Page 193 of 382 FirstFirst ... 93143183189190191192193194195196197203243293 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,895 of 5718

Thread: Jersey City Rising

Thumbs up More park improvements for JC

Bayside Park is under renovation

By The Jersey Journal
    November 12, 2009, 9:53AM

Reena Rose Sibayan/The Jersey Journal
    Bayside Park on Garfield Ave. in Jersey City is being renovated.

Bayside Park, which runs along Garfield Avenue from Van Nostrand Avenue to Bayside Park Drive, is being renovated by Green Construction, Inc. - adding two modernized and fully irrigated baseball fields, new lighting and a new fieldhouse with upgraded restrooms.

"It was with consultation with the residents that the final plan came about," said Ward A City Councilman Michael Sottolano, who represents residents in that area. "We're excited that it's finally happening. It's an extensive job."

In addition, Bayside Park Drive, which dead-ends into the park, will be connected to another access road off Garfield Avenue to improve the flow of traffic.

The plans will make various parts of the park handicapped accessible. There will be designated parking spaces, and "barrier-free accessibility" will span from the bleachers and fieldhouse, through the children's play area and athletic courts to the Light Rail station.

Lightbulb St. Peter's Prep adding to Downtown JC

Burke Hall renovation is first project at Prep

Thursday, November 12, 2009
    By MELISSA HAYES
    JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Reena Rose Sibayan/The Jersey Journal
    Fr. Bob Reiser, S.J., left, President of Saint Peter's Prep, and Jim Horan, Vice President for Planning & Principal Giving, hold artist renderings of the future Science Center, left, and of the Prep campus inside the school's Burke Hall.

St. Peter's Prep is transforming Burke Hall into a state-of-the-art science education building.

The $10 million renovation is the first phase of a long-term master plan that includes every facility at the 6-acre Downtown Jersey City campus on Grand Street.

The private school's Board of Trustees approved the master plan June 22.

It calls for a large multi-purpose space in the York Street parking lot; renovating Mulry Hall and Hogan Hall; reconfiguring the Jesuit residence; constructing a new academic building on York Street; and converting the upper floors in the Humanities Building to office space. The project is expected to take 12 to 15 years.

"The proposed phasing of the various projects over many years allows the school to execute projects and phases only when adequate funding is available for each step," said Board Chairman John Caulfield, a 1971 graduate.

The school has already raised $6.8 million of the $10 million needed for the first phase.

Burke Hall, an all-purpose academic building, would be renovated to include seven new laboratories and other science classrooms.

The three-story building sits at the corner of York and Warren streets and would also get a new main entrance from Warren Street to improve the flow of pedestrian traffic.

The plan cites the school's hundreds of graduates in science-related fields and inadequate science classrooms as reasons for the upgrade. The existing labs are 44 years old and the science classrooms are 67 years old.

In preparation for the Burke Hall renovations, St. Peter's Church, which the school owns, is being converted into a student cafeteria and multi-purpose space. The church was consolidated and closed in the spring.

The renovation work is expected to start late next year and conclude in summer 2011.

Default Thank you JCMan

Hi, I have been following your thread for a long time. I worked for a trade publication as an editor in Florida and my territory was north Jersey. I grew up in Caldwell and West Orange. I published new construction projects in JC, I would help contractors find jobs to bid on. I worked with alot of the builders in JC. The project on Newark Avenue I helped get subs jobs - I would publish who they could contact for plans and submit bids. I also was following the Journal Square project and several others. I have decided to finally move out of Florida, (waiting for my son to graduate high school ) and move home. Ive been thinking about moving to JC. I miss NJ so much, Ive been here 20 years and it never felt like home. Anyway I just wanted to thank you, you have no idea how much your information and pictures helped me at my job.

Hey IMISS you are very welcome; I sent you a PM.

Default JC Man is a Good Guy

I Second that motion IMISS on the JC Man. JC Man is a Rock to this site and to this City. I have disagreed with him on occasion, but he is and will always be a Rock. Great info and definately a patriot. Regardless to weather the City ultimately rises or crashes into a brick wall, he will be on that bus. And that is the defination of a patriot.

On another note...My usual imput to this site is blathering on about the economics of the city and the country just to bore the heck out of you guys, but I like it -- for what its worth.

Latest I feel from listening to the economists on Bloomberg, from the papers say and what I pick up in the news is that although we have been saved from the depths of a complete worldwide financial collapse....the banks are STILL not lending. This is the key issue for Jersey City, since it was sooo involved in commercial and residential construction in 2007. You'd walk thru Journal Square (my neighborhood) and every thrid building was being rennovated or knocked down for a condo to go up. It was like Miami. That all came to an abrupt hault in September of last year. The big stuff went up, but there is plenty of smaller stuff that just stopped overnight...it was strange.

The good news is we really came close to complete finacianl disaster as a nation. I dont know how many people understand that it was deeper than just a few speeches by Paulson and Bernaki. This thing was really the next great depression if you listen to the economists. We averted it.

The bad news for JC is that all the economists I hear continue to state that liquidity is still lacking in the 'credit markets'...thats bank speak for 'they are still not lending'. At least not like they should. Im not saying 0 down, no credit check, liar loans like in 2007, but they should be loaning something. Im missing this point...with a zillion dollars in TARP money out there...what heck are they doing with it? This would totally jump start JC contstuction again. This would totally jump start Journal Sqare again (and no...Im not 'just' talking about the towers). So where is the TARP...other than going to CEO's who completely destroyed thse banks with dangerous derivitive plays and then cut themselves 80 million dollar paychecks. Guys..what am I missing here? Where is the 'talent' in that that act must be 'compensated' because these guys are so 'talented'?

Fix this liquidity problem and you will have JC developement explode again. And things like the condo that got cancelled litterally across the street from me in J Square will be online again.

I cant speak to the sepcifics of the town, but I can speak to the big picture stuff, and I see this as JC's biggest problem right now. Liquidity that dried up, became unfunded overnight, and the developement that crashed all around my neighborhood. It is the nations problem.

Somehow the banks must be 'made' to start to lend again.

I said previously we are out of this thing in three years. I made that stement a year ago. OK so hold me to it. Lets start counting...one year down...two to go.

Opinions? What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by New Guy View Post

Fix this liquidity problem and you will have JC developement explode again. And things like the condo that got cancelled litterally across the street from me in J Square will be online again.
    I don't know that I ever again want to see development in JC "explode" again.

Because after every "explosion" comes... you guessed it, an implosion.

They were giving condos away for free during the bubble - literally, the requirements were: no down payment (or 5%), lousy job, and you got yourself a $500,000 property. A recipe for disaster.

Guess what - that is why the banks are still not lending. They now require some real cash down on properties (because the banks have all of a suden become risk-averse), and many buyers don't have the cash because of bad economy.

I say first things first - the economy in the metro area needs to rebound (don't ask me how since we have shipped our jobs to China), then people will have cash down or a collateral to buy a condo or a townhouse.

But making loans for any real estate property without at least 20 or 30% down in CASH is crazy, in my opinion.

It only leads to another speculative bubble and the next big crash.

Respectfully, I 'do' want to see another economic explosion in JC. And I believe that JC can pull one off based on real economics, and not the bubble stuff of 2007. South Beach Miami, downtown DC, downtown Ft. Lauderdale, Prospect Park Brooklyn...these are all areas that were depressed years ago. All of them experienced an economic explosion based on real economics. I lived in them and cant afford to go back to any of them now. So, it can be done, and it can be done the right way.

Regarding the banks, I really don't care if they are 'risk adverse' or not. They really need to start lending again. Period. They are part of the Congo line that got us into this mess. Ironic that they helped invent these toxic mortgages, helped market them, and they were also 'one' of the only 'two' parties on each mortgage contract with 0 down and no income verification...and now 'they' are risk adverse? That's like someone drinking a pint of Jack, getting behind the wheel, slamming into a wall and being 'wall adverse'. And denying everyone else in the country the ability to walk near a wall.

The American taxpayer put about a trillion dollars of TARP money out there a year ago to keep them from falling into the abyss. The American taxpayer also currently supports them through the Fed Window that allows them to borrow for virtually nothing (and loan it out at 5%)...so they can easily make money to further stabilize themselves. So...Is that the great economic 'talent' I keep hearing about on the news that they must retained with these million dollar bonuses....borrowing money from us for 0 percent and loaning it out at 5%... hell I am no genius, but even I can make money doing that. Or...more likely is that the American taxpayer doing these boys a solid with the Fed Window until they get on their feet. Some would say its talent...I think the latter.

Don't get me wrong, I am, and continue to be a huge advocate of stabilization. Its essential for the country and for JC. I want healthy banks. I want them to lend in JC again. The banks have fed off at least two major government programs, on the backs of taxpayers, and at a huge expense to the value of the US dollar I might add (yep...that one is a-commin like a freight train..but that is another story for another day...check back with me in a year..). We put more money in the hands of banks than half the GNP of the entire Continent of Europe...so could they all just do us a little 'favor'...here's the favor...next time they are cutting themselves that 80 million dollar bonus for all that 'talent' they bring...could they just lend just a little bit to someone in JC applying for a mortgage. Not looking for the 0 down liar loans of 2007 that they were so willing to fund, nor am I looking to return to 25% cash down of 1955. It should be somewhere in the middle. We got to get this thing rolling again, and they need to start lending. By free market will or by regulation.

I think we are actually saying the same thing..sort of.

Lastly, I Agree. The entire region must start to rebound before JC starts to claw its way back. Good news yesterday. Existing housing up 5%. HOOAH! Bad news today.. new construction housing down. 11%.

I still say thee years. One bad year down 2009. One to stabalize..2010. One to climb 2011. January 2012 we are OUT of this thing.

I was in JC yesterday and noticed the massive construction site next to the new Westin. What is this double tower going up? Anyone have any links or pictures on what this will look like?

OK, never mind, its the Monaco... Looks to be around 500 ft tall when completed. The massive base that both towers will sit on are completed and each tower looks to be well on their way. At 47 floors, I'm guessing this will top out summer 2010

I love the development that has been going on in JC and I hope it continues to rise. The coast will look more beautiful if they add more high rise towers like the goldman sachs tower. I also hope that the city center towers go up soon so that area will be beautiful. JC redevelopment is so interesting to watch and see what comes next.

Has there been any new developments or is everything still basically at a standstill?

You have the Monaco towers quickly rising on the waterfront; other than this, not much large-scale stuff going on. But, I passed by the site yesterday and I have to say that the structure is looking incredible. I mean, you now have these two tall towers sandwiched in this tiny space between a midrise (Double Tree) and another tall tower (Westin). It looks amazing, and the area is starting to have the feel of Manhattan. We just need to get a few more gaps filled in...

Forum Veteran

Cool

I Took this on Tuesday , they seem to rise a Floor a week , now.

*if you want more pictures of the waterfont area of Jersey City , i have documented most of it.

~Corey

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

That area does not have the feel of Manhattan, at least not from streetlevel anyway.

I would love to see your pics of the waterfront and i cant wait until the monaco is done. it will look great. and yeah i know the monaco is rising quickly, but too bad nothing bigger is in the works as of now. hopefully as the economy rises, more towers will be proposed and put up

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    That area does not have the feel of Manhattan, at least not from streetlevel anyway.
    Agreed. It kinda of feels like Atlanta, there are tall buildings but no vibrant street life because the developments are too auto oriented. But unlike Atlanta they don't need to be.