Thread: It's official: Ebola is here

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Default It's official: Ebola is here

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Keep your fingers crossed this thing did not spread while the doctor was traveling around the city on the subways.

The media have been begging for this. They yearn for mass fear and hysteria. In this case over nothing.

I admit I have a problem

Default Good Q&A Here

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/1...ublic-transit/

It is extremely unlikely for the Ebola virus to spread through public transit for several reasons.

Not all viruses build up to infectious doses in all bodily fluids. Usually, Ebola does not at first make victims cough or sneeze, although someone who also had the flu could, in theory, spray vomitus or blood. Once Ebola invades the lungs, the body will cough to clear them. But passengers that deathly ill are not likely to be on public transit.

According to the recent W.H.O. statement, high levels of Ebola virus in saliva are rare except in the sickest victims, and whole virus has never been found in sweat. The fluids known to build up high viral loads are blood, feces and vomit.

How much virus is needed to cause illness is not exactly known. Viruses differ that way. In any group that shares needles, hepatitis C will spread more readily than H.I.V. because smaller doses infect.

No one has tested Ebola transmission on subways. But no case of transmission to a human from a dry surface has ever been confirmed.

The C.D.C. has said there is “no epidemiological evidence” for transmission from hospital surfaces, including bed rails and door knobs – which are as close as a hospital room gets to having a subway pole and a bus handle. A 2007 study cited by C.D.C. experts shows that swabs of 31 surfaces — including bed frames, a spit bowl and a used stethoscope — in a very dangerous environment, an active Ebola ward in Uganda — did not have virus in a single sample.

So how might Ebola be passed on a subway? If someone ejected bloody mucus or vomitus onto a subway pole, and the next passenger were to touch it while it was still wet and then, for some unimaginable reason, were to put those wet fingers into an eye or mouth instead of wiping them in disgust — then yes, it could happen. Similarly, if an extremely ill passenger with high viral saliva loads were to sneeze large, wet droplets directly into the mouth or eyes of another passenger, the infection might be passed. But the influenza route — sneeze to hand to pole to hand to eye — has never been known to happen and is considered extremely unlikely.

Africa is full of overcrowded public transport — buses, minivans and some trains. There are no known instances of transmission in those environments. On July 20, a dying Liberian-American flew to Nigeria and was vomiting on the plane. All 200 people aboard were monitored; none fell ill.

Dr. Craig Spencer, the patient with Ebola currently in isolation in Bellevue Hospital, did ride the subways since arriving in New York on Oct. 14. He rode the A, L and No. 1 trains, according to Dr. Mary Bassett, the New York City health commissioner. Dr. Bassett said Dr. Spencer had been taking his temperature twice a day since he left Guinea. Until Thursday morning, his temperature was normal and he was not experiencing any of the early symptoms of Ebola disease, such as nausea or diarrhea. Ebola experts say the disease cannot be transmitted before the appearance of symptoms.

Q. Many viruses (such as herpes) can be transmitted before a person shows symptoms. Why is that not the case for Ebola?

A. The basic answer is that all viruses are different. In the case of Ebola, you have to get a basic all-over body infection with infected blood and vomit coming out of you before you can pass the disease on to anybody else.

Forum Veteran

I don't know about you but I'm in the mood to throw on a pair of sweaty rental shoes and bowl down some pins

Who's with me??

I, for one, welcome our new viral overlords.

This board is going to be super quiet and devoid of photos when you're all dead next week*.

*Please note intense sarcasm.

if you can make it here ...

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

*sends spirochete to Boulder...*

I know what's up if I come home to a flaming bag of poop on my porch!