Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 West End - Luxury Condo building at Riverside Center by Silverstein Properties

Default 1 West End - Luxury Condo building at Riverside Center by Silverstein Properties

Another foundation is being poured at Riverside South or "Riverside Center" as it is being called. It is on the Corner of West 60th and West End, right after the name change from 11th Avenue and is being developed by Silverstein Properties and the Elad Group. The development is being called 1 West End. How nice. I haven't been able to find many pictures, besides this one on Curbed, plus some I took of the new signage and poking through the fence (actually a good photo of the BIG project on West 57th).

From Curbed: http://cdn.cstatic.net/images/gridfs...e/IMG_3514.jpg
    Last edited by Czervik.Construction; November 14th, 2014 at 04:48 PM.

Holy Overhang Batman!

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Riverside Center is starting to turn into a bunch of junk buildings. All those sexy Portzamparc towers were just the bait.

Looking like a continuation of Riverside Blvd buildings, mid 2010s style.

Forum Veteran

On SotaWall:

That looks decent.

So what's the over/under for the old power plant getting a glassy tower addition? I say one is at least proposed in the next 5 years.

Given the residential boom going on why not convert part of the old plant into a Chelsea Market type indoor market?

Too glassy. In my opinion glassy is not classy; the fašade need some texture, some solidity - and the interiors just feel better as well.

Maybe they could give that cantilevered section a glass floor since that seems to be quite a popular thing to do at the moment (Eiffel Tower, et al) .

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Is there a reason for that silly cantilever or are they just trying to be cute?

I'm beginning to wonder if half of the cantilevers in the city are necessary, or just a developer's way of making more affordable space. This building obviously does not need one.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

They're doing it because they can get away with it.

Note that a cantilever gives the developer more floor space in the more valuable and more easily-made-into residential units than the base. It's really difficult to use up all that floor area in a building podium because so much of it is windowless, and courtyard facing apartments are both out of vogue and difficult to get $1,000+ psf from. By having the cantilever (instead of say, setbacks - the tower would be smaller to comply with sky-plane zoning requirements, they are able to maximize the valuable tower space. Developers to things to make money, which I guess can translate to 'getting away with it,' but they're not doing it just for laughs.

but they're not doing it just for laughs.
    I don't think anyone is laughing...(crying maybe).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast