Page 248 of 381 FirstFirst ... 148198238244245246247248249250251252258298348 ... LastLast
Results 3,706 to 3,720 of 5705

Thread: Jersey City Rising

Cool Yelp, Madox, Paulus Hook Perfect Together

Yelp, Madox building team to show off the Paulus Hook neighborhood in Jersey City
    By The Jersey Journal
    on May 24, 2013 at 10:00 AM, updated May 24, 2013 at 10:03 AM

(Gallery by Lauren Casselberry/The Jersey Journal)

Many of the highly rated dining venues and social hotspots that make living in historic Paulus Hook special will help kick off Yelp’s Passport to Paulus Hook week long event on Saturday, June 1.

The free event takes place from 2 to 5 p.m. on the rooftop at Madox, a new residential rental building at 198 Van Vorst St., in Jersey City.

Designed to showcase the lifestyle opportunities in the Paulus Hook neighborhood, the event will feature area restaurants, breweries, and bakeries joining with national brand food and beverages to encourage people to eat, drink, and shop locally.

Attendees can sample items from popular establishments such as Carlos’ Bakery, VB3, Golden Krust Bakery, Empanada Mania, White Star Harbor, Marker’s Restaurant and the Iron Monkey.

Beer enthusiasts will try a selection of local New Jersey brews from New Jersey Beer Company, Climax Brewing and East Coast Beer.

Familiar brands including Tito’s Vodka, Senor Sangria, Spodee Wine, Pretzel Chips and Kind Bars will also be available. A professional DJ will provide music.

The kickoff also will raise money for the Historic Paulus Hook Association (HPHA), according to Stephanie Yolish, New Jersey community manager for the popular Yelp review website. A $10 donation for the non profit organization HPHA is suggested.

To attend the event, RSVP through Yelp by visiting http://www.yelp.com/events/jersey-ci...kick-off-event.

“Madox embodies the best of Paulus Hook and is the perfect venue to commence Yelp’s Passport to Paulus Hook event,” says Yolish.

“One of the main reasons we were so excited about Madox was the opportunity to develop a new residential building in a neighborhood as dynamic and vibrant as Paulus Hook,” said James Caulfield Jr., a principal of Madox’s developer, Fields Development Group. “This event incorporates all the positive attributes of the Paulus Hook community.”

Madox includes 131 upscale apartments created in a LEED¨ Silver certified seven-story building with a multi-toned brick and steel exterior faŤade. The building provides views of the Statue of Liberty and Manhattan skyline.

Interiors have hardwood floors, 9-foot ceilings, washer/dryer in every home, and master baths with custom vanities and tile. Gourmet kitchens feature custom 42-inch cabinetry, stainless steel appliances, gas cooking, Caesarstone countertops, tile floor and backsplash, and designer lighting and fixtures.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/inde...l#incart_river

Sounds like Madox is having trouble leasing up...

Cool More restaurant news

That definitely could be the case. In any case this is a great promotion for the building and the area.

In other news I'd figure I'd share with a few new restaurant news and happenings.

Orale Mexican Kitchen is a great addition to Downtown Jersey City. It has an excellent food and tequila selection. Very bright and very urban with a great graffiti mural of the Manhattan skyline when you walk in. It is located at 341 Grove Street; about half a block north from the corner of Grove and Newark Avenue.

http://www.oralemk.com/#

Thirty Acres on the corner of Jersey Avenue and Wayne Street; the very popular restaurant finally got it's liquor license and is expected to have a stellar wine and beer selection to go along with its much raved and reviewed menu as featured in the NY Times. It will begin serving liquor on Tuesday May 28th.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/24/ny...ity.html?_r=1&

http://www.seeninjerseycity.com/2013...-and-beer.html

Surf City, at 1 Marin Blvd., will be reopening May 30th after sustaining heavy damage from Hurricane Sandy.

http://www.surfcitybar.com/#

http://www.seeninjerseycity.com/

Edwards Steakhouse is looking to be reopening from it's post Hurricane Sandy damage within in matter of weeks.

http://www.edwardssteakhouse.com/wp/

A new place called Shanghai Best on Montgomery St in the bottom of the renovated buildings near the corner of Warren and Montgomery St. Photo and info courtesy of "David" of www.seeninjerseycity.com

http://www.seeninjerseycity.com/2013...ontgomery.html

Default Madox

Quote Originally Posted by tbal View Post
    Sounds like Madox is having trouble leasing up...
    My friend just rented 2 bed 2 bath there (price=3055 for about 850 SF). I asked the leasing office about occupancy and they expect to be fully rented June/July. The building is quite nice- though I can't imagine paying that much as a renter.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

With a roommate that's not too​ bad -

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSas View Post
    My friend just rented 2 bed 2 bath there (price=3055 for about 850 SF). I asked the leasing office about occupancy and they expect to be fully rented June/July. The building is quite nice- though I can't imagine paying that much as a renter.

That's insane...you can own for significantly less than that if you can come up with the $$ for the down payment. Even if the rent is split 50/50 with a roommate, you're still talking about nearly $20k of after-tax income per year each. If you put that money instead into a savings account for just 3 1/2 years, you'd have enough for a down payment on a new one bedroom condo in downtown.

What alot of people don't understand is that the average person's savings rate can improve quite dramatically when they own instead of rent. Consider that alot of people who earn around $100k pay for luxury housing, eating out every night, starbucks, gym memberships, vacations, student loans, etc., and you can see how some of them can barely put away $10k a year into their savings accounts. So an additional $10k of savings each year that this same person could put away by owning instead of renting would be a 100% increase in savings rate.

Anyway, getting back to Madox - all I'm going to say is that real estate companies won't put the effort into marketing a building unless they have to.
    Last edited by West Hudson; May 25th, 2013 at 02:18 PM.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

I'm completely with you on the eating out/fine dining part. HUGE waste of $ if done too often.

Default Equipment Arrives at Provost Square, 210 Ninth Going Up

Here are a few random pics & notes from Memorial Day:

Equipment has finally arrived at the Toll Brothers/AECOM site on Marin (Provost Square). It will be pretty incredible to see two massive towers rising on this stretch of Marin with all its vacant lots:

148 First Street is quickly rising now:

210 Ninth Street is well into construction:

And a few pics of my favorite downtown JC development, Cast Iron Lofts (looks more awesome than I realized):

Last edited by West Hudson; May 28th, 2013 at 01:26 AM.

And a few pics of my favorite downtown JC development, Cast Iron Lofts (looks more awesome than I realized):

It looks fine from that angle, but the south wall is a dreadful addition to the skyline.

I'm sure they did that in anticipation of building something at least as tall, if not taller, right up against it on that side. I think this area is going to be a new center of gravity for the whole area once it's all built out. I really wish Hoboken Brownstone was going to go taller than 6 stories at Van Leer, but at least they re-did the design to make it more appropriate for the area.

I'm sure they did that in anticipation of building something at least as tall, if not taller, right up against it on that side. I think this area is going to be a new center of gravity for the whole area once it's all built out. I really wish Hoboken Brownstone was going to go taller than 6 stories at Van Leer, but at least they re-did the design to make it more appropriate for the area.
    Yeah thats why I assumed as well when I saw the southern facade. I'm really excited for the Van Leer development to get going! Are they waiting for the Spectra gas line project to be completed before they start construction or have they infact already started?

I didn't see any activity on either of the Van Leer sites when I was there - but there was plenty going on with equipment/components related to the Spectra pipeline on the site just west of Cast Iron Lofts.

Lightbulb Well What Do Ya Know...New Neighbor for Cast Iron Lofts On the Way

According to the agenda for tonight's Planning Board meeting, a 26-story residential building is being proposed for the site next door to Cast Iron Lofts (with a whopping 26,600 sf of retail space, 232 units, and 311-space parking structure).

Also on the agenda is a new 37-story residential tower for Newport (405 units at 75 Park Lane South).

http://cityofjerseycity.com/uploaded...%204%20agn.pdf

Cool Hoboken's Loss Jersey City's Gain

^^Knew that blank wall was for a reason lol. Nice to see! I was speaking to a friend of mine who does real estate in Downtown JC and he said that Van Leer Brownstones should commence construction by the Fall of this year.

On another note, I'm sure you most of have heard that the legendary Maxwell's in Hoboken is closing it's doors this July. It's unfortunate but the owner cited rising costs, lack of people in Hoboken that want to hear live music, and lack of parking. The culture of Hoboken has changed and it has forced Maxwell's to move. However the owner is considering opening in Jersey City due to JC being more of a hotspot and having an thriving artist community that Hoboken has forced out. He books for the Bell House in Brooklyn and said hell move his focus there while noticing the similarities between JC's and BK's population.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hoboken bar Maxwell's, an anchor in the local indie-rock scene, will close in July
    The venue's owner said the city and its people's tastes have changed. He plans to focus on the music scene in Brookln and possibly open a new club in Jersey City.

By Daniel Beekman / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Tuesday, June 4, 2013, 8:09 AM.

Maxwell's in Hoboken is closing at the end of July.

The beat won’t go on much longer at Maxwell’s, the beloved Hoboken bar and restaurant that for decades has anchored New Jersey’s indie-rock scene.

The gutsy Garden State venue will close for good at the end of July because Hoboken and its people have changed, Maxwell’s co-owner Todd Abramson said Monday.

The city has sprouted a wealth of luxury apartment buildings, and newcomers seem to prefer sports bars bristling with giant TVs over live bands, he said, adding that he’ll shift his focus to Brooklyn, where he books for the Bell House in Gowanus.

“The artists and musicians got priced out a ways back,” he said of Hoboken. “We don’t really have many Hoboken bands anymore.”'

Parking has also become a major problem, Abramson added. The new hot spots are in Brooklyn and Jersey City, he observed.

The rock veteran is thinking about opening a new venue in Jersey City.

Hoboken’s Hudson County neighbor is buzzing, he said.

Barcade — the watering hole/arcade hybrid — opened a Jersey City outpost in 2011 after succeeding in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, Ambramson noted.

The torch will pass July 31, when Maxwell’s hosts its final live show. The band “a” was the first group to rock the venue and will return as its closing act, Abramson said, predicting a “real old-school Hoboken night.”

There will likely be tears in the crowd, but they won’t belong to Abramson, he said. Old-timers labeled him a yuppie when he moved to Hoboken back in 1984, so he won’t play the curmudgeon.

“I’m ready for a change,” Abramson insisted Monday.

dbeekman@nydailynews.com

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...#ixzz2VP1axwRu

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really hope this happens; I would welcome a Maxwell's type place in JC with open arms as would all of Jersey City!!!

+1

I'd love to see a great indie rock venue open in the Grove Street area.