Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoboken

Hoboken, never heard of it...

Fun to do? Yes:

Hoboken Ski Club
    Volleyball
    Soccer (although I don't know where to sign up)
    Bars all over the place.
    Live music (some really good, the rest are covers)
    FOOD!

But Hoboken is SO close to the village and central mid-town that you should have no problem getting around.

As for food, I reccomend these places in Hoboken:

Augustinos - Italian
    Sri-Thai - Thai
    Satay - malaysian
    Arthurs - CHEAP steak
    Helmers - Beer
    Maxwells - New/Up and coming performers. So-so food
    Baja - Mexican. Do NOT go to East LA.
    Margharitas - PIZZA!!!!

And there are a few others.

www.kannekt.com has some listings.

Dude,if your friend moved to New York City they would have an apartment in New York,not Hoboken,New Jersey.

I merged this thread with a new one started by mluetke so there aren't two Hoboken threads.

Quote Originally Posted by mluetke
    I have a friend that just moved to NYC and got an apartment in Hoboken, New Jersey. Anyone ever been there? If so, anything fun to do there aside from going into the city?

I'd love to know!
    Personally I find Hoboken more fun than the City, Younger crowd with a Wall Street/Party College vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge
    Hoboken, never heard of it...

As for food, I reccomend these places in Hoboken:

Augustinos - Italian
    Sri-Thai - Thai
    Satay - malaysian
    Arthurs - CHEAP steak
    Helmers - Beer
    Maxwells - New/Up and coming performers. So-so food
    Baja - Mexican. Do NOT go to East LA.
    Margharitas - PIZZA!!!!

And there are a few others.

www.kannekt.com has some listings.
    Nirvana played Maxwells right before they hit it big with "Smells Like Teen Spirit". There's a band called Eugene based in Hoboken I like to see.

For food..

Precious (Chinese/Sushi)
    East LA (Mexican)
    Qadoba (Mexican fast food)
    Tutta Pasta (Italian)
    Malibu Diner
    Benny Tedinos (Pizzaria)
    Fiores (Mortadella Sandwiches)
    Black Bear (Steak)
    Chock Full of Nuts (Coffee/Pastry)

My favorite restaraunt that I took my Fiance all the time is/was Flavia which is a lite Italian Fare, however they have not been open the last couple times I was there but I hope they come back!.....

Karma Kafe (forgive the queer name) is great for Indian:

http://www.karmakafe.com/

Also, Zafra is wonderful for Cuban:

http://www.hobokeni.com/zafra.asp

Quote Originally Posted by STT757
    Nirvana played Maxwells right before they hit it big with "Smells Like Teen Spirit". There's a band called Eugene based in Hoboken I like to see.

For food..

Precious (Chinese/Sushi) It is OK. I used to live across the street. And take it from my GF, there is no true Chinese outside of Chinatown...

East LA (Mexican) NONONONONO!!!!! It is Cockroach heaven! You go there to drink! They have a VERY bad cleanliness rap!

Qadoba (Mexican fast food) It's OK. MUCH better than TB and not owned by McD's (Chipolte)

Tutta Pasta (Italian) Um, no. Sorry, but that is NOT true italian. It is a chain. Saporitoes is better, although it is hard to understand the specials. Margharitas is good, Augustino's is GREAT, and Michelinas. Tutta is so-so.

Malibu Diner Diner, what can you say. If you have a car there are much better greasy spoons out on the highway. the greasiest I have been to beingthe Bendix Diner out on route 17 by route 46.

Benny Tedinos (Pizzaria) I have to agree, to a point. They have the best simple Jersey slice I have tasted in Hoboken. They are a genuine Italian Suburb pizzaria.

Fiores (Mortadella Sandwiches) I think I heard of that one. Is that teh one with the Au Jus sandwich specials twice a week? Pick your own bread?

Black Bear (Steak) Nah, they are a good burger bar. I used to hang out there almost every weekend, but they kinda tried to become a sports bar. Some of the specials are good, and it is a great place to get something like a beer and a sandwich and sit outside on a summer afternoon, but I would not call it the greatest for steaks.

Chock Full of Nuts (Coffee/Pastry) Hehehe. And I think Landmark had better coffee than StarPlucks, but that is just an opinion...

My favorite restaraunt that I took my Fiance all the time is/was Flavia which is a lite Italian Fare, however they have not been open the last couple times I was there but I hope they come back!.....
    Flavia is OK, but very dry . they make things lite by not putting much on it that is fatty.

So it is great for a light pasta or bruchetta, but if you want a true Parmigana you need to go uptown.

Sorry for ranking on some of the places in your post STT, but I just had to offer my opinion on the places you commented on...

They are all good, I love Hoboken. Im getting married there in October '06, my fiance was born there and her father owns some properties on the West Side of Town . His business has a real driveway, where I can park for free when we visit

Fiores (Mortadella Sandwiches) I think I heard of that one. Is that teh one with the Au Jus sandwich specials twice a week? Pick your own bread?

That's the place, real old world sandwiches. I love the Mortedella but it comes back to haunt you after you eat it.

One more place I forgot is City hall bakery, Carlo's.

They are doing our wedding cake.

The two best places in the tri-State area for Italian pastries are Mona Lisa Bakery in Dyker Heights Brooklyn and City Hall/ Carlo's bakery.

Here are a few other places to check out

Illusion
    Trinity
    House of Sushi
    Pita Grill
    OdeFellows (cajun)
    Venue
    Amanda's

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe
    Here are a few other places to check out

Illusion Trendy, $$$

Trinity See above

House of Sushi Ubu, right across from The Sushi Bar, is better. Robongi on Washington gives you more food, but does not taste as good...

Pita Grill Decent, but weird. Not truly middle eastern, but reminiscent.

OdeFellows (cajun) Pretty good, but go on a weekday. Weekends are very yuppie-drinker-out-of-towner

Venue $$$$$!!!!!!!

Amanda's Very good, but also expensive. If you are going for expensive, you could also go to Frankie and Johnnies.

There are also a few Prix Fixe that are good as well at:

Amandas - Very small window of opportunity though.
    Madison B+G
    City Bistro

That is all I can remember now.

I do recommend Karma for indian though. Bombay West is not bad either.

And Cuban? get your butt to La Isla!

I just miss Carmalitoes! Charitoes is OK, but it is much more expensive, and ever since the owner "left" (He worked there all the time when it opened), the guys that are left are HORRIBLE at cleanup (I used to live above them).

Roaches in the hallway! Dragging leaking garbage through the foyer from the back to the front curb! Smoking and drinking IN THE HALLWAY!

When the boss is away, the kids will play.

Oh, outside the city, two places I have been to that are nice:

The Iron Monkey (remember the stupid ads?) - Fusion food of all sorts
    Prestos - GREAT Italian at can't be beat prices.

There is also a pretty good , I think it is Korean place in JC right next to a decent Korean Grocery, and Fort Lee has a pretty good Kimchee/Soup place right near the GWB (parking is a beast, and the neighbor owns the lot across the street and gets pissey when people park there).

Anywho, GL!

(And I have to try out the bakery. I remember walking along, I think it was 1st or 2nd and smelling this small bakery, all in white tile, baking up some fresh breat one day. smelled so good!)

My first place was in Hoboken when I moved to the NYC area. I *hated* it. Absolutely hated it.

Sure, the brownstones were pretty, the waterfront nice, and all of the asian-fusion restaurants palatable, but the people, my god, the PEOPLE!
    These are the people who are either too scared to live in New York or too name-obsessed to live in Queens or Brooklyn, or Harlem or somewhere else. The town was so homogenous in the worst way possible. Hoboken types are generally one of the following:

1. the B.A. degree white girl from suburban philadelphia, suburban new jersey or somewhere else. likely went to villanova, northeastern, or another second-tier university. was probably in a sorority. sticks largely to manhattan west of 6th ave. if possible.

2. the frat-boy young wall street worker who only lives there to meet type 1. Can be seen starting fights at an overpriced bar where they serve beer in really large mugs with really large TV's showing really large football players.

Needless to say, I was neither, so I moved to Brooklyn and don't regret it. I didn't move to New York to live in a place like Hoboken... it was basically suburban Dallas with brownstones and a subway.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by arbeiter
    Needless to say, I was neither, so I moved to Brooklyn and don't regret it. I didn't move to New York to live in a place like Hoboken... it was basically suburban Dallas with brownstones and a subway.
    Ouch.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by arbeiter
    My first place was in Hoboken when I moved to the NYC area. I *hated* it. Absolutely hated it.

Sure, the brownstones were pretty, the waterfront nice, and all of the asian-fusion restaurants palatable, but the people, my god, the PEOPLE!
    These are the people who are either too scared to live in New York or too name-obsessed to live in Queens or Brooklyn, or Harlem or somewhere else. The town was so homogenous in the worst way possible. Hoboken types are generally one of the following:

1. the B.A. degree white girl from suburban philadelphia, suburban new jersey or somewhere else. likely went to villanova, northeastern, or another second-tier university. was probably in a sorority. sticks largely to manhattan west of 6th ave. if possible.

2. the frat-boy young wall street worker who only lives there to meet type 1. Can be seen starting fights at an overpriced bar where they serve beer in really large mugs with really large TV's showing really large football players.

Tell us what you really think of Hoboken...

In all seriousness though, your description is basically on the money.

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast