Thread: Venting at a slumlord?

Default Venting at a slumlord?

Hey,

Former New Yorker here... I was wondering if there's any means to register a complaint against a slumlord that doesn't involve legal matters. I got royally screwed over by slumlords that refused repairs, didn't turn on heat this winter, found a way to jack my stabilized apartment 30%, smashed holes in my wall with inept repairmen, and finally stole my security for predating wear and tear. I've long since given up hope of getting my security back, I just want to find a way to complain.
    Last edited by USSManhattan; July 7th, 2014 at 07:04 PM.

If you no longer live in the apartment, then your key way of getting reimbursement, by filing in action in housing court, is no longer available to you. Also, any action regarding illegal rent increases, apparently due to the unit being rent stabilized and thereby under control of the NYS Division of Housing & Community Renewal, is no longer an option. And unfortunately for both you and future tenants, by not acting during the period when you were a protected tenant in that unit, the landlord has now been able to de-regulate that unit and improperly -- and forever -- take it out of the "affordable housing" category.

The security deposit might be obtainable via small claims court. But if you don't live in NYC then that will be a pain to pursue.

So vent away, here at WNY ...

And if I've made incorrect assumptions about your prior situation, apologies in advance.

I actually tried to do the things you said when I was still living here. NYSDHC refused to get involved. Besides, the slumlords purposely engineered it so that they could steal it by refusing repairs, inspections or even responding to me, so there really was little I could have done anyway.

No, actually... I'm done with New York. I wanted to move there my whole life, and all I found was dead end jobs, abusive relationships, selfish people who were fixated on the most petty things, anxiety to the point it was hurting me mentally and physically, and a job market I couldn't penetrate. I don't regret my seven years there... but nor do I regret them coming to an end. This may be my last post, since I really don't even want to think about the place right now.

I'm moving to Prague anyway; I should focus on that.

Thanks, though.

Prague! Hope you have good times there. It's a fantastically beautiful city.