Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 321 West 35th Street

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic View Post
    That's the hard part. Most people, including the developers obviously, don't care what these buildings look like. One the outside especially. You won't see this madness in San Francisco.
    You're right, you won't see this in any other U.S. city. NYC is the only place (in the U.S.) where such pedestrian-oriented buildings are built. Sorry that there's one exception to the U.S. autotopia and crap planning.

In every other U.S. city, hotels would be built with extensive parking and auto-oriented design. Even in SF or Chicago or DC, no hotel would be built without parking and auto accommodations, including driveway, off-sidewalk entrance, and other vitality-killing designs.

But in NYC, tiny sites are valuable enough to build skyscraper hotels, with not a single parking space. That's fantastic news for the city, and I hope every parking lot and taxpayer in NYC is filled in with these sliver buildings. They're great for the streetscape, the economy, and the built form. They often come with street level restaurants, or retail, or at least lobbies, so you're animating former dead spaces. It's basically repairing the fabric of the city following the age of the auto.

Chicago and SF and DC can keep their parking lots and taxpayers and parking garage-dominated hotels, and you can continue to swoon over autotopia everywhere else in the country. I prefer Manhattan, not Paramus.

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    I'm stating my opinion. Wanamaker Plaza is in North Philly, which is like Queens for us (that nobody cares about)
    And this is a good summary of the logically bankrupt criticism of the hotels. "I'm ignorant about anything outside of Midtown Manhattan, and so will make blanket claims about design in Midtown Manhattan relative to everywhere else in the U.S. while being completely ignorant about anything outside my neighborhood".

Anyone who travels this country knows that new buildings in NYC, on average, are quite good, both in terms of architecture, and design. No place in the U.S. comes close to the quality of the top-tier buildings u/c in NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by ASchwarz View Post
    And this is a good summary of the logically bankrupt criticism of the hotels. "I'm ignorant about anything outside of Midtown Manhattan, and so will make blanket claims about design in Midtown Manhattan relative to everywhere else in the U.S. while being completely ignorant about anything outside my neighborhood".

Anyone who travels this country knows that new buildings in NYC, on average, are quite good, both in terms of architecture, and design. No place in the U.S. comes close to the quality of the top-tier buildings u/c in NYC.
    Boston is beating the pants off New York in new architecture. Boston has nothing like the armies of Kaufman streetwall-killing shoeboxes going up (the dominant architectural style in Manhattan these days, by number of buildings actually built). It has much higher standards despite huge amounts of construction. It makes New York look like the ghetto.

It's really easy to get excited about Kaufman streetwall-killing shoeboxes if one is quiet adept at buying strawmen arguments, like those arising from A Schwarz, or at setting very low expectations that have little to do with how buildings are actually constructed in Manhattan - driveways, parking garages, lack of streetlevel retail space, etc.

Well, of course, Kaufman streetwall-killing shoeboxes are more pedestrian-friendly than something one may find in Milwaukee or Omaha. I'll concede that. But who ever argued otherwise?

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

^ Yup.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

^ What he said.

Default 21 Dec 2014

Seen from 36th St looking south

this shit is supposed to open on November 19:

http://www.ihg.com/evenhotels/hotels...tt/hoteldetail

opening date has been postponed to December 3:

http://www.ihg.com/evenhotels/hotels...tt/hoteldetail

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12