Page 229 of 346 FirstFirst ... 129179219225226227228229230231232233239279329 ... LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,435 of 5186

Thread: Jersey City Rising

Forum Veteran

I don't like this idea , its to big in an area that's mostly small buildings....Hoboken recently came out with a new plan that got alot of praise from the residents... Hoboken has alot of muscle , they have altered NJT plans several times in the past.... When you cover yards , its better to do it over a depressed yard like Sunnyside or 30th Street Philly , then an above ground yard like Hoboken or South Station in Boston because it often juts out and looks out of place. The Employees and Terminal Management has expressed Concern over building over a diesel yard and in this post 9/11 world that could easily derail the plan.

I work for NJ rail,worked in Hoboken's Erie Lackawanna terminal, and I don't see HOW they can cover a semi above grade yard without creating steep hills leading up to the developent.

In essence, they'd have to build a false geological "mesa" that will look like a strange plateau steeply rising at the end of Washington ave.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Newarkguy View Post
    I work for NJ rail,worked in Hoboken's Erie Lackawanna terminal, and I don't see HOW they can cover a semi above grade yard without creating steep hills leading up to the developent.

In essence, they'd have to build a false geological "mesa" that will look like a strange plateau steeply rising at the end of Washington ave.
    Thats what one of the plans calls for and it wouldn't fit in with the rest of Hoboken...

Last edited by Nexis4Jersey; May 5th, 2012 at 08:57 PM.

It would make Hoboken look like the outskirts of JC.....

Or the neighborhood outside a giant mall complex....

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Maybe you guys can get me up to speed. Are there any plans to make it easier to walk from Hoboken terminal over to JC?

There already is the waterfront walkway that goes from JC right through Hoboken Terminal. Thats the only way right now but its great!

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Is it on the new side? It's been a while since I explored Hoboken.

Yes it you can see the walkway in the Newport Park photo. It goes over the Long Slip then past the HBLR station then through the terminal out into Hoboken.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ianmac47 View Post
    The distinction between Jersey City and Hoboken is rapidly shrinking. The Cliffs, 700 Grove and Zephyr Lofts all might as well be in Hoboken even though they are on Jersey City's side of the border. The northern tip of Newport will be closer to the Hoboken terminal than to the Pavonia-Newport PATH station. The Van Leer property and the construction of the Cast Iron Lofts are filling in on the northern portion of the downtown.

Speaking of the northern portion of downtown -- that neighborhood probably needs a name. I've just been referring to it as the North End, but given that the area has been vacant for years, I'm not really aware of any historic neighborhood designation. Any thoughts?

But the Yard and the Terminal need to act like a barrier between Big Jersey City and Small Hoboken....there really is no reason other then greed to build on the yard... Hoboken Terminal and the Yard have alot of historical significance to Hoboken , covering them up would be erasing part of Hoboken's History. I don't care what you do on the JC side , JC should have huge buildings but Hoboken should be left to small 3-5 story buildings with the exception of the Waterfront. I Don't even think the land around there can handle such a huge building , its sinking and floods everytime you get a combo of high tide and small storm...

Forum Veteran

I don't have a problem with developing up Observer , I have a problem with developing ontop of the Yard which would destroy the History of the Terminal and create MESA as one poster said. You only develop above sunken yards where it would be a cap instead of a hill....I don't think there is a city in the US or Europe or Japan that builds ontop of there above ground - at grade yards.... NYC and Chicago build ontop of the sunken parts....same with Highways. I Hope NJT goes with the New Hoboken Plan over the crappy plan....it would not only look nice but it preserves the Historical Beautiful...

Building skyscrapers over Hoboken Yard will completely merge Hoboken into Jersey City to the uninformed eye. In fact, why not build a Washington Avenue viaduct over the yard towards Marin Boulevard? It would ease the horrific traffic into Hoboken.
    In fact, with Hoboken and JC skylines combined, as a huge downtown...WHAT'S THE POINT OF HOBOKEN STAYING INDEPENDENT vs ANNEXATION TO JERSEY CITY?

It's great to see construction beginning to boom again here in JC.

Under Construction:
    Cast Iron Lofts (Lackawanna Area)
    Laguna (Newport North)
    109-113 Columbus Drive (Grove St)
    198 Van Vorst Street (Paulus Hook)
    Warren & York St (Paulus Hook)
    Toll Brothers Project (PAD)
    292 Newark Ave (Village)

Cool New JC Restaurants Part 1

I agree JC Village; JC has hot yet again!! Some news about a bunch of new eateries that are opening up here in Jersey City.

Modern American Eatery Brings Upscale Cuisine and Vintage Cocktails to the Bergen-Lafayette Neighborhood
    By Melissa Surach • Apr 20th, 2012 • Category: Featured, Food

There’s a new upscale restaurant in Jersey City and it’s not in Downtown.

Modern American Eatery is in the Bergen-Lafayette neighborhood – in fact the only dine-in option in the area that’s not Chinese take-out or fried chicken.

It’s a few blocks away from the Liberty State Park Light Rail stop. Since the restaurant opened last week, it’s helped bring the community together, which is what the owners wanted. Their vision is to become a neighborhood institution, to grow with the community and provide a comfortable place to relax at the end of a hectic day.

“Artists, theater people, live around here. And every interaction has been positive,” says Noah Sexton, an attorney and owner of the restaurant. “This neighborhood has a stigma, but we found a lot of great people.”

He said that a lot of the artistic community, driven from Downtown, have found refuge in cheaper housing prices in the area and have reconnected through the restaurant. “People meetup with people they haven’t seen for years,” Sexton says. “This is a gathering place.”

When designing the restaurant, they sought regular feedback from residents of Bergen-Lafayette, who were very interested in its development. People were concerned that the owners would open a dive bar, says Sexton, and wanted to make sure they would open a business that would be a positive influence in the community.

Modern American Eatery regulars so far include JCI contributor Mamarama Jayne Freeman and “Master Sup” (pronounced “Soup”), a renowned mixed martial arts champion and gang prevention advocate, as well as musicians, actors, writers and other creative types.

“I’m still in shock that there’s an excellent restaurant in my neighborhood,” raves Freeman. “The few dishes I’ve had so far were sublimely delicious, and the staff could not be nicer or more genuinely enthusiastic about their menu. I want to dine there every day.”

The restaurant has a vintage aesthetic, represented in both its interior design as well as its cocktail list and menu.

“We wanted to tip our hats to the past,” says Sexton. Everything from the menu to the design of the bar represents this old-timey appeal – decor details include theater seats that line the dining room wall, which come from a movie theater in Ohio, plus a dining seat that came from a “snooty” country club, as well as vintage U.S. military surplus shades.

Head Bartender Adam Volpe flew in from Tampa last week to design the drink menu. Another owner, Joe Dell’Armi, the former director of operations of The Meatball Shop, said that they called Volpe, a longtime friend and musician, and asked him to bartend the following day. Volpe promptly got on a plane and headed into Jersey City. He is currently staying with Dell’Armi, Sexton and chef Gregory Torrech, old friends who moved together to Jersey City two months ago to start the restaurant. In fact, the three are roommates, living in the same building right above the restaurant.

In keeping with their old-timey aesthetic, Modern American Eatery serves mostly American brands of liquor and beer – like Tito’s and Death’s Door – and pre-Prohibition Era cocktails. In fact, they hand-squeeze the juices and candy the fruits themselves, particularly the cherries for the Old Fashioned, made from sour cherries, pitted and soaked in simple syrup and other sugars and spices. (There are other secret things that they do for the drink recipes that I was not privy to.)

The menu, designed by acclaimed chef Greg Torrech, is an eclectic classic American menu with some Soul and South American and Caribbean influences. Yucca and avocado make many appearances, but the menu also has everything from mixed olives to pork and poached egg stew with collard greens, to a charred farro risotto with maitake mushrooms. The deviled eggs were flavored with thick slabs of bacon, chives and Turkish Pepper, which gave it a nice bite on the backend. The lamb ribs were marinated overnight in a thick rub comprised of Dale’s Pale Ale, molasses, honey, fennel, coriander and some other spices and it falls off the bone. All items are reasonably priced with most entrees costing around $12.

Modern American Eatery is located at 339 Communipaw, off Pacific Avenue.

Photos by Farooq Alihassan

Click the link for more photos coupled with article:
    http://www.jerseycityindependent.com...-neighborhood/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheeseboy, the Grilled Cheese to Go Fast Food Joint, Coming to Jersey City
    By Matt Hunger • May 2nd, 2012 • Category: Blog, Food, News

The delicious trend of quick fix cheese-based food franchises continues to takeover the tri-state area with the addition of Cheeseboy in Jersey City. The to-go restaurant is the country’s (and probably the world’s) first fast food grilled cheese restaurant and will be opening at the Newport Centre Mall later on this week. This marks the company’s eighth location and first in New Jersey.

“Opening at Newport Centre is an important milestone for us as we continue our march forward,” Cheeseboy Founder and President, Michael Inwald, said in a statement. “The mall is an ideal fit for our concept, allowing us to reach on-the-go shoppers and local professionals as we expand our brand awareness and prepare to franchise later this year. I can’t think of a better way to celebrate National Grilled Cheese Month than adding this new location in a New Jersey.”

Inwald thought up the idea while working towards his MBA at Yale School of Management and then began to test his idea at county fairs throughout Connecticut in 2009. Following the welcome reception of the grilled cheese stands, Inwald decided to leave school and pursue his dream.

http://www.jerseycityindependent.com...o-jersey-city/

Cool New JC Restaurants Part 2

VB3 opens in Downtown Jersey City, bringing together a pizzeria, seasonal Italian restaurant and late-night cocktail lounge
    Published: Monday, May 07, 2012, 2:35 PM Updated: Monday, May 07, 2012, 5:02 PM
    By Adam Robb/For The Jersey Journal

The bar inside VB3 -- chef Mike Colletti's new modern Italian restaurant at the base of Newport's Monaco building -- will be open to 3 a.m. on weekends. Wednesday, May 2, 2012. -- Adam Robb/For The Jersey Journal

VB3 -- the new slice joint, seasonal Italian restaurant and late-night cocktail lounge in the Newport section of Downtown Jersey City -- is officially open.

Located at the base of the Monaco building at 475 Washington Blvd., between the Westin and Doubletree hotels, VB3 is an off-shoot of Woodbridge's Villa Borghese Pizzeria. Here, it's given a modern update by chef Mike Colletti, best known for his role in opening two of the Obamas-frequented D.C. lunch spots, Good Stuff Eatery and We the Pizza.

After filling a void in D.C.'s casual dining scene, Colletti is doing the same in a neighborhood where there's a wide gap between the casual fare at the Newport Centre mall food court and surrounding chain sandwich shops and the upscale dining at Fire & Oak, Michael Anthony's and even newly opened Skylark on the Hudson, a sophisticated update of the original Edison diner. It's also the rare example of a small, local, family business filling a vacancy in one of Newport's fast-rising residential towers, which have filled with tenants much more rapidly than they have with storefronts.

While Wednesday's ribbon cutting -- which brought out the mayors of Jersey City and Woodbridge as well as representatives of Roseland Property, which owns the Monaco building -- it was also the rare photo op that featured an emotional outpouring of all the families involved in making the restaurant opening possible,

"We're happy to bring our family together to open in our home state," co-owner Joe Russo told the capacity house of friends and family. "It's been a long road to get here, and we're finally here. We're ready to be successful. Thank you for putting up with us during these hard times."

Another partner, Gary Leff of G Leff Security, praised Roseland Property, his employer for more than a decade, for taking a chance on supporting him in a new venture.

And chef Colletti, in what's become a trend in this recent wave of Downtown Jersey City's restaurant openings, thanked those responsible for the actual ingredients to their success.

"The local purveyors who have been giving us great food and produce, thank you," he told the crowd waiting to return inside the dining room for the pizza, arancini, crostini and local craft beers servers passed out well into the night.

The local beers, like New Jersey Beer Co.'s 1787 Abbey Single Ale, are on tap all day and night at VB3's pizzeria, which serves classic slices and pies, subs, salads and pasta dishes day and night.

The local produce -- there's 50 pounds of ramps in the fridge --- are best showcased through the doors of the restaurant. Affordable and hearty plates of seasonally changing comfort foods fill the menu, every classic dish, from hanger steak to lamb chops to scallops, is enhanced by fresh fruit and vegetables, like the salmon with morels and peas or pork belly with Swiss chard and watermelon.

After dinner service, the space focuses on its cocktail menu, where drinks made beneath the flatscreen televisions lining all sides of the bar feature fresh juice, house-made syrups and infusions and even a homemade limoncello. The drinks list offers hope for a potential cocktail renaissance in Jersey City, as VB3 follows in the footsteps of the sophisticated drinks program at MAE Modern American Eatery, recently opened on Communipaw Avenue, and with Thirty Acres' own liquor license for its Jersey Avenue and Wayne Street space imminent.

Unlike its cocktail competition, the lounge at VB3 is open until 3 a.m.

VB3 is located at 475 Washington Blvd. in the Newport section of Downtown Jersey City. For information, call (201) 420-4823 or go to the restaurant's website or Facebook page.

It's open for lunch Monday- Saturday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Sunday brunch from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.; and dinner Monday through Saturday from 4 p.m. to midnight and Sunday from 5 to 10:30 p.m.

The late-night lounge is open Friday and Saturday from midnight to 3 a.m.

Happy hour is Monday to Friday, 5 to 7 p.m.

The pizzeria is open daily from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.

http://vb3restaurant.com/

Click on link for more pictures coupled with article:
    http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2..._jersey_c.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Skylark diner of Edison opens sophisticated offshoot in Jersey City's Newport development
    Published: Thursday, April 19, 2012, 1:22 PM Updated: Thursday, April 19, 2012, 6:15 PM
    By Adam Robb/For The Jersey Journal The Jersey Journal

Skylark on the Hudson is designed with retro interiors. Thursday, April 19, 2012. -- Adam Robb/For The Jersey Journal

The owners of the Skylark diner in Edison cut the ribbon this morning on a sophisticated new offshoot -- the Skylark on the Hudson in Jersey City's Newport neighborhood.

Owner Constantine Katsifis was joined at 11 a.m. by City Council President Peter Brennan and other officials to open the doors to the new eatery at 25 River Drive South, previous home of the South City Grill.

Skylark, now open, serves more than 150 dishes, including more "flavor-forward" diner fare like Blueberry & Mascarpone-stuffed French Toast and Slow Braised Boneless Short Ribs as well as classic sandwiches, burgers and salads, all turned out by a massive, environmentally friendly kitchen and bakery.

Overseeing that kitchen, dining room and outdoor space are partnering chef Craig Shelton -- best known as a James Beard award winner for his Ryland Inn in Whitehouse -- and executive chef Leonardo Marino, whose resume includes the Michelin-starred Le Bernardin, Jean-Georges and Bouley.

"I spent the first 10 years of my professional career at the other side of the river, at a place called Bouley, which at the time was the No. 1 restaurant in America," Shelton recalled before the ribbon cutting. "And I kept noticing a high proportion of my best clients were from here, from the other side of the river, in New Jersey. I became curious, and I learned more about it -- the Garden State -- today I am so proud to find myself in New Jersey again."

Skylark on the Hudson is the fourth of five much anticipated dining destinations to open in Jersey City this spring -- the others being Thirty Acres, Modern American Eatery, Cake Lush, and the forthcoming VB3 in the nearby Monaco building.

And while their concepts range from farm to fork to fish tacos, cake lollipops to artisanal pizzas, comfort food with local, quality ingredients at a reasonable price is their common trait, which Katsifis and Shelton place a premium on in this current economy.

"This concept is something Constantine and I collaborated on for a while, and it was to take all the friendliness, all of the ease of a traditional American diner, and update the concept with New Jersey fresh products and high culinary techniques," Shelton added, "to try to give our guests a service that is correct for such a time as this."

http://skylarkonthehudson.com/

Click the link for more pictures coupled with article:
    http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2...in_jersey.html