Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoboken

Default Riverfront Center IV

I couldn't get a good shot of it, but the Riverfront Center IV site (future home of Pearson and last vacant waterfront lot in Hoboken's downtown) is very active:

What is going on over there? Today there's another flood. A water main break last week, the week before (or two weeks before) there were two main breaks and one service line break within a week. I don't think even NYC has such a problem.

Wonder if it had anything to do with that sinkhole over on Sinatra Drive a couple of years ago.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by mariab View Post
    What is going on over there? Today there's another flood. A water main break last week, the week before (or two weeks before) there were two main breaks and one service line break within a week. I don't think even NYC has such a problem.

Wonder if it had anything to do with that sinkhole over on Sinatra Drive a couple of years ago.
    There Corrupt past is catching up with them....its as simple as that...

I think United Water is in charge of maintaining the underground water utilities in Hoboken. But I'm sure there's plenty of corrupt deals that have been made over the years between UW and the city of Hoboken's politicians.

Cool Good to the last drop

Interest high in Maxwell Place condo building under construction in Hoboken, developer says
    By Charles Hack/The Jersey Journal on May 22, 2013 at 11:54 AM, updated May 22, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Toll Brothers' development at 1100 Maxwell Place on the Hoboken waterfront will have 220 condos when it is completed in early 2014.
    Image courtesy of Toll Brothers.

HOBOKEN — Toll Brothers City Living has started selling condominiums at 12-story residential building on the uptown Hoboken waterfront.

The building, 1100 Maxwell Place, at 11th and Hudson streets, is still under construction, but company officials say they have received more than 1,000 inquiries for the 210 condominiums that should be completed early next year.

The joint project between Toll Brothers City Living and Pinnacle Downtown is the third building in the Maxwell Place community.

“We’ve seen very strong interest from throughout the greater New York City metro area since construction started last year,” said Henry Waller, vice president of the Toll Brothers City Living New Jersey Division in a statement. “And we are excited to see that the Hoboken market is continuing to grow and flourish.”

The asking price for the two- to three-bedroom apartments range from $500,000 to $2 million. A limited number of private rooftop terrace spaces are also available, starting at $50,000.

Kitchens with high-end appliances and fixtures, quartz stone counter tops, hardwood floors, and washers and dryers in each unit.

Amenities include a 24-hour concierge, access to two state-of-the-art fitness centers and outdoor pools with Jacuzzi, two residents’ lounges, on-site garage parking, two children’s playrooms, and multiple landscaped outdoor spaces that feature barbeque areas, an outdoor screening area and an open-air fireplace.

The 1100 Maxwell Place sales center, with onsite parking, is located at 1025 Maxwell Lane and is open 7 days a week -- from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday through Friday, and 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday through Monday.

For more information, visit the Maxwell Place marketing website or call (201) 239-1592.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2...arket_new.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hoboekn seems to be making a strong bounce back in the housing market similar to it's big brother JC. Along with this development at the old Maxwell Coffee site, there is the final piece of the Corporate Center on the South Waterfront; 12 story office building for Pearson's Publishing House and the site of the old "GARAGE" building (now demoed) near the Hoboken/Weehawken border is going to become a new luxury building. Nice to see Hoboken bounce back.

It will be nice to see that end of 11th nearing completion, although I wish they had gone for a design similar to this building's neighbor to the east...the design looks ultra cookie-cutter. Does anyone know if construction has started yet on that last large parcel east of Washington that is bounded by Hudson, Washington, 14th, and 15th streets?

Forum Veteran

Anything going on with North Hoboken?

Quote Originally Posted by tbal View Post
    It will be nice to see that end of 11th nearing completion, although I wish they had gone for a design similar to this building's neighbor to the east...the design looks ultra cookie-cutter. Does anyone know if construction has started yet on that last large parcel east of Washington that is bounded by Hudson, Washington, 14th, and 15th streets?

That lot is also owned by Toll Brother's. They are going to build a sister building to 1450 Washington St. They are supposed to start construction next year when 1100 Maxwell is completed.

Default Mini-Boom Uptown Along & Between Park & Willow Aves

I'll preface this by saying that I really wish I had gone out earlier as you can barely make out anything in some of the photos below, but when I had made my way all the way uptown tonight, I couldn't help but wonder why there is a tower crane standing between the Park Ave and Willow Ave bridges that pass from Weehawken into Hoboken. Once I got closer, I was surprised to see a fairly massive concrete structure coming to life.

So I did a quick search online once I got home and found out that a 10-story building was supposed to have broken ground on the very southern border of Weehawken (at Hoboken) back in 2008 and contain 112 condominiums. I have no idea what the current design looks like, but you can see the original proposal below. So the site is bordered by 18th street to the north, the lightrail tracks to the south, and sits between the Park Ave and Willow Ave bridges. The name of the project is the Weehawken Gateway and it's in Weehawken's uniquely tiny and isolated Shades district:

Here you can see the massive Troy Towers in the background up on the cliff:

Nearby at the Dykes Lumber corp site, a saw several steel piles in the ground filled with concrete. I have no idea whether this means they are about to finally demo the long-standing depot or if this is for some new part of the lumber facility (keep in mind that the view of Midtown Manhattan is unbelievable in this location):

Over on the Hoboken side of the lightrail tracks, bordering 16th street, a new park is taking shape. The address is 1600 Park Ave and the park looks like it will be elevated with this fancy retaining wall (note the NYC skyline in the background):

Across 16th street from the new park is a site that the Rockefellar Group owns according to this article: http://www.hudsonreporter.com/pages/...%20&id=2412966

It mentions that there was talk about possibly building an office tower in the range of 40 stories here; the buildings are all being demolished right now, so I'm wondering how close they are to actually building something (and if they're going to make a hard push to build what would be Hoboken's tallest building):

...And a few quickies:

Park Place (I'm glad to see the super-ugly Park on Park giant eyesore garage permanently gone from this spot):

Willow14 (inching along very, very slowly...I could've sworn that this project started a full two years ago):

Sliver building next to the Second Street lightrail station (I feel like the addition of this building really gives this spot a sense of significance by filling the area in a little more):

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

NJ Transit pathway
    to Second Street lightrail (very nice IMO):

You can see the Lackawanna warehouse near Cast Iron Lofts on the right:

Last edited by West Hudson; May 28th, 2013 at 01:10 AM.

Any idea when that bike path will open? I've been watching it under construction and it has appeared complete (or nearly complete) for a couple of months. I'm anxious to give it a whirl, since I hate making that Jersey Ave/Newark St/Jackson St/Paterson St route by bike. Some of the more aggressive drivers out there seem to flip out when they see a bike merge left to make the left turn from Newark onto Jackson.

Default Post Office Redevelopment

The blog post below about a demolished post office in Astoria being replaced by a midrise residential building makes me wonder when the post office on the waterfront in Hoboken will be sold and redeveloped. It's about halfway between the ultra-luxury W hotel and what is arguably the most complete transit center in the state...the last truly unbeatable location in Hoboken that can fit a large-format building and hasn't been redeveloped yet. And there is obviously plenty of room on the west side - particularly the northwest quadrant - for a new state-of-the-art post office.

http://queens.brownstoner.com/2013/0...-and-28th-ave/

Well.... can't say that i am surprised, but that development between the train ovepasses was rumored to be, at one time, an athletic facility (or just field).

It was a good location to have one, being as it does not really have any views, it would be on dirt and not on a pier that will fall in the river (Sinatra) and was big enough to fit a few fields (2 soccer?).

Now? More residences with no real (that I have heard of) moves to increased the overtaxed infrastructure.

Invest in your batter system backups. 2014 summer should be fun...

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
    Well.... can't say that i am surprised, but that development between the train ovepasses was rumored to be, at one time, an athletic facility (or just field).

It was a good location to have one, being as it does not really have any views, it would be on dirt and not on a pier that will fall in the river (Sinatra) and was big enough to fit a few fields (2 soccer?).

Now? More residences with no real (that I have heard of) moves to increased the overtaxed infrastructure.

Invest in your batter system backups. 2014 summer should be fun...
    I think Hoboken is heading towards a ticking time bomb , were already seeing the cracks appear in the overtaxed sewage system and the Transit system....this can only go on for so long before it completely collapses. I don't think the residents or Mayor care...their egos are to big to acknowledge the problem.

I am not sure the Mayor is 100% on this... sadly I would peg it on her ignorance of civil infrastructure than deliberate ignorance.

As for Transit.... I am not sure where you are going on that... I think the trains are dated, but NJT has had much less problems than Amtrack or Metro North.

Sewer? Hell ya.
    Power? Yep.
    Schools? YEP!!!

BTW, I was just in there this weekend. Why the HELL does Hoboken need a bunch of new cop cars? Why do they need cop cars? Aside from a few, the "mile square" should really be a foot-patrolled town. I would rather strip them down to a half dozen cars (total), remove the SWAT team, and give them a second district house over on the west side.

Walk by the police station and start counting the cars. I think they have more than 2 dozen!

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
    I am not sure the Mayor is 100% on this... sadly I would peg it on her ignorance of civil infrastructure than deliberate ignorance.

As for Transit.... I am not sure where you are going on that... I think the trains are dated, but NJT has had much less problems than Amtrack or Metro North.

Sewer? Hell ya.
    Power? Yep.
    Schools? YEP!!!

BTW, I was just in there this weekend. Why the HELL does Hoboken need a bunch of new cop cars? Why do they need cop cars? Aside from a few, the "mile square" should really be a foot-patrolled town. I would rather strip them down to a half dozen cars (total), remove the SWAT team, and give them a second district house over on the west side.

Walk by the police station and start counting the cars. I think they have more than 2 dozen!
    You clearly don't live in town if you think Hoboken doesn't need new, or more then 6, police cruisers. The old cars were extremely old and prone to break down. The last thing you need is cruiser breaking down responding to a call. As for thinking you can patrol the town by foot, come by on a weekend and see how much the cops are racing around responding to bar fights or come by during the week and see how long it takes a cop car to get through traffic downtown during rush hour. The criminals are not going to agree not to use cars and/or wait for the cops to get through traffic.

As for infrastructure, their is no doubt Hoboken needs new water mains and a new separated sewage and storm water system. As far as power, that was actually upgraded about 10 years ago. Aside from the substations being in flood zones there is really nothing wrong with the power supply in town during peak demand. Wide spread, or long, power problems are rare.