Thread: Caracas, Venezuela

Default Caracas, Venezuela

Default Caracas

Wow. That presentation gets it's point out. (At the top of the website)
    I have not visited Carcas, but a friend of mine was born there. Thank you Mr.Wieland for the information.

Forum Veteran

Default Caracas

I've been to La Guaira, a port town north of Caracas. *Pretty seedy.

Five murders a day? *Yeesh, and idiots in this country say New York is crime-ridden. *We ought to send them all to Caracas and see how they appreciate us then.

HONG KONG (ORIGINALLY FROM THE PHILIPPINES)

I was reading an article about a district called Catia, "THE GHETTO" of Caracas and said about how bad the crime rate is there. It is where most of the public housing projects are located. Honestly, I don't think the crime-rate in Caracas is that bad. Compare Caracas with Manila. Manila is one nasty CRIME-RIDDEN ghetto! If not, any city in Colombia or Brazil.

Some images of Catia

A housing project in Catia

more projects

Catia, PROJECT city

Forum Veteran

Worldview's study on Dhaka, Bangladesh, is complete.

I past through Caracas, it's huge, but there is a lot of poor people living on the mountains around at night, it's spectacular to see little lights on the mountains !! My girlfriend is from Venezuela, I've been there twice, some skyscrapers in downtown !!

Caracas frequently rates first as the city with the most murders worldwide, and is generally one of the top 3 most crime-ridden cities in the world.

I read an article which attributed much of this violence to poverty, and willingness of many inidividuals to act as semi-professional hitmen for just $10 or $20 US dollars per kill. The result is that anytime there is a disagreement or conflict between two people or groups of people, these cheap guns-for-hire are employed and people end up dead. Imagine if in America, whenever someone pissed you off, all you had to do was walk down the street and hire a hitman for a few bucks to have that person killed. Now, apparently, many disputes in Caracas are settled with hitmen, and people are killed for dirty looks, real or perceived insults, and all sorts of other petty reasons.

People are so desperate for cash, and the conviction rate is so low that becoming a hitman is an easy choice to make for those who have no other options. It doesn't take brains or brawn to kill - just desperation and a lack of empathy: there's no question that a large percentage of Caracas' population could meet these criteria.

Other cities and countries that frequently top the list for highest crime / murder rates are:

Kingston, Jamaica
    Johannesburg, South Africa and South Africa in general
    Colombia in general
    Rio De Janeiro also has very high murder rates in its favelas, but crime is not quite as endemic there (yet) as in Caracas.

BL BC