homicide without context or as part of a larger conversation? It must be quite some time ago. If I were to be like you I would have posted an article for one of every 84 homicides and shootings which occer with high frequency.

When I post in the Newark thread I'm usually contributing to convo. When I last posted about crime it was in response to what others in the Newark thread were talking about in regards to the rise in homicides. But funny you don't say jack to them. But of course come after me.

I'm not upset you posted that article, I'm upset the matter at which you posted it and without context. Too bad you don't live in the city you love so much, maybe you'd have a better understanding on the effect of Newark's crime rate. I see it daily since my girlfriend lives in Newark hence my concern and anger about it. Try that for context bud.
    Last edited by JCMAN320; November 3rd, 2015 at 10:10 PM.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by JCMAN320 View Post
    You're a riot you know that? Why post that if not take a shot at JC for a rare weekend of violence? You may not hate but you definitely have JC envy.

Oh BTW for all the other people on this forum he edited the post I'm responding to. He said "I deleted the post but still reported the numbers to US crime thread on SSP/SSC".

Good for you on reporting those numbers. I hope you report all our crime stats because JC will still come out as the safest big city NJ no matter what you do. Do you report Newark's with such gusto as well? Or Paterson or Elizabeth? All of which have higher crime stats than JC.

Attacked? Make me sound like Atila the Hun. Lol. When was the last time I "attacked" Newark or any other city by posting a news article about a shooting or homicide without context or as part of a larger conversation? It must be quite some time ago. If I were to be like you I would have posted an article for one of every 84 homicides and shootings which occer with high frequency.

When I post in the Newark thread I'm usually contributing to convo. When I last posted about crime it was in response to what others in the Newark thread were talking about in regards to the rise in homicides. But funny you don't say jack to them. But of course come after me.

I'm not upset you posted that article, I'm upset the matter at which you posted it and without context. Too bad you don't live in the city you love so much, maybe you'd have a better understanding on the effect of Newark's crime rate. I see it daily since my girlfriend lives in Newark hence my concern and anger about it. Try that for context bud.
    Oh that such BS right there....you always post something that either derails the convo or stops it for a while with an attack on Newark... Usually just straight up bashing sometimes... Yes we know its rising and falling and rising...you just seem to add little comments on the top of the article to flame the convo. I can't afford JC...nor would I live there... I rather live in Weehawken , Harrison , South Orange , The Ironbound , Northwest Philly , Center City Philly , East Rock New Haven or Fleetwood... You keep saying ur concerned about , why don't you move in or she moves in with you....

Damn JCMAN I think you are blowing this way out of proportion. First and foremost, he posted the article in this thread outside all the good vibes that the JC forum has been seeing lately. He did this knowing full well that someone there would take offense to it as it is bringing down a thread that is meant to be a positive reinforcement of the city. I agree the way he posted it was a bit misleading especially with no context, but I do not think there was any harm to it. I think he was just trying to show that it is not all sunshine in JC even if it is the safest big city in Jersey. Though, I do want to remind you that recently you have been using these articles to further a conversation in the thread, but there are times when you would just put it up in the Newark thread and kind of try to discredit the development that Newark is seeing. For example, when Chipotle opened people were excited about it as it showed a commitment to Newark's redevelopment. You proceeded to write that it wasn't a big deal as JC has new restaurants opening up every day and then posted an article of Newark's crime and budget problems. On top of that the next day you posted a development in JC that was no different from chipotle's opening in downtown Newark. Now you may have done that with good intentions of starting conversation about serious problems that face the great city of Newark, but your outward actions did not show that and it rubbed some people the wrong way. I highly doubt Nexis has JC envy as the guy literally posts in both forums and constantly updates both with pictures of the developments in all NJ cities. You on the other hand, I feel, has to come to JC's defense anytime something negative comes out about it. I feel like you love to kind of shy away from serious problems in JC. Your message to the Newark thread is extremely counter intuitive, as you never talk about the negative things in JC, but expect Newark's to be talked about. Basically, all I am saying is if you want a topic of crime and problems in Newark to be talked about in the same light as the positive developments in Newark, expect people to try to hold you to the same standard for Jersey City. It has problems that are reported about, but I never see you bring it up. Outside of this little altercation, I just want you to understand I do not think that post was an attack on JC, and I want to say good job with the JC board as its great to see all the development happening in JC even if I dont go there often and then to see Newark's building boom its great to see our cities are getting a second chance.

I took a break from this forum for this exact BS. One don't suggest what her and I should or shouldn't do. She wants to get out of Newark. Stick to the rails bud its what you know best. It may have come off as bashing but that's not my intention. Of course JC has its issues as does every city I have never been shy about that. In fact go back I started a thread years ago that mentioned somethings I was concerned about. My point is JC has no where near the amount of issues Newark has. Thanks for the compliment but discussions on issues in JC have not come on JC board. Someone wants to discuss issues bring it up.
    Last edited by JCMAN320; November 3rd, 2015 at 11:53 PM.

Forum Veteran

I took a break from this forum for this exact BS. One don't suggest what her and I should or shouldn't do. She wants to get out of Newark. Stick to the rails bud its what you know best. It may have come off as bashing but that's not my intention. Of course JC has its issues as does every city I have never been shy about that. In fact go back I started a thread years ago that mentioned somethings I was concerned about. My point is JC has no where near the amount of issues Newark has. Thanks for the compliment but discussions on issues in JC have not come on JC board. Someone wants to discuss issues bring it up.
    Your the one who keeps bringing up your GF's situation.... Everytime there's a spike in Newark crime or something happens in the Ironbound you feel the need to tell us you worry about your GF... Or to further attack Newark... Your the only one who rips into Newark when there is spike... Or even when someone or myself posts something positive you down play it.. Its abit childish and something I never encounter from other members or on other sites. People tend to focus more on the good and ignore the bad...which is everywhere in society these days.. JC also feeds off NYC along with the rest of the Gold Coast while Newark and the rest of Urban Jersey are more independent so its abit of a struggle at times to grow or attract developers...but that is starting to pick up. Like Jaynor said im well balanced when it comes to Urban Jersey on SSC & SSP. I give Newark & Jersey City = coverage on my weekly updates...just not to much here anywhere...and probably less once the overhaul of the US section on SSC is completed in December.

I mentioned that one time about the incidents in the Ironbound because again someone else mentioned and I gave an opinion from my point of view. Is that not appropriate to do? There isn't a spike with crime in Newark, its pretty steady. Again I'm not attacking Newark but you keep playing that narrative. I keep saying that last time I commented on the crime in Newark it was part of a larger conversation that was being had. I made my case but I'm wrong even though other members said I wasn't in Newark thread. And who took the last comment before today and moved it from the Newark thread to here as to not to derail Newark thread to quote you? I did.

First and foremost, I never even brought up your GF in the conversation I am only making a suggestion from what I and others see. If she wants to leave Newark, by all means she should move no reason to have her stay in a place she doesnt like. Im pretty sure someone else will come along to take her place and see the opportunities that Newark has to offer. Second, like I said it may not have been your intention, but the outward expression to others looks as if it is bashing. Its very much like contract law, just because you entered a contract as a joke that does not mean you should not honor that contract, especially if it seems to everyone else that the contract was done in good faith. When you posted those articles it may have been with the best intentions, but the way you worded things and try to down play the good news in Newark came off as just a Newark diss. That is all I am saying. Im all for an educated discussion about Newark's budget problems and crime as it should be discussed, but make that intention known to people when you post things so it doesnt rub people the wrong way. It will save everyone a huge amount of time that can be used to discuss the topic instead of enter another argument that started because of a misunderstanding. Lastly, I would love for people to discuss the issues facing not just Newark, but JC. Though, my only issue is I do not really know how you would take it. I mean you literally told Nexis that he was envious of Jersey City and that his link to an article was an attempt to discourage potential residents and developers from investing in JC. I mean really. He posted in a thread with little to no traffic. Now if he posted that on the JC Rising thread I might look at it through your eyes, but I seriously doubt anyone is truly looking at this thread with only 4 pages of responses saying "hmmmm should I choose Newark or Jersey City". For that answer they are looking at the dedicated threads for each city. Look my intentions here is not to make you disappear from this forum. I enjoy the work and dedication you put into the forum, even if I don't agree with how you think a city should be built. I just want a place where we can post about topics that face our cities both good and bad without constantly having to argue about it. Both cities are economically tied at the hip so one failing will hurt the other, and until we truly understand that we will constantly have these stupid arguments that are not productive at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
    Your the one who keeps bringing up your GF's situation.... Everytime there's a spike in Newark crime or something happens in the Ironbound you feel the need to tell us you worry about your GF... Or to further attack Newark... Your the only one who rips into Newark when there is spike... Or even when someone or myself posts something positive you down play it.. Its abit childish and something I never encounter from other members or on other sites. People tend to focus more on the good and ignore the bad...which is everywhere in society these days.. JC also feeds off NYC along with the rest of the Gold Coast while Newark and the rest of Urban Jersey are more independent so its abit of a struggle at times to grow or attract developers...but that is starting to pick up. Like Jaynor said im well balanced when it comes to Urban Jersey on SSC & SSP. I give Newark & Jersey City = coverage on my weekly updates...just not to much here anywhere...and probably less once the overhaul of the US section on SSC is completed in December.
    Oh my goodness I 100% agree with this quote. The WNY Newark and JC forums are a wonderful resource, but they are a pain to read exactly because of this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234