Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoboken

You do not go to Hoboken for the people.

You forgot to mention the clique-ey nature of the town.

People are really nice when you start to break down the barriers, but that is hard to do. Most people come in with their own cadre of friends and do not bother looking for any more.

But if you wanted to meet some better people you had to follow some simple rules:

1. Do not go to ANY of the trendy bars.
    2. Visit places like Scotland yard to listen to the blues
    3. Try clubs or other social organizations
    4. Talk to the LOCALS, not the ones that just moved in!!
    5. Dont even try to get some open space at the parks on a nice weekend.
    6. Visit NY a lot...

I think I like it for a few reasons:

1. It is VERY close to work.
    2. A LOT of places to eat, all within walking distance.
    3. Nice brownstones.
    4. Still close enough for me to easily drive to visit family.

But I do have to agree with you about the people. They seem to be mostly suburbanites coming into Hoboken right after college because it is a shorter commute with more bars, look for someone from the same genre, going out, getting hitched, having a kid and moving out when that kid turns 2.

I've visited Hoboken several times - and it definitely reminded me of Brooklyn. Your thoughts? I went to several open houses in Brooklyn and the price is more affordable and you definitely get more space.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrissey
    I've visited Hoboken several times - and it definitely reminded me of Brooklyn. Your thoughts? I went to several open houses in Brooklyn and the price is more affordable and you definitely get more space.
    Depends on the area. Hoboken had a price boom with all the development running rampant (all you have to do is go back by 10th and Monroe and see the maze of 6 story plain jane condos that are going up.).

Brooklyn Heights compares very favorably to Hoboken, as well as other areas nearby. Park Slope is probably pretty close a comparison as well. There are even 2 or 3 blocks near the projects in Hoboken that remind me of areas of the OLD east village/Bed-Sty.

But it is hard to compare Brooklyn with Hoboken in that Brooklyn seems to have held itself together a little more. Depending on where you go, it is a little more crowded, but more neighborhood-y.

I don't know how else to describe it. I liked areas of both, quite frankly. And the Blues Fest in the Heights had me sold on BH. If it wasn't for the $$ I would be living there now!

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge
    Depends on the area. Hoboken had a price boom with all the development running rampant (all you have to do is go back by 10th and Monroe and see the maze of 6 story plain jane condos that are going up.).

Brooklyn Heights compares very favorably to Hoboken, as well as other areas nearby. Park Slope is probably pretty close a comparison as well. There are even 2 or 3 blocks near the projects in Hoboken that remind me of areas of the OLD east village/Bed-Sty.

But it is hard to compare Brooklyn with Hoboken in that Brooklyn seems to have held itself together a little more. Depending on where you go, it is a little more crowded, but more neighborhood-y.

I don't know how else to describe it. I liked areas of both, quite frankly. And the Blues Fest in the Heights had me sold on BH. If it wasn't for the $$ I would be living there now!
    What are your thoughts on SKY CLUB? i almost purchased a condo there

Sky Club?

You would have to give me the addy on that one.

There are a lot of new things going up in the area, and it is hard to say which ones are better than others.

The GF and I bought the top floor of a Brownstone on Washington Street. Over 1200 SF, skylights, 10' ceilings, and (now newly replaced by us) hardwood floors.

I like it much better than the newer condos in many ways. The only downside is that we do not have a modern washer/dryer (we have a stacked electric) and that things like the whirlpool tub is also not included.

But, quite frankly, things like marble countertops and whirlpool tubs mean very little when it comes to a new place. Look at what the cabinets are constructed of (wood or pressboard). Take a look at the molding and see if they did it right, or if they just did it as fast as they could to meet deadline. Look for cracks at seams indicating insufficient rigidity (flexible structure, possible longterm damage/leaks/drafts).

Look at the windows. Hell, look at everything! I have seen so many "quick and dirties" in the new construction and the renovations it is not funny.

You may find something worth getting, but you really have to look hard!

Sky Club?

You would have to give me the addy on that one.

There are a lot of new things going up in the area, and it is hard to say which ones are better than others.

The GF and I bought the top floor of a Brownstone on Washington Street. Over 1200 SF, skylights, 10' ceilings, and (now newly replaced by us) hardwood floors.

I like it much better than the newer condos in many ways. The only downside is that we do not have a modern washer/dryer (we have a stacked electric) and that things like the whirlpool tub is also not included.

But, quite frankly, things like marble countertops and whirlpool tubs mean very little when it comes to a new place. Look at what the cabinets are constructed of (wood or pressboard). Take a look at the molding and see if they did it right, or if they just did it as fast as they could to meet deadline. Look for cracks at seams indicating insufficient rigidity (flexible structure, possible longterm damage/leaks/drafts).

Look at the windows. Hell, look at everything! I have seen so many "quick and dirties" in the new construction and the renovations it is not funny.

You may find something worth getting, but you really have to look hard!
    That's on first street and jackson i believe. i cancelled it because it was next to the projects and is not close to washington street.

when did you purchase the brownstone? how many bedrooms?

Last year, 2BR (although it was 3 a while back. One of the previous owners tore down a wall).

I would look for some of the older ones before going for the new construction unless you are looking at a quick turnaround.

The pre-fabs only last about 5-7 years before needing replacements/repairs (or you start to see unsightly staining onthe facade and the like).

Also, I am hearing word of the makret slowing up a bit, places staying on the market longer or going off the market. So who knows what that means.

I do not see Hoboken really dropping in price, but a bubble flattening may be coming. Look for what you want, in your price range, and then jump on it.

And you are right about Jackson, it is a DIVE!

Last year, 2BR (although it was 3 a while back. One of the previous owners tore down a wall).

I would look for some of the older ones before going for the new construction unless you are looking at a quick turnaround.

The pre-fabs only last about 5-7 years before needing replacements/repairs (or you start to see unsightly staining onthe facade and the like).

Also, I am hearing word of the makret slowing up a bit, places staying on the market longer or going off the market. So who knows what that means.

I do not see Hoboken really dropping in price, but a bubble flattening may be coming. Look for what you want, in your price range, and then jump on it.

And you are right about Jackson, it is a DIVE!
    I guess about 8 months ago i was pretty adamant about moving to hoboken. I went to 14 open houses. but it just didnt work out. hence i am in murray hill now! i think in a 5-6 years i want to move to gramercy - you know when the prices are not as crazy!

Default W Hotel

Hoboken rolls out W-elcome mat

Ground broken for luxury hotel to open in 2 years

Thursday, December 01, 2005By JARRETT RENSHAW

JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

HOBOKEN - The Mile Square City now has something in common with San Francisco, Seoul, Sydney, Barcelona and neighboring New York City.

Hoboken will become the next city to boast a luxury W Hotel following yesterday's groundbreaking ceremony on the city's southern waterfront.

The W Hoboken, a sleek, wedge-shaped, 25-story building, will feature 225 rooms plus 37 luxury condos with unobstructed views of the Manhattan skyline, and an upscale bar and spa. Condo owners will enjoy all the luxuries of hotel life, including 24-hour room service, a daily maid and concierge service. It is scheduled to open in fall 2007.

Hoboken-based Applied Development will develop and own the facility, but it will be operated by Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide.

Local civic and political leaders proudly hailed the coming of the W Hotel as a historic and transforming event in the city's history.

"This is a great milestone in the history of the city, and it solidifies that Hoboken is one of the most favored destinations in the state of New Jersey," said Mayor David Roberts, one of the biggest supporters of the project over the years.

The ground-breaking attracted political leaders from all corners, including Hoboken resident Rep. Robert Menendez, who said the W Hotel's presence "exemplifies the city's enormous potential and all the great success it has already realized."

"It's giving us an icon on the waterfront," boasted City Council President Chris Campos.

Michael Barry, president of Applied Housing, said before yesterday that the $62 million hotel would itself bring the city more than 200 jobs, not including construction work, and that guests would spend roughly $100 in Hoboken per visit.

Rumors were buzzing at the press conference that one of W's newest tenants will be newly elected Governor and Hoboken resident Jon Corzine, whose spokesman refused to confirm or deny.

Menendez was asked if he thought about moving into one of the luxury condos, and replied: "I live on a public servant salary, I don't think I could afford to live there."

Although the W Hotel is still to be built, it has already attracted at least one entrepreneur.

"When I was looking for a site for my restaurant, I looked all over Hoboken, but I chose this spot because of the W Hotel," said Richard Browne, owner of Quays restaurant, located less than a block from the site.

Browne, like others, believes the W Hotel will draw some attention away from Washington Street and cast some light on the night life on River Street, where many upscale restaurants have found homes in recent years.

"It's a huge plus for us, and for the town," Browne said.

JARRETT RENSHAW can be reached at jrenshaw@jjournal.com

But...but...why?

Talk about Hoboken's renaissance all you want, but it's no world cosmopolis and never will be.

Unless of course the W is just planning to "go Starbucks". In which case we'll probably see some pop up in places like Trenton and Bridgeport in no time.

I think the W was sold recently, but that would have been after the construction on this started.

Still, the idea of a Hoboken W will never fail to crack me up. If anyone's the betting type, who'd like to wager against that being a HoJo's within three years?

The plot was being discussed for about 3 years or more now.

I saw the tent set up on the way to work and I was wondering what sane person would have a wedding reception in a flooded construction site, then it hit me. This was the ground breaking.

Or, rather, the digging up of a shovelful of dirt that was just back-hoes and leveled to give a flat, dry place to stand.

Anyway, Hoboken has some great opportunities to make an entire riverside plaza from the large buildings it recently put up, but in the greed that is Development, they made only the riverside habitable. the other side is flush with the sidewalk. If they had just left the buildings first bay open it would have made a wonderful open atrium kind of feel, with large dining plazas all around the buildings.

Now all we get to do is look at people working out in Club H, Jos A Clothier, or Chase Bank (among others).

River Street should be named Canyon Street at the rate they are going. Aside from Castle Rock, there is not a single length of the Hoboken Waterfront that is not, or planned to be, blocked by mid-hi rise structures.

It is good to build new stuff, but they just saw the $$ and not the long term impact.....

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau
    I think the W was sold recently, but that would have been after the construction on this started.

Still, the idea of a Hoboken W will never fail to crack me up. If anyone's the betting type, who'd like to wager against that being a HoJo's within three years?
    As cynical as I am, I would wager against it.

have you been to Hoboken recently? I realize you are exaggerating to be sarcastic, but the average place there is now going for a bundle and the overall affluence of the area is above most of Queens and large sections of Brooklyn.

It is also close to a central rail station, and has what might be a direct link to Newark Airport without having to be located in Raritan.

Please do us a favor Schade and make fun of the "wholesome" Hoboken city hall rather than NJ in general......

I'm not making fun of Hoboken. I've certainly spent time there and the place has its own charm.

However, charm doesn't translate into tourists wanting to spend $400 a night on a hotel room, only to have to schlep it on the PATH the next day.

That's why they have the ferries.....

I can see them spending $$ to be in Hoboken, MUCH better view of NYC, but looking at the $$ of the restaurants and clubs that opened up along the riverside, I think that $400 a night is a little expensive too.

There has got to be a line somewhere between Luxury and Motel 6.....

(PS, that post was a little unclear.... I do agree with you Schade.... Hoboken is nice, but not Luxury. I guess that is just where the Mayor will have all his friends stay when they come to visit... )
    Last edited by Ninjahedge; December 1st, 2005 at 07:41 PM.

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast