Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 501 East 74th Street

Default 501 East 74th Street

20 story residential building going up on E74th and York

Will have 83 units and be 205 feet tall according to DOB filing from 2009: http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

You can see a higher-quality render here: http://501e74.com/

Nice looking rendering at that link: thanks for sharing. I personally do not understand the wide spread urban appeal of wall-to-wall and floor-to-ceiling glass. It is like living in a fish bowl in the sky; solid walls, with big windows make for a much more comfortable and all around appealing urban habitat.

tectonic

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

This POS will have a parking garage on the ground floor instead of retail space eventhough it's facing an avenue. How does our inept City Planning and/or DOB allow this?

I see the walkup it replaced had not one, but three stores (one being a restaurant/bar). This POS will deaden the block even more.

The rendering doesn't show a parking garage. Was that accidentally on purpose?

The ground floor has a lobby, not a parking garage.

I don't see any reference to parking in the DOB documents. Parking isn't allowed in this part of Manhattan as-of-right, so they would need to apply for a special permit.

And I don't see how you deaden a block by adding significant residential density. In any case York Ave. is not a significant commercial thoroughfare, and if you wanted an intense pedestrian neighborhood, you would not pick this quieter, family-oriented part of the Upper East Side.

If you look at the Occupancy-Use doc, you will see "parking garage" listed for the ground floor.

On paper, one would think that adding more residential units would lead to more activity on the block but in reality, it does not and in many cases has just the opposite effect. What contributes more to the street level pedestrian activity is retail, and especially small, privately owned type retail (.i.e. not bank branches).

If "adding significant residential density" was all there is to enliven streets, then the streets of LIC Hunter's Point would be bursting with activity but we know that is not the case. Meanwhile, there are plenty of examples across the city where a street lined with mostly stores are full of pedestrians and shoppers. Almost all those people come from elsewhere. Those pedestrians don't live on that block.

This one property had three small stores. With this new building there will be none. It will deaden the block more. It is not about looking for intense pedestrian neighborhoods, it is about changing the character of this city, known for its liveliness and things to do, piece by piece, into a sleepier bedroom community. (Yes, I know you are going to come back and say something like, "LOL, this building isn't going to change the city into a bedroom community.")
    Last edited by antinimby; October 30th, 2014 at 11:05 AM.

Come on, this thing is on York Avenue - it's hard to make retail there work.

It's a wide avenue with lots of residentials all around and a some businesses (i.e. daytime workers). Why wouldn't it work?

It is not as busy as the other major avenues but the whole point is to create more vibrancy, not getting rid of it.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

What would work -

Deli
    Hair salon
    Shoe repair
    Coffee shop
    etc...

Thumbs up

Yup, you got it. While this stuff would not:

Resident lobby
    Landscaping
    Blank wall
    Loading dock
    Parking garage
    Plazas
    Porte cochère / driveways

Folks, it is not that difficult to see what contributes to a walkable neighborhood and what doesn't.

Just imagine you live in one of the buildings on a certain block, which of the things in the two lists that stache and I listed would interest you or you would find useful?

Why would anyone want the "would not work" list?

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post

Why would anyone want the "would not work" list?
    It isn't what you or I want, it's what works from a zoning and marketability perspective.

No luxury building in Manhattan is going to be leasing space to mom and pop florists, shoe repairs, nail salons or coffee shops. They want national, creditworthy, "clean" (no cooking or dirty use) tenants, signed to long-term leases, with guarantee that the check still comes if the business fails (with national tenants the check comes, with mom and pops, if it fails, like most businesses do in the first five years, landlord is out of luck).

What are dream tenants? Banks, apparel stores, jewelry stores, real estate offices. Clean uses, no night hours, no noise, little smelly garbage, etc. A financial home run and the condo buyers spending millions want these uses, not a greasy spoon or shoe repair joint.

Yes, I know that and I also know there's nothing we can do about it but that doesn't mean we can't talk about it here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast