Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 321 West 35th Street

Default 321 West 35th Street

16 Nov 2014

It's an epidemic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic View Post
    It's an epidemic.
    Yes, and one that's been raging for a decade. Two mayors, neither of them cared about the most unfortunate trend in the city's built environment. Sucks.

Really? This? Not the outrageous un-affordability of real estate in the city? These hotels are at least well occupied and bringing a ridiculous amount of tourist and business travel dollars to the city. The fact that apartments even in Washington Heights are trading for 5 times what they were in 2000 seems like a bigger issue RE the built environment to me. I'd even put the utter lack of new transportation infrastructure in a city where ridership levels now exceed their post war heights seems to be comically unfortunate. Sure there might be some stuff coming, but all of it is so ridiculously behind, and has been in the works for ages.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

It's a natural progression of the pendulum swing-back from suburban flight, plus population increases. I think you would be hard pressed to find any city doing remotely well where prices haven't gone up in the core area.
    Related news items:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/19/re...partments.html

http://www.brooklyndaily.com/stories...k_2014_47.html

http://www.npr.org/2014/11/18/364062...ife-in-poverty

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/201...ngest-commutes
    Last edited by stache; November 19th, 2014 at 04:35 AM. Reason: I'm bring pedantic.

I don't think we should be so easy to dismiss the rising prices. While there is real pressure to move back into downtowns, the ones with the worst price increases: NYC, SF, DC, and Boston are systematically underbuilding compared to demand. New York City is still not building more than about 14,000 apartments per year. This is significantly less than the number of people who would like to be here and for prices to stabilize. It's clear that there is the demand, and that units can be profitable without costing $1,300psf on average. This isn't an intractable problem, and frankly, it's a problem that of the 1m housing starts in the US in the last year, 2/3rds of them are still single family homes.

They're building where the land is cheap.

The hotels are fantastic for the city, and I hope this is just the beginning. Every new hotel basically heals the city, and brings it back to the era before cars and suburbanization scarred the environment.

It will be amazing to see all the parking lots and taxpayers replaced by density, vitality and taxpayer revenue.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

I think we go through one of these discussions once every few months and yet ASchwarz still don't get it.

No one here is against construction and development. We all want it. In fact, I personally think for the most, the zoning in this city is too restrictive and that we should build bigger buildings. Yes, we are aware of the tax revenue, employment, and much needed new units. We know all that. We want the city to prosper.

The problem that we have is the form and architecture of these new buildings. That is what we are criticising, not development.

They are the absolutely worst one can conceivably imagine people can build in this day and age. Horrendous setbacks from the streetwall (or in other cases, not doing setbacks where it is visually needed), retarded looking and/or the cheapest fašades, blankwalls where none is necessary, exposed floorplates, balconies (for condos), wavy glass, AC vents, etc. Every and any way one can make a building look cheap and bad, they do it.

It isn't one or two of these wrecks in the city, they're everywhere and there's new ones popping up seemingly every few blocks. Eventually, they will be one of the defining building types in the city. That shouldn't be acceptable. A city like New York shouldn't look cheap and cookie cutter.

If we all agree that there is a problem, then maybe we can move the discussion on to what can be done about it but without hindering development.

Good luck with that!

+1

Perfectly said, AntiNimby.

That's the hard part. Most people, including the developers obviously, don't care what these buildings look like. One the outside especially. You won't see this madness in San Francisco.

Or even Chicago or Philly.

Or there's not just a giant forum dedicated to complaining about shady architecture in those places. Are you really going to try and persuade me that Wanamaker Plaza in Philly is better than any of the stuff going up here?

Or the half-built Waterfront Square?

Default I'm not trying to convince you of anything.

I'm stating my opinion. Wanamaker Plaza is in North Philly, which is like Queens for us (that nobody cares about) and yes, I think Waterfront Square looks better than a typical Poon hotel. What bothers me about Waterfront is its lack of dialogue with the street grid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast