Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Did I miss something?

A bad idea in my humble opinion.

Forum Veteran

The Site is dying...so why is it such a bad idea...? SSC is growing rapidly...theres a World section and a Regional section is getting an overhaul.. I would just merge this site into the Regional sections...

Irrespective of whether people love or hate SSC or SSP, proposing to merge WNY with either of them isn't something someone can just magically do, even if it is, in fact, feasible. A lot of work would be involved and potential problems highly likely when working with databases that are configured diferently. All three sites are running different versions of vBulletin as well. Edward owns and runs WNY and I vaguely recollect that he now hosts the site himself as well, after various issues with hosting sites. But don't quote me on that; I may be confusing WNY with something else.

I used to spend quite a lot of time on SSC and SSP but hardly ever now. They changed the site a number of years ago and I didn't like the new configuration much. Those sites are obviously much bigger than just NYC, whereas WNY is dedicated mostly to NYC, which is one of the appealing things about it. We also have (or used to have) a good number of very knowledgeable people here who know NYC really well and in some cases also live in NYC. It would be unfortunate to lose the close community atmosphere that has been built here, what there is left of it. Anyway, the future of WNY is Edward's call.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Merry View Post
    Irrespective of whether people love or hate SSC or SSP, proposing to merge WNY with either of them isn't something someone can just magically do, even if it is, in fact, feasible. A lot of work would be involved and potential problems highly likely when working with databases that are configured diferently. All three sites are running different versions of vBulletin as well. Edward owns and runs WNY and I vaguely recollect that he now hosts the site himself as well, after various issues with hosting sites. But don't quote me on that; I may be confusing WNY with something else.

I used to spend quite a lot of time on SSC and SSP but hardly ever now. They changed the site a number of years ago and I didn't like the new configuration much. Those sites are obviously much bigger than just NYC, whereas WNY is dedicated mostly to NYC, which is one of the appealing things about it. We also have (or used to have) a good number of very knowledgeable people here who know NYC really well and in some cases also live in NYC. It would be unfortunate to lose the close community atmosphere that has been built here, what there is left of it. Anyway, the future of WNY is Edward's call.
    Yea , I didn't think about the different software... It can be done , but it would be a lot work... I found most of the Ex-WNY members on SSP and recently convinced them over to SSC... Most of the site cross posts on those sites anyway with the exception of the NJ section... We have 72 members down from 90 at the start of this year and few hundred a few years ago... I don't know why many have left...no one can really give me answer... Indeed the call is really up to Edward...Id wish he come back and try to save his site from sinking...

Where is this SSC overhaul being discussed outside the realm of the mind?

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by EastMillinocket View Post
    Where is this SSC overhaul being discussed outside the realm of the mind?
    In the Mod section.... After NY & Chicago are redone , the Midwestern section is going to be expanded... Detroit , Green Bay are up next to get new sections... LMich has woo some Detroit members over from SSP... Baltimore-Washington section needs some TLC and a mod... All of that should be completed by December... The rest is a wait and see... But they do have a plan...

Quote Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
    Who runs the site?
    Edward "runs" the site, as in he created it.

infoshare is an active moderator but now that Zippy appears to have left the site - for whatever reason - on a permanent basis, I'm not sure how much "running" is going on.

I have been busy with work and the birth of my twins over the past year or so but it looks like WNY's days are numbered based on the activity levels.

What other sites do people congregate on?

Um.....

Is there a rule about posting once every 3 years or am I OK?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123