Page 27 of 36 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoboken

I think they should try and go classic midrise on both sides of the track there. It would be nice to have some 20 story buildings at the "base" of teh town with office and retail space, provided they remember to keep it pedestrian friendly. They need to look at the main street in Barcelona, or even the Piassa (sp) in Venice to get an idea that "wide open" and "setback" do not mean a bunch of unusable dead space (ala Jersey City's Buisness District).

We have to find some way to make it so that Hoboken AND JC are the places that people simply grab a train in their neighbohood, and come into on the weekend to have a nice time.

We already have malls. The 'burbs have better fields and natural resources, Hoboken and JC have the city view and a hell of a lot of history. Why are they so anxious to ignore that and build these glass obelisks (sp) that will dominate the skyline?

An elevated platform over the rails (plaza space, maybe even some "quaint" single story shops and stuff to form an outdoor mall). The only thing difficult with the platform would be the fact that trains will be running, and idling, underneath. They would have to make it a place where people would go to while waiting for a train perhaps. Not someplace sensitive to noise.....

Anyway, the key here is scale. JC has the big buisness center which they can expand. Hoboken would not look good with this, and JC would look out-of-place if they built the same kind of structures right up to the edge of the rail depot.

I don't care WHO is thinking of building this, I think it looks like crap.

Quote Originally Posted by JCMAN320 View Post
    Just for the record those skyscrapers will be in Jersey City, they have to go to JC Council and give them the renderings for those. All the low level buildings will be in Hoboken, with the high-rise in JC. The JC/HBKN boarder runs right down the middle of the rail yards. I hope to see more renderings with more refined highrises.

JC in the end will still owe the tallest building in the state, not Hoboken.

The "high density" development is in Hoboken, not Jersey City. The Hoboken mayor was quoted in the newspaper saying that if Hoboken were not the home of the 75 story office building, then it would be built on the Jersey City side and they'd get the rateables instead. Here's what the paper said:

"He said that even though the proposed 75- to 80-story "signature building" for the site is about three times the height of the tallest building in Hoboken, it would be better to have it on the Hoboken side of the project than on the Jersey City side.

Otherwise, Roberts said, the city will be supporting a population influx from Jersey City without the benefits of ratables, or taxable units, and without getting back any upgrades from the developers, like a reworking of the sewage system and the re-routing of Paterson Plank Road.

"It's like a martial art. You have to use the force to harness the power of development," Roberts said."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map.jpg 
Views:	1644 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	6404  
    Last edited by millertime83; September 29th, 2008 at 01:57 PM.

I think 75 stories is a little much. I'm sure in actuality they hope to get at least a 40 to 50 story commercial tower in the mix as the center piece. I think they just float this idea around to get people prepared for "tall" buildings. If they had come out and said 40 stories it would get the same negative reaction.

You also have to realize that this is under the guise of smart growth as developing underutilized land in an urban area. Plus this is a long term plan; 15 to 20 years I believe. If you cant build big over a major rail station and rail yards then where can you in Hoboken? yes traffic is a major concern but traffic is already bad during rush hour. But if you build on top of mass transit doesn't that promote mass transit use. They should just focus on minimizing the parking in the residential buildings in the plan. As long as they don't look anything like the short , fat, and squat brick boxes on the riverfront then I'll be satisfied.

NJT is not going to build a platform for a "quaint" one story outdoor mall as they obviously shouldn't.

Cool Historic Cave Open For Business

Sybil's Cave reopens, mayor shrugs at critics

Wednesday, October 22, 2008
    By CARLY BALDWIN
    JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Hoboken Mayor Dave Roberts celebrated the reopening of the historic Sybil's Cave yesterday.

But, as Hoboken wrestles with a state takeover and a 47 percent tax hike, some say Sybil's Cave is just another example of what they call the mayor's spendthrift ways.

The 18-foot deep cave and underground aquifer were once a well-known Hoboken tourist spot. In the mid-19th century, New Yorkers would come to Hoboken to drink water from the cave, which was believed to have therapeutic properties.

The cave is said to be the inspiration for an Edgar Allen Poe's crime novella "The Mystery of Marie Roget."

The total cost of Sybil's renovation is $106,752.

A bit more than half the money - over $56,000 - came out of a $1.4 million bond the city floated in 1994. Roberts contributed more than $32,000 of his own money to the cave project and Capital One Bank donated $10,000, officials said.

Hoboken Councilwoman Theresa Castellano said she thinks the restoration of Sybil's Cave should have been held off until Hoboken, which is currently in debt, was in stronger financial shape.

"I'm not against Sybil's Cave. I'm against the way it was handled financially, especially considering the state we're in today," said Castellano, chair of the Hoboken Historic Preservation Committee.

Roberts argued the cave was restored for much less than the $250,000 he believes the project could have cost.

"If it was done unorthodox, I'm sorry. It's done and it's there. And it advances the public interest," Roberts added.

Default $1.1 billion development would include 1.8 million square feet of office space and 85

"The Rockefeller Group, a global development firm that owns Rockefeller Center in New York City, is coming to Hoboken."

http://Hobokenreporter.com/bookmark/...ion-font-i-br-

Cool Flushing Feeling

Hoboken's landmark 'Big John' tower to be replaced by waterfront walkway

By Mark Maurer/The Jersey Journal
    February 01, 2010, 6:08PM

Stevens Institute of Technology
    The green 11-story tower on the Hudson waterfront, ascribed nicknames for its original use as a site for testing toilets, is gradually being disassembled.

The 11-story tower owned by Stevens Institute of Technology that was initially built in 1972 and used for testing toilets is now being disassembled for make room for a promenade walkway, said Patrick Berzinski, executive director of Stevens’ university communications department.

The unofficial historical landmark, often referred to as “The Royal Flush” or “Big John,” is being demolished, and the new walkway will be constructed over the course of the next 18 months, Berzinski said. This entails underwater engineering, in order to create a stable situation below the waterline.

It ceased to be effective to fulfill its original function – to measure the amount of atmospheric pressure required to flush a toilet in a high-rise apartment building - some time ago. It had since served as a location for smaller experiments involving the testing of the harbor waters and occasionally lasers.

^ I guess it'll take a while before all the fresh copper over the ferry slips turns green.

The ferry slips are almost ready, the five slips that you can see with the landing decks in will soon be hosting NY Waterways ferry service. Also of weird note, the Barnes and Noble in the background is closing.

Barnes & Noble closed??? I hope they use that block to build something great. Residential with commercial space on the ground floor. I always thought it was a waste of such a prime location, being on the door step of the path station.

Exclamation

Does anybody know when the park by the hotle W is going to open the park goes out to the river like a small island??

This park has missed too many completion dates to keep track anymore. The latest was that it was to open by Labor Day. I don't see that happening however. They have to complete the installation of the rails, finish the repair they are doing to the concrete on the pier and then get the whole thing inspected by the State. The State has to do it because Hoboken's city inspector is restricted due to a conflict or some other shady thing like usual with that guy.

I would say early next spring...seriously...

Default NJ Transit proposal for Hoboken Terminal

New Jersey Transit proposed its tentative plan for the downtown train terminal on Monday night during a well attended public meeting at the waiting room in the Lackawanna Terminal.

The plan includes one commercial building, for which the developer and NJ Transit have a tenant in mind, who will rent the entire the building and turn it into its corporate headquarters.

Other elements of the plan include a new and revamped bus terminal, a public plaza and an improved connection between the station and the waterfront. The new public area will be located approximately across the street from the bar Texas Arizona.

The building, which will be used for commercial use only, has not yet been designed, said Kurt Eichler from development firm LCOR Incorporated. Eichler said the building will probably be about 500,000 square feet and about 17 stories tall.

The plan that was proposed on Monday night focused on the 1.78 acres of land at the terminal downtown. In total, NJ Transit owns roughly 54 acres in Hoboken, said John Leon, senior director of government and community relations at NJ Transit. A 2007 plan by NJ Transit involved residential high rise buildings in the downtown area. Monday's tentative plan only focused on the 1.78 plot.

http://hoboken.patch.com/articles/nj...wn-development

Quote Originally Posted by millertime83 View Post

The plan includes one commercial building, for which the developer and NJ Transit have a tenant in mind, who will rent the entire the building and turn it into its corporate headquarters.

The building, which will be used for commercial use only, has not yet been designed, said Kurt Eichler from development firm LCOR Incorporated. Eichler said the building will probably be about 500,000 square feet and about 17 stories tall.
    Sounds seriously out of scale. Problem is footprint and single tenant, not height.

I sense something bad, like removing the old marble waiting room or a glass box design coming.....