Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 23 of 23

Thread: Artic Ice Cap Just Keeps On Growing!!

  1. #16

    Default

    Are you still arguing that humans have had little effect on "Mother Nature?"

    Seems to me your argument is more about human nature.

  2. #17
    Forum Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    2,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wobert Wedford View Post
    Meanwhile back here in Europe the EU is telling us we can't buy powerful vacuum cleaners or hair-dryers and must reduce our intake of meat and dairy products in order to combat 'climate change' ..... even 4-slice toasters are coming under scrutiny because in some households they waste energy!
    IMO those are pointless measures that will have little effect on carbon emissions, since as you state India & China will burn every last fossil fuel it can get its hands on. That does not negate though, the fact that climate change is occurring. These governments just have no clue what to do about it and are bumbling with arbitrary feel-good regulations that accomplish exactly nothing.

    I think the key to combating carbon emissions is going to be filtering it out from the atmosphere, and the long term development of alternative fuels in the form of cheaper, higher efficiency solar voltaics, wind turbines, and hopefully one day fusion

  3. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 212 View Post
    What, somebody expected the Daily Mail to be accurate?

    Phil Plait at Slate tears the story apart here.

    Summer sea ice varies a lot from year to year much like the weather. But the long-term trend is for less sea ice in the Arctic, about 3% per decade. That's why Russia, Canada and the United States are busy plotting Arctic shipping routes.

    At the South Pole it's a different story, where sea ice has been growing at 0.8% per decade. Unfortunately, one reason is probably glacier melt. This is terrible because 70% of the Earth's fresh water is locked in the Antarctic ice sheet, which is up to a mile thick. The more this melts (and yes it's melting), the more the seas will rise.
    Welcome back!

  4. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    .. the fact that climate change is occurring.
    It is not a fact, climate change alarmism is a belief system, and many scientific voices challenge the assumptions often made about the subject. It has become almost like a fundamentalist religion with talk of 'climate change deniers' that deliberately echo the phrase 'holocaust deniers', and those that do not agree with the orthodoxy of climate change are treated as deranged herectics! Personally, I believe the GWPF have a more balanced view on the subject without all the hysteria that usually accompanies what emanates from the 'true believers'.
    http://www.thegwpf.org/content/uploa...ate-change.pdf

  5. #20
    Forum Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    2,129

    Default

    The alarmism is completely warranted, and very much based on empirical data & the scientific norms that you owe much of your prosperity to

  6. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wobert Wedford View Post
    It is not a fact, climate change alarmism is a belief system,
    So the discipline is actually called Climate Change Alarmism, or did you make that up?

    and many scientific voices challenge the assumptions often made about the subject.
    Citations please.

    It has become almost like a fundamentalist religion with talk of 'climate change deniers' that deliberately echo the phrase 'holocaust deniers',
    Point of view. Many see just the opposite.

    Fundamentalists won't accept any scientific evidence about anything. True science welcomes - actually requires -peer review and dissent. You cite the many scientific voices that don't agree, but you dismiss the science as Alarmism. That to me is much like the religious fundamentalist dismissing the scientist as an atheist.

    Personally, I believe the GWPF have a more balanced view on the subject without all the hysteria that usually accompanies what emanates from the 'true believers'.
    The GWPF is a political organization.

    At its head is Nigel Lawson; and its director is Benny Peiser.

    On Peiser
    Peiser acknowledges that he is "not a climate scientist" and has "never claimed to be one." His interest as a social anthropologist, is in "how climate change is portrayed as a potential disaster and how we respond to that."

  7. #22
    I admit I have a problem
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    North Koreatown
    Posts
    532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eddhead View Post
    Welcome back!
    Thanks eddhead! The water's warm(ing).

  8. #23

    Default

    Including the balance of scientific views, this is what a real global warming debate looks like.


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Google+ - Facebook - Twitter - Meetup

Edward's photos on Flickr - Wired New York on Flickr - In Queens - In Red Hook - Bryant Park - SQL Backup Software