Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump International Hotel and Tower - Chicago - by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

Default The Trump Tower Chicago

Does that make it a contextual building ?
    That would explain why some people don't like it.

Well that is an intersting thought. That isn't the reason i don't like it though. I don't like it because it's too similatr to the Sears Tower.

Just to add, 7 Dearborn had financing problems. They just could not get tenants to sign up for the structure. The builders also could not get fianancing, which is tied to the first issue. Besides, its marketing was non-existent. The owners, in essence, really did not believe in the project.

This was the same problem with the Miglin-Beitler Tower of a few years ago. Both buildings would have been very sleek additions to our city. Also, construction for the foundations of M-BT had started when the project was shelved. Similarly, demolition for 7D started. Now there is a quarter vacant site in the middle of the Loop. It sucks!

I think the cyrrent design for TTC is MUCHO beuno that the bohemoth that was originally designed, but I would rather see two smaller, less tall building on that site than this one. But if it does get built, it will be alot better that much of the crap that has gone up here over the last four years.

(Edited by Chicagoan at 9:58 pm on June 11, 2003)

Similarly, demolition for 7D started. Now there is a quarter vacant site in the middle of the Loop.

An office building is planned for that site. Not a very tall one.

Quote: from Fabb on 2:01 am on June 12, 2003
    Similarly, demolition for 7D started. Now there is a quarter vacant site in the middle of the Loop.

An office building is planned for that site. Not a very tall one.
    But there is not a construction sign on the site... or as of two days ago there was not one. The office market n the city never took off as alot of developers had hoped. Many proposed buildings have been, including several thathave been approved for almost 10 years, have been shelved. I think that site will be vacant for some time.

Do you have any rendering of it?

I actually live in Chicago so ONLY my opinion matters...
    Why is it that when we create a design for a new, TALL skyscraper, it gets CANCELLED at the end? It's not just the 7SD. Take the Skyneedle, Erewhon Center, the Illinois, or Project 2000 for examples.....weird...... I guess it really doesn't matter, but it would add some beauty and a little recognition to the city of Chicago.

Wasn't this the building Trump originally wanted to be 2,000 feet and 200 stories? I heard that on Sept 11th Trump actually called up the people planning that building and cancelled it on the same day. It was supposed to be a real WTB, no spires or slanty roof. That one would've really beaten anything Taiwan, or China would've made.

Oh yeah, btw, when Trumps building is done, Chicago will have "5" thousand foot buildings. NY only has 2 right now, 3 when the Freedom Tower is done.

(Edited by Freedom Tower at 8:59 am on July 15, 2003)

Is that just plain insensitivity or typical Chicago insecurity?

NYatKNIGHT, I suppose it is a little of both. I am not native here, and after a few years I still get floored by it...: )

Anywhose, This is not the same building that Trump originally had as WTB. Different design at least, but it is the same site/project.

You cannot trust Trump. I heard from many people in the Real Estate Business that it was because the market for the initial building components was softening- condo's, offices, hotel. Moreover, it is not even on Michigan Avenue or a major retail street. So it was tweaked to have less space and a siplified program.

Finally, I do not think the spires on the AT&T Building should be counted, although the Council thinks so. Those spires add a high percentage of height. And although Trump's project has been approved, it is by no means done. The site is still occupied and he has yet to find a lead tenant or start to market the condos. Remember for the Miglin-Bietler Tower, they actually got as far as the foundations, then stopped to later put a beautiful Walgreen's *and parking garage on the site.

Forum Veteran

The Freedom Tower is not the only 1,000-footer seriously being planned for New York. *There are two other buildings of 1000+ feet being developed at Ground Zero alone, not to mention the 90-story mixed-use development, One New York Place; or the New York Times' new HQ on Eighth Avenue. *That's seven buildings above 1000 feet, six if you disregard the large spire atop the Times Tower.

Hong Kong will soon have six, as well: 7 Union Square, Two International Finance Centre, Nina Tower 1, Central Plaza, Bank of China, and The Centre; seven if you also count the Gateway III Harbour City Building that is proposed for the Kowloon side, and possibly eight if you also include the 88-story Mega Tower Hotel project proposed for Wanchai.

TLOZ, that One New York Place building wasn't a hoax? I remember reading somewhere on this site that it may not really be a possiblity. And when you say there are 2 more thousand footers planned for Ground Zero are you reffering to buildings that will be built in addition to the Freedom Tower or in place of it? Besides the SOM design, I've heard of nothing else planned at the WTC.

Oh and by the way, yes i was disregarding the NYT building. That spire is just ridiculous

(Edited by Freedom Tower at 9:55 pm on July 15, 2003)

Forum Veteran

For all I know, One New York Place isn't a hoax. *We don't necessarily have enough information on it to say otherwise, so for now we'll assume it's on the table, albeit very close to the edge and far away from a prominent position.

The Libeskind Plan does, indeed, include two other towers of more than 1,000 feet—one at about 1150 or so, and another at 1040. *You can check the "Hot 250" section of Stern's Website for the exact heights.

Chicago also has a residential project that might be tall enough to "Trump" World Tower—pun intended, of course:

Grand Pier Tower

Thanks TLOZ for all that info. I never knew that the Freedom/Garden Tower was going to be counted seperately from the 70 story tower it was attached to. I always thought that the 1776 footer was just counted as a spire, not its own individual building. And the 65 story tower is also going to be over a thousand. I never knew that. That's great. That means with Libeskinds plan 3 thousand footers will be built. Hopefully Silverstein won't get his fifth tower. If he does, we may not get so lucky. Great Site Stern, full of info! By the way, since you're so knowledgeable TLOZ, I have yet another question. The "Grand Pier Tower" in Chicago, the one that will Trump the world Tower :biggrin: ;Will that be taller than the new Worlds Tallest Residential Building? Which i believe is now in South Korea, if im not mistaken.

(Edited by Freedom Tower at 3:30 pm on July 16, 2003)

Oh yeah TLOZ, since Childs and Libeskind will be working together we may not get 3 seperate thousand footers "Childs has been working on drawings that place the skyscraping structure directly on top of the building, rather than beside it.". That'd make it two thousand footers

(Edited by Freedom Tower at 3:31 pm on July 16, 2003)

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast