Page 106 of 377 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110116156206 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,590 of 5647

Thread: Jersey City Rising

This is the old 7th Precent and a municipal facility. It is very beautiful and will have a floor added to it. The developer is renovating it. It has been talked about for 2 years but nothing has happened till now. Recently on the boarded for entrance, an orange box with a slash mark through it was put on the board which means renovation so it looks like the developer will start this summer. Also McGinley Square Park is nearing the completion of it's renovation.

Talking More business keeps coming to Jersey City!

New Technology Meets the Press
    Klaiss looks for the introduction of new high-speed presses to boost the company’s profit margin.
    CGI North America expands its capabilities to stay competitive

Shankar P.
    Real Estate/Economic Development
    3/26/2007

JERSEY CITY - The fortunes of many printing companies have declined in recent years as the Internet, desktop publishing and regulatory changes affecting Wall Street have taken their toll. Now these companies, including some in New Jersey, are revamping their businesses and delivering high-end premium services.
    One such makeover is occurring at CGI North America, a major producer of financial reports, whose U.S. headquarters are in Jersey City. The company is a unit of the CGI Group, which is based in London.

CGI North America last week began running its new Komori Lithrone S40, an advanced eight-color, eight-unit printing press that the company says is the first in the state. Next month, CGI North America will launch its second new operating line—and another New Jersey first, according to the company—a Komori web press that can produce 55,000 sheets an hour compared with 30,000-40,000 runs in conventional presses.

David Klaiss, president of CGI North America says the $14 million investment in the two Japanese-made Komoris will help his company improve its profit margins, even if revenue stays flat at around $90 million this year. The investment was financed in part by an $8.25 million loan from the New Jersey Economic Development Authority (NJEDA).

CGI North America was the state’s largest commercial printer last year, with 500 employees. But the company has been shrinking. Its work force now stands at 440, down from 1,200 in 2001 when its revenue was $130 million. The company was then known as Automatic Data Processing Graphic Communications. ADP last year sold the business to its current owners.

Back in 2001, the bulk of CGI’s customers were Wall Street investment banks that contracted out printing services for their research reports. That market shrank four years ago when regulatory scrutiny of the links between the brokerage and research wings of investment banks led many to scale back their research output. “We used to produce $100 million worth of investment research in 1999-2000; this year we will do $9 million,” says Klaiss.

Meanwhile, more companies have been diverting their print media dollars into alternatives like direct mail and desktop publishing, and e-mailing newsletters and other communications in PDF (portable document format) versions. “There has been a shift from printed material to electronic-delivery material,” says Robert Sternau, CGI North America’s director of marketing. “And part of our business shifted with that.”

“The Internet has made us an instant society,” says Klaiss. “Years ago, you used to go and get things printed for distribution and it used to take weeks. Everything now is rush, rush, rush.” Klaiss says one way to beat that trend is to offer improved service through faster turnaround and higher productivity. “That is why I am buying new presses: I cannot be competitive without them.”

CGI now has electronic tools and work-flow systems to help clients file regulatory documents and create content on the Web, in addition to offering print-on-demand services. Klaiss says his business mix has changed dramatically as the printing of investment research us replaced with commercial print jobs like catalogs and directories, documents filed with securities regulators and annual reports.

Another company that has changed with the times is Vanguard Direct, a Brooklyn, N.Y.-based printing and allied-services firm that plans to relocate some operations later this year to New Jersey. “About 15 years ago, we recognized the changes and we took action,” says Robert O’Connell, Vanguard’s president. “We re-engineered our company to provide marketing communications services as opposed to just printing services.”

Vanguard’s foresight has paid off over the past five years. Revenue has grown to about $40 million from $27 million in 2001, and the company has about 150 employees. O’Connell says Vanguard plans to relocate to Irvington in October, bringing 50 jobs and an investment of $8.15 million. For Vanguard’s planned investment and jobs, he says, the NJEDA last November approved a Business Employment Incentive Program (BEIP) grant of about $284,000.

Klaiss says the chief advantage of a Garden State location is its proximity to clients on Wall Street and in the pharmaceutical industry. “We were in an urban enterprise zone (UEZ), but Gov. [Jon] Corzine took away that sales tax advantage,” says Klaiss. “That hurts us because we have to charge our clients 7 percent more.” (A bill before the state Assembly would restore the sales tax exemption for companies operating solely in one of the state’s 32 UEZs.)

“My labor force is expensive here, and there are no economic benefits, excluding the NJEDA loan, which is slightly cheaper than the commercial interest rate,” Klaiss adds.

Sternau says printing establishments have steadily moved from New York City’s Hudson Street and Varick Street to New Jersey over the past few decades. “Hudson Street and Varick Street used to be the printing capital of the world for more than 100 years,” says Sternau, a 30-year industry veteran.

In the mid-1980s, he recalls, Trinity Church in Lower Manhattan, which owned many printing-district buildings, began converting them to office use and raising rents. “The price of real estate in downtown Manhattan became too great and many of those printing companies found it difficult to operate there,” he says.

Sternau says 60 to 70 percent of the print shops have moved to New Jersey, with others going to Long Island City. “These days at night you can see the lights on the presses that didn’t relocate,” he says. “Only a handful of companies are left there now.”

E-mail to shankar_p@njbiz.com

Exclamation Budget dispute for hotel lot

Land dispute puts budget in jeopardy

Saturday, March 31, 2007
    By KEN THOBOURNE
    JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Jersey City's budget is in limbo due to a land sale state officials say the city has no right to make.

The issue arose during a routine state review of Jersey City's municipal budget for the fiscal year that ends June 30. If the matter isn't resolved, the city will be faced with a $9 million hole in its budget, city officials said.

The issue involves 6.2 acres of vacant land Downtown in the Liberty Harbor Redevelopment zone along Marin Boulevard. The city has signed an agreement to sell it to three developers who plan to build 600 residential units and a hotel.

The negotiated price is $26.3 million, with the city kicking back $7 million for environmental remediation, officials said.

City officials assumed $9 million in income from the sale for this year's budget, which is being reviewed by the state.

But state officials are saying the state has an interest in the land, because tidal waters once flowed in the area. State and city attorneys are now researching laws and agreements that date back nearly 100 years to resolve the problem.

All parties seem to agree that a 1918 statute granted Jersey City the right to lease the property to anyone it wishes, which the city has done over the years.

But the buyers - Applied Development of Hoboken, SK Properties of Bridgewater, and Tramz Hotel Group of Warren - want the land with a clear title, city officials said.

City officials said they are negotiating a settlement with the state that would allow a project to move forward which they say will create 600 permanent jobs.

"We are negotiating with the state and are hopeful to reach a reasonable compromise whereby they will not seek to extract too much money that would otherwise be dedicated to property tax relief," said Corporation Counsel Bill Matsikoudis, who refused to discuss details of the negotiations.

Lee Moore, a spokesman for the state Attorney General's Office, was similarly tight-lipped.

"We are working with Jersey City to come to a resolution of this issue," he said.

City spokesman Stan H. Eason refused to speculate about consequences on the city's budget - or on property taxes - if the sale were not to go through.

"We anticipate a decision that will allow us to move forward with the development," he said.

Tarrunumn Murad, chief executive officer of Tramz, remained hopeful her company would soon start building a 300-room Hilton Hotel.

"I'm sure they will be able to resolve this issue," Murad said. "This is going to create jobs, and a lot of economic activity in the city. The hotel will generate 300 permanent jobs and they are also mostly non-skilled jobs."

Cool McGinley Square area seeing activity

City grants tax abatement to save senior housing

Saturday, March 31, 2007
    By KEN THORBOURNE
    JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

By a 7-0-1 vote, the Jersey City City Council introduced an ordinance Wednesday granting a 40-year tax abatement for a project that will preserve 79 low-income housing units for seniors.

The vote was somewhat controversial because the developer - Maryland-based Housing Trust of America - has so far failed to complete a 330-unit affordable housing development in the city that was due to open last year.

Ward F Councilwoman Viola Richardson, the lone abstention, has referred to that project - Whitlock Mills in the Morris Canal section of the city - as a "nightmare." Whitlock Mills is now due to open in July.

Monday's vote concerned 111 Storms Ave., a low-income senior housing building known as the YWCA Apartments. The consortium that owns the building has agreed to sell the property for $6.7 million, officials said.

But to raise this money, as well as $1.5 million for renovations, Housing Trust of America needs the 40-year abatement, said Wallace L. Scruggs, the company's president.

A final vote on the abatement is scheduled for April 11.

"I'm delighted, but it's not over yet," Scruggs said. "It is a wonderful project and I'm hoping the City Council votes yes' in two weeks."

On another tax abatement matter, the administration withdrew from Wednesday's agenda a proposed 25-year abatement for a 39-unit condo in the McGinley Square area. The council hasn't formed a consensus in support of the abatement, an official said.

Cool Loew's Jersey

DARK DELIGHTS
    Landmark Loew's celebrates Film Noir Weekend

Friday, March 30, 2007
    By MARY PAUL
    JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Who says Hollywood is about happy endings?

One of the great genres of cinema is noir, and to celebrate the era of dark stories with shady characters, the Landmark Loew's of Jersey City is hosting Film Noir Weekend.

Director of the Loew's Colin Egan said it was time they put the faded genre in the spotlight.

"We do monthly screenings here and we try to have some theme to the films. An obvious theme is film noir which is one of the most important film genres of the 20th century certainly of American cinema."

Each film was chosen for being an exemplary classic.

" 'Double indemnity' is certainly one of the most outstanding examples of the genre," Egan said.

" 'Out of the past' is considered textbook film noir but it's not quite as frequently screened as some of other titles in film noir and we thought it deserved a turn on the big screen here at the Loew's."

" 'Sunset Boulevard' is a little out of the norm for film noir in that it doesn't quite set up the typical anti-hero and crime gangster scenario that you have in many of the movies but it's certainly a great example of the stark black and white cinematography that is the hallmark of film noir and also the tragic flawed and unhappy characters that populate film noir."

When Egan heard that musician Madelin Zero, who lives in Jersey City, would be attending the screening of "Double Indemnity" and bringing a large group of other professional members of her industry, he was flattered but not surprised.

"I think that proves the value of screening classic films and a wide variety of film at the Loew's," he said. "Movies are usually how people first encounter acting, drama, comedy, music, dance. It's the art form that creates the most memorable images, and perhaps has the broadest impact, and what we see here is people from all walks of life who organize parties because films we happen to be showing speak to them in some way."

The Loew's Film Noir weekend begins tonight with "Double Indemnity." Tomorrow, catch "Out of the Past" and "Sunset Boulevard." The latter will be introduced and discussed by Brooklyn College professor of Film and author of "The Dark Side of the Screen: Film Noir" Foster Hirsh.

http://www.loewsjersey.org/

Cool More good vibes about Jersey City

INSPIRATION POINT
    Musician is inspired by Journal Square

Friday, March 30, 2007

Musician Madelin Zero loves Jersey City as much today as she did when she last spoke to the JJ three years ago. Loew's Film Noir Weekend is an event reflective of why she lives in this area, which she has called home for five years.

"I have a studio in the area, attached to my apartment, so I record all of my songs and write them in Jersey City," she said. "I love history and I love architecture, and I think Jersey City is a very inspiring place to live."

One of her favorite examples of Jersey City's historical beauty is the Landmark Loew's Theatre in Journal Square.

"It's the most amazing place I've ever seen. The first time I walked in there, I got tears in my eyes," she said. "It's also the place that Frank Sinatra decided that he wanted to be a singer. It would have been so horrible if they knocked it down."

Her enthusiasm for Loew's Film Noir Weekend is clear. She has invited dozens of friends and fellow artists to see "Double Indemnity" with her tonight. She hopes her guests will be as inspired by the 1944 film as she is.

"I love that era of film . I think it's really special what the Loews is doing," she said.

Zero has a new single coming out soon called "Gotta Know" Dusk Recordings label, and it will be featured in an upcoming episode of MTV's series, "NEXT," which airs weekdays at 5:30 p.m.

Visit www.madelinzero.com for more information about Zero and her music.

MARY PAUL

Ex-Basketball Star Helps Rebuild His Hometown

By KEVIN COYNE
    Published: April 1, 2007

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/01/ny...regionspecial2

Jersey City

THE first steps on the basketball journey that took Terry DeHere out of his hometown, then brought him back again, led down the scrubby hill from Randolph Avenue, along a sneaker-scuffed dirt path and through a chain-link gate onto the court that was known at the time simply as Garfield Park.

“My mom could actually look out the window and see that I was fine,” Mr. DeHere said as he stopped at the court on his rounds one recent day, pointing toward the house where he lived until his bull’s-eye jump shot lifted him to Seton Hall and the National Basketball Association. The court was renamed for him after he turned pro and gave $75,000 to refurbish it. “This is where I stayed 8, 10 hours a day, easy.”

He started coming to this court when he was 9, and he owned it by the time he was in high school, the shooting guard for the St. Anthony’s team that won 32 games without a single loss in his senior year. When he traveled around the city then, it was from court to court, looking for a game. When he travels it now, he’s looking for something different.

“This is my building here, this one that’s boarded up,” he said, pointing out a long-abandoned 12-unit apartment building on the corner of Bergen and Orient Avenues. “We should be able to get working on this by the summer, rehabbing it.”

Mr. DeHere scored 2,494 points at Seton Hall, still the school record. He was picked in the first round of the draft by the Los Angeles Clippers and spent six years earning the kind of paychecks that would have allowed him to live the manner of an N.B.A. grandee — the suburban castle with an indoor court, a pool, a putting green. He chose instead to come back to his home city in the off-seasons.

“Not too many players go back, but I never saw myself anyplace other than Jersey City,” he said. He now lives in a brownstone downtown and owns a Journal Square restaurant, the Blue Ribbon Summit House, in a building that is among the city’s oldest. “Just because you have a certain amount of success, that doesn’t mean it has to go somewhere else.”

Driving up Bergen through the Greenville neighborhood, he touched the horn of his black Ford pickup at what seemed every other corner, returning the waves and shouted greetings of people who recognized him. “This is an old toy factory here that we’re turning into senior housing,” he said, referring to his Jersey City Community Housing Corporation, a nonprofit organization.

Then, on the next block, he pointed to a hole in the ground — the foundation for 43 more units of senior housing. “That’s ours, too.”

Mr. DeHere, 35, started investing in real estate while he was still in the N.B.A. and became a developer after he retired in 1999 — starting not with golf-course condos or shopping malls or office buildings, but subsidized housing in the city he knew best. He has more than 100 units occupied or under construction, and he has ambitious plans for many more, spreading out from Jersey City to other urban neighborhoods in the state.

“This is the big one,” he said, stopping his truck in the Morris Canal section, near the light-rail station, where his real-estate development company Shining Star Productions is planning two 20-story towers of luxury condos with views of the Statue of Liberty and Manhattan. “This is the league. This is the one that gets you in the show.”

He turned his truck back toward his restaurant and passed too many young men hanging around on corners and stoops in the aimless way he never had time for himself when he was their age. “If I could just talk to these kids and touch them somehow, let them know there’s another way,” he said, by way of explaining why he is also running for a seat on the city’s Board of Education on April 17. (He ran unsuccessfully for City Council in 2001.) “If you can organize 200 people to be affiliated in gang activity, it’s the same power you need to have 200 people to do something positive.”

The Blue Ribbon was busy with lunch when Mr. DeHere arrived, the televisions tuned to coverage of the N.C.A.A. tournament. The building’s hand-hewn beams were salvaged 300 years ago from wrecked ships, the sandstone hauled in on oxcarts. Hanging on one of the walls was his Seton Hall jersey, No. 24. He is seeking permission from the city to have live music — jazz performers, D.J.s for private parties — but his application has been complicated by what he calls “the incident.” A few months after the restaurant opened in 2005, a late-night argument outside ended with gunfire and left an off-duty Hudson County corrections officer dead.

Basketballs were bouncing all over the TV screens, but Mr. DeHere paid no attention. “I might not watch 15 minutes today,” he said of the tournament into which he once led Seton Hall three years in a row. He had too much else to do, and that was one place he had already been.
    E-mail: jersey@nytimes.com
    Last edited by macmini; April 1st, 2007 at 01:11 AM.

My aunt owns a business near Journal Square. Anyone know when the Light-Rail is going to be FULLY complete? or is it up and running already?

Default Jersey City Rising

New member but avid supporter of the efforts to make Jersey City into a truly modern economic,cultural,and residential powerhouse that gives the world notice that this side of the Hudson has a truly remarkable,vibrant and highly relevent city to offer.The developments that are presently occuring or planned and soon will emerge from the ground give proof positive that Jersey City is going to be a major player among American cities as the years unfold..we will be a great 21st century urban dynamo.

My question is to the plans of Mack-Cali,the developers of Harborside,to ever complete the proposed Harborside project...will at least Harborside 4,6,and 7 get built as modern office towers and add to the growing prestige of locating in Jersey City?Will proposed 8 and 9 be sold to other developers for condo/luxury apartment projects?
    Last edited by citybooster; April 1st, 2007 at 10:05 PM.

Cool Citybooster welcome aboard

From a lifelong JC resident; Citybooster thankyou for realizing Jersey City's greatness and extreme potential. Harborside and Mack Cali just brought plans before the city council for Harborside Plaza 4 and there has been numerous talks abotu Plaza 6 and 7 but no official word yet. I would love to meet up and discuss JC and other things.

Betting on a sure thing?
    City considers off-track wagering for Newark Avenue

Ricardo Kaulessar
    Reporter staff writer 03/23/2007

Is horse-racing action coming to Jersey City?

While it's not a sure bet, it is being considered by Mayor Jerramiah Healy as a way to bring revenue into the city.

In 2001, then-acting Governor Donald T. DiFrancesco signed into law the Off-track and Account Wagering Act, which gave license to the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority to establish off-track wagering sites. The act also set conditions for the New Jersey Racing Commission Authority to issue off-track wagering licenses.

According to Healy, last November, the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority named Jersey City as a possible site for off-track wagering. The races are simulcast on screens in real time.

The practice is legal in New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania.

A local source said the city's finance director, Paul Soyka, took a bus tour to Philadelphia recently with some state officials to see how off-track betting sites operate. The source also said the city is sizing up a location on Newark Avenue, preferably near the Grove Street PATH Station, for a wagering site.

Soyka could not be reached for comment last week.

Healy said last week that the practice could generate revenue into the city and avoid tax hikes.

"I have nothing against gambling on horses," said Healy. "It's legal in New Jersey and it will be a great way to get revenues."

Getting on track

Currently, horserace betting occurs at nine casinos in Atlantic City, which the Wagering Act made possible.

Later this week, the first of 15 new proposed off-track betting sites in New Jersey is scheduled to open in Vineland.

Another off-track site in Woodbridge is scheduled to open this summer, and one in Toms River is scheduled for the fall.

Peter DeSimone, director of Off-track Wagering Services for the Sports and Exposition Authority, said the idea for a site in Jersey City is "very preliminary."

"Until we send a notice to a city that we want to cite a location for off-track wagering, there's quite a bit that needs to take place," said DeSimone.

Those efforts include assessing towns within a 10- to 15-mile radius of the Meadowlands Racetrack, like Jersey City, and determining if they have the right mix of demographics and at least 25,000 square feet of business space.

DeSimone said the model environment for off-track wagering would not merely be a walk-in venue, but rather a restaurant and sports bar that would generate constant business and taxable city income.

Ricardo Kaulessar can be reached at rkaulessar@hudsonreporter.com

©The Hudson Reporter 2007

Question Bad Math?!?

City accepts new offer for 325 Palisade Ave.

Monday, April 02, 2007
    By KEN THORBOURNE
    JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Jersey City took a $300,000 bath, but 325 Palisade Ave. is sold.

The Jersey City council voted last Wednesday to allow the sale of the three-story brick building to Due Vecchio, LLC, of West Caldwell, for $2.1 million - $300,000 less than the city paid for the property 18 years ago.

Even though the property is fetching less than it did nearly two decades ago, the selling price represents a $245,000 improvement over the winning $1.85 million bid Due Vecchio made for the property at an auction sale last August.

In October, the council - led by Ward D Councilman William Gaughan - refused to sanction the sale.

But Due Vecchio took the city to court, asserting the company had played by all the rules and won the bid fair and square.

The city filed a successful motion for summary judgment, and the complaint was dismissed in January.

But in February, Due Vecchio appealed to the Superior Court Appellate Division. With that decision pending - and bent on adding revenue to this year's budget - city officials decided to accept Due Vecchio's latest offer.

The city saved nearly $300,000 in rent over the 18-year period it owned the building and it would take hundreds of thousands of dollars to renovate it, officials said. Wednesday's vote to grant the sale was 8-0, with Ward C Councilman Steve Lipski absent.

Default Gambling on Newark

I think the idea of off-track betting on Newark is a horrible idea. I think it will lead to increased fights and crime. It is supposed to be a shopping and dining destination.

A comeback for carports?
    Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Since 2001, carports in Jersey City have been a no-no.
    But tonight, the Jersey City Planning Board is scheduled to consider a resolution that could pave the way for carports to make a comeback.
    The proposed resolution would allow garage-less property owners to construct a parking space in front of their house assuming they have at least 18 feet between their property line and the front of the building, officials said.
    Maximum width of the carport would be 10 feet, officials said.
    The Planning Board can recommend to the City Council what to do about this issue, but only the council can enact an ordinance.
    The Planning Board meeting is scheduled for 5:30 p.m., in the City Council Chambers of City Hall, 280 Grove St.

I think Fulop's plan of claiming that strip on Newark as a blight zone and rebuilding that block (btw C Columbus and Newark) with retail and dining would better serve the city to finally melt the west and east part of downtown together.

Default OTB in JC

As far as betting is concerned, OTB has a trashy and low-rent image.

I'd rather see JC find some remaining Lenni Lenape Indians, sell them back a few acres of their original land on a technicality, and build a high-class casino.

Not a trashy Atlantic City-type, but a real high-class casino.

Could be cool, and very lucrative.