Thread: Old buildings that have had retail space retrofit into them?

Default Old buildings that have had retail space retrofit into them?

I'm trying to put together a list of old buildings in the city that have had (or will have) retail space retrofit into them, if anyone can help.

Manhattan:
    -west side of 6th Ave. between 15th and 16th
    -195 Broadway

Brooklyn:
    -354 Adams St.
    -Brooklyn Municipal Building

How about all of SoHo? (Not that I want to encourage more over-illuminated retail in the neighborhood, but it's pretty much already been done across every square inch down here, where retail was originally found 100+ years ago, then disappeared for the better part of the 20th Century, until starting a return in the 1980's.)

Best example of a major-retro fit for retail is the Prada store, NW corner of Broadway & Prince. Prior to Prada the space was reconfigured for the SoHo branch of the Guggenheim Museum (1991 - 1999) and, for decades before that, it was "raw industrial space".

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    How about all of SoHo? (Not that I want to encourage more over-illuminated retail in the neighborhood, but it's pretty much already been done across every square inch down here, where retail was originally found 100+ years ago, then disappeared for the better part of the 20th Century, until starting a return in the 1980's.)

Best example of a major-retro fit for retail is the Prada store, NW corner of Broadway & Prince. Prior to Prada the space was reconfigured for the SoHo branch of the Guggenheim Museum (1991 - 1999) and, for decades before that, it was "raw industrial space".
    Exactly. I worked on the Bloomingdale's reno' at 504 Broadway for many months a few years back. Cutting through massive brick walls for escalator access and so on. I enjoy going into that store as I can point to certain areas and say "I remember the guys laying the bricks in that old beam pocket".

Any other big projects along Broadway in SoHo that you worked on?

Any other big projects along Broadway in SoHo that you worked on?
    The only other job I put up in Soho was a double building between Greene and Mercer. That was a new one from the ground up though.

i'd guess that's the one along West Houston?

i'd guess that's the one along West Houston?
    92-94 Greene St and 109 Mercer St.