Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Global Warming?

Default Global Warming?

A little bit inconvienent for our Global Warming zealots!

Robot Sub Finds Surprisingly Thick Antarctic Sea Ice
    https://uk.news.yahoo.com/robot-sub-...5.html#GUgSoOy

An expensive 'jolly' for our pious global climate zealots .... 5-star hotels, plenty of air travel, and unsustainable food sources, but who cares, it's all free!!!!
    Global climate talks involving 192 nations saved from collapse but loophole means countries could still continue polluting the environment

• Talks overran by 31 hours as politicians struggled to reach agreement
    • 192 countries represented at fortnight-long United Nations summit in Peru
    • They agreed to a watered-down deal which postpones the most difficult decisions over reducing pollution for another year

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ma-summit.html

What the deceitful political elite don't want us to know:

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/01/21/2 ... 000-years/

This again? Really??

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Wobert Wedford View Post
    A little bit inconvienent for our Global Warming zealots!
    https://uk.news.yahoo.com/robot-sub-...5.html#GUgSoOy
    The Antarctic ice mass is still largely intact, the big problem there is the ice shelf. If the edges melt off what will happen is the masses of ice will begin to slide into the ocean and breakoff/melt. This should concern you greatly. No matter how you look at it, the future for the next generations is going to suck. Not sure why so many people in this country choose to bury their heads in the sand, it's unconscionable

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    The Antarctic ice mass is still largely intact, the big problem there is the ice shelf. If the edges melt off what will happen is the masses of ice will begin to slide into the ocean and breakoff/melt. This should concern you greatly. No matter how you look at it, the future for the next generations is going to suck. Not sure why so many people in this country choose to bury their heads in the sand, it's unconscionable
    An important word 'If'. There are many suppositions I could make using the word 'If' as a starting point, but I won't!

Yeah, what you do is much much better.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Wobert Wedford View Post
    An important word 'If'. There are many suppositions I could make using the word 'If' as a starting point, but I won't!
    Absolutely, you can use "if" for an infinite number of suppositions. That's why science relies on empirical evidence/data. The facts are that global temperatures are rising and at the highest level in recorded history, that the arctic ice mass is rapidly melting, and that's it's not a stretch to predict that similar effects are likely in the antarctic at this pace

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Absolutely, you can use "if" for an infinite number of suppositions. That's why science relies on empirical evidence/data. The facts are that global temperatures are rising and at the highest level in recorded history, that the arctic ice mass is rapidly melting, and that's it's not a stretch to predict that similar effects are likely in the antarctic at this pace
    Global warming? No, actually we're cooling, claim scientists

A cold Arctic summer has led to a record increase in the ice cap, leading experts to predict a period of global cooling.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/eart...cientists.html

Forum Veteran

"A record warm December sealed the deal to make 2014 the warmest year across the world's land and ocean surfaces since recordkeeping began in 1880. The average temperature for the year was0.69C (1.24F) above the 20th century average of 13.9C (57.0F), beating the previous record warmth of 2010 and 2005 by 0.04C (0.07F)."

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/

From the Telegraph article:

At the time some scientists forecast an imminent ice age.

Professor Anastasios Tsonis, of the University of Wisconsin, said: "We are already in a cooling trend, which I think will continue for the next 15 years at least. There is no doubt the warming of the 1980s and 1990s has stopped.

The IPCC is said to maintain that their climate change models suggest a pause of 15 years can be expected. They have denied that there are any crisis meetings over the report.
    The title gives the impression that it's not Global Warming, rather it's Global Cooling. But that's not what it really states, is it?

The Mail on Sunday's topsy-turvy view of climate change continues

Tsonis co-authored a paper in 2009 investigating natural climate cycles in the ocean and atmosphere. It found that these could combine to cause spikes and pauses of a few decades in the long term trend temperature rise. He tells us:

"The global temperature record is characterized by regimes of positive trends and negative trends superimposed on a low frequency (long term) signal, which some attribute to greenhouse emissions This natural cycle of positive/negative trends is about 60 years, hence our suggestion that this recent cooling trend may last another 10-15 years."

A co-author of the 2009 paper, Dr Kyle Swanson, has said their research suggested "a pause in warming", and concluded - (his caps):

"What do our results have to do with Global Warming, i.e., the century-scale response to greenhouse gas emissions? VERY LITTLE, contrary to claims that others have made on our behalf."

There is no accepted orthodoxy when it comes to global warming/cooling - who knows? It's disingenuous to say otherwise, unless of course you've got a strong commercial/political vested interest.

There are almost no - if any - scientists postulating Global Cooling.

Global Warming has a few contrarians who challenge its existence or impact, but there is an accepted orthodoxy (your words; I'm not sure exactly what you mean). I mean scientific theory, which is often not 100% accurate, especially when predicting future scenarios. It is always subject to peer review and adjustment.

A commercial/political vested interest more accurately describes those who would deny Global Warming and want to maintain the status-quo.

You used a prediction (actually it wasn't a prediction) that the polar ice cap would be gone in seven years to refute Global Warming, even citing a non-scientist politician. That scenario never came close to being accepted orthodoxy by the scientific community.

You preface many of your remarks with "zealots." Who are you referring to, the researchers? I guess it's much easier to devalue the researchers than the research.

Is Anastasios Tsonis also a zealot; or are we the zealots, non-technical people on both sides of this issue?

Of course you do. We all do, all the time.

Forum Veteran

Speaking for myself, my vested interest is the prosperity of human civilization

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast