Page 278 of 379 FirstFirst ... 178228268274275276277278279280281282288328378 ... LastLast
Results 4,156 to 4,170 of 5684

Thread: Jersey City Rising

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

That's a nice interior in that performance space.

I personally can't wait til White Eagle Hall re-opens as a performance venue. There are so many great bands out there that don't get any airtime on the radio stations around here because half of those stations play the same 10 big-name artists' recycled garbage over and over and over again and the other half play songs that are decades old over and over and over again. It would be awesome to see some indie/indie pop/alternative bands from around the country (or world?) perform live in that space.

Default Rising higher, 5/5/2014

All of the images are on my blog, http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....verism-of.html

Provost Square

70-90 Columbus (Gene Kaufmann)

110 First Street

URL Harborside

Liberty Towers renovation

18 Park

Now for Liberty Harbor (North of Hoboken!)

OMG, just when you think the Jersey City skyline is prepped to soar over the next decade over at New York YIMBY there's a feature on a new massive tower proposal, 625,000 square foot Hudson Exchange West which is the launching point for a complete development of a proposed six block area that appears to be what is currently Metro Plaza behind the Monaco/ Marbella developments. Real possibility mentioned of the 61 story re-imagined San Remo rising soon as well... while it will take a decade to build out looks like at least six or seven residential towers built in a largely glass/ masonry style that will take boring current glass styles to a much higher level, with shimmering reflectiveness balanced with skilled masonry. By 2025-2030 forget merely having the best skyline for a mid sized city, ours will be among the best in the world. Maybe not the supertall height of many other skylines but in volume most impressive as we react to the scope of urban density by greater reliance on verticality.... and there are STILL plots of land that best would be developed for verticality that haven't even entered the planning stages yet, or are on the cusp of development.

Cool Sweeetttt!!!!!!!

First off yes our art and theater scene is booming and that is just as important as our soaring skyline. Yes I would also like to see White Eagle Hall host many cool indie bands from across the country.

Now to this big news found by Citybooster on NY Yimby. This is AMAZING!!!!! That area of Metro Plaza was always suppose to be high rises but in the 80s and 90s there just wasn't a demand on that plot of land yet for them so they went with retail being right next to Newport Mall. However there is one building there with an extra deep foundation; the A&P and BJ's building has a multi-story deep foundation because it was going to be the site of one of the first towers there. But when the recession in the late 80s early 90s hit, the whole plot of land became a strip mall to get taxes off the land. Now it seems an updated plan and use for the original site has come back to life!! This is going to be amazing when this area is built out. This will become our own "Hudson Yards'. Now to all the people that give JC crap for this strip mall, when I have told them time and time before that it will eventually be built on when Downtown fills up, what have you got to say? JC is planning and building better than it ever has before and will have one the biggest and densest skylines in the United States when all is said and done and very few cities in this country will be able to touch us! Hopefully atleast one of the towers will start in the next few years.

What is being exhibited with all of these renderings coming out and buildings under construction, is that the interest and value of Jersey City is ever increasing for the foreseeable future and JC is positioning itself for decades to come. JC is truly coming and maturing into its own and becoming a mid-major city that NJ can be proud of!! JC STAND UP!!!

More renderings here:
    http://newyorkyimby.com/2014/05/reve...ange-west.html

That is the best example of sprawl repair I have ever seen! Big Box store to Skyscrapers!

Default Metropolitan Site

I hate to rain on the parade here, but that first building (center in rendering above) in the Hudson Exchange West redevelopment is where the massive nearly 800 ft Metropolitan was supposed to be built back in the last boom (aka the Pep Boys site). The design shown is nice IMO but I would much rather see the Metropolitan built there.

In related news, at tonight's Planning Board meeting, G&S Developers (the owners of Metro Plaza) sought approval for the subdivisions necessary to break the site into city blocks: http://cityofjerseycity.com/uploaded...%20May6agn.pdf

Have to disagree with tbal... height is great but this creates a new neighborhood with a large public plaza in the middle. It's a complete vision whereas the Metropolitan (of which the design I loved too, but overall this whole concept seems way more preferable) was piecemeal, and the developers had no real pulse to where the downtown Jersey City market is going. These buildings and city blocks as a whole make for a plan that whle logistically is nowhere near as complicated as in Hudson Yards building over rail tracks nonetheless is the most sweeping urban vision of the new Jersey City, with ambitious towers of reflective glass, masonry and brick that come together like an organic neighborhood on what is currently a severely underutilized typical big box lot. It will certainly contribute greatly to a completely glorious Jersey City with nearby 99 Hudson, Harborside URL, 70 AND 90 Columbus, Provost Square, Marbella II, the San Remo, eventually the Ellipse, 110 First Street and the eventual centerpiece of 111 First being developed.... and the opportunity for quite a few more. 12 towers 400-700 ft( it appears) with the likelihood of public plaza, retail, shops, restaurants.... the Metropolitan is micro in comparison to the macro vision Hudson Exchange West will be spurring. Any idea what the neighborhood when complete will be called? No doubt this is at least a decade away from real fruition but I'm so excited already for my city!

Hmmmmmmmmmm.. for whatever reason the link to the architectural firm for Hudson Exchange West for whatever reason has been taken down and reads as page not found. Maybe there are more tweaks before the developers want to present it? Still very excited that there seems to be a truly transforming vision for the area, but would like to know why it was taken down.

Tbal... any results from last night's Planning Board meeting on the request of the developers for the subdivisions to city blocks? I do believe something big will be going on here if and once the application is approved to get things rolling.
    Last edited by citybooster; May 7th, 2014 at 01:33 PM.

Forum Veteran

While thats nice , it won't change the fact that area is dead after hours...

Well I would like to see the Metropolitan still built but brought in with this Hudson Exchange West plan. Yes it does seem like there will be a public square in this complex really adding to the neighborhood feel with all the retail on the bottom of these buildings. This will do greatly to repair the fabric of the area and undo the damage dun by the current retail strip mall. It only makes sense that this area would be the next for large development as development sites are getting built on and closing in on all sides of Metro Plaza. Within a few years the Powerhouse Art District will be built out, the street wall along Washington Blvd is getting filled in, and with the large Historic Downtown Brownstone districts preserved to the west of Van Vorst Park, Harsimus Cove, and Hamilton Park, this is going to quickly become the only large multi block plot of land left to build tall Downtown. Great to see JC's planning improving and building for the future

Nexis if you are referring to Metro Plaza, the strip mall, then of course it is because its a strip mall. If you are referring to the historic Brownstone district west of Marin Blvd, you are dead wrong. Grove Street and Newark Avenue with all the new bars, restaurants, and small businesses that have opened and are in the process of opening, that area is extremely lively afterhours and on the weekends. That's where I go on my weekends and after work for happy hour and those places there are pretty packed. That business district is only expanding and will expand I predict into the PAD as more of these developments in there with retail at the base of these warehouses open up. I expect Provost Square to add some bars and restaurants to the area to compliment 6th Borough (former Powerhouse) and O'Hara's. Also with regards to Newark and Grove, once Newark Ave between Grove and Barrow/Erie streets becomes a permanent pedestrian blvd this summer, it will only add to the night life and liveliness of the area.
    Last edited by JCMAN320; May 8th, 2014 at 05:43 PM.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by JCMAN320 View Post
    Well I would like to see the Metropolitan still built but brought in with this Hudson Exchange West plan. Yes it does seem like there will be a public square in this complex really adding to the neighborhood feel with all the retail on the bottom of these buildings. This will do greatly to repair the fabric of the area and undo the damage dun by the current retail strip mall. It only makes sense that this area would be the next for large development as development sites are getting built on and closing in on all sides of Metro Plaza. Within a few years the Powerhouse Art District will be built out, the street wall along Washington Blvd is getting filled in, and with the large Historic Downtown Brownstone districts preserved to the west of Van Vorst Park, Harsimus Cove, and Hamilton Park, this is going to quickly become the only large multi block plot of land left to build tall Downtown. Great to see JC's planning improving and building for the future

Nexis if you are referring to Metro Plaza, the strip mall, then of course it is because its a strip mall. If you are referring to the historic Brownstone district west of Marin Blvd, you are dead wrong. Grove Street and Newark Avenue with all the new bars, restaurants, and small businesses that have opened and are in the process of opening, that area is extremely lively afterhours and on the weekends. That's where I go on my weekends and after work for happy hour and those places there are pretty packed. That business district is only expanding and will expand I predict into the PAD as more of these developments in there with retail at the base of these warehouses open up. I expect Provost Square to add some bars and restaurants to the area to compliment 6th Borough (former Powerhouse) and O'Hara's. Also with regards to Newark and Grove, once Newark Ave between Grove and Barrow/Erie streets becomes a permanent pedestrian blvd this summer, it will only add to the night life and liveliness of the area.
    No i'm referring to Newport , Exchange Place and outer edges of Downtown which are devoid of pedestrian activity aside from the transit areas.

I'd like to know why the architect of the Hudson Exchange West project took down their render and page for the project and forced YIMBY removing it.... lots of projects get spotlighted there potential and actual without such anal retentive
    claims of infringement. Maybe there is a redesign in the works, maybe the developers wanted to announce it first, whatever the case for a firm that seems so progressive minded it looks petty and corporate.

Exchange Place really needs 99 Hudson to be developed...unlike 77 Hudson which the tower is atop the seven story base the new proposed 99 Hudson twin tower development has the main tower at street level which makes a big difference in the aesthetic. With that and the PNC Bank building being converted to a hotel with restaurants, cafes, and a three story extension highlighted by an outdoor public observatory deck more life will be bought to the streetscape. Also needed eventually is something to go in a residential fashion at the other large unoccupied lot, 55 Hudson currently owned by Goldman Sachs. Since it's not even likely they will build that 30 story, 500 ft adjacent office tower next to 30 Hudson(Goldman Sachs Tower) they certainly don't need the lot at what would be 55 Hudson for office needs. Better off selling it or combining funding with another developer to build something residential/ hotel/ retail oriented there. That certainly would help raise the level at Exchange Place of activity after hours and on weekends.

Once they build out the whole Metro Plaza development along with neighboring 70-90 Columbus, Toll Brothers building out Provost Square, the eventual 38 story Silverman Building... street life will become markedly more vital and widespread spreading out from Marin Blvd to Newark Avenue especially with the enlarged public plaza. Give it time and the completion of so many projects around the area things can only go into a much more improved nightlife on the streetscape through the heart of downtown/ waterfront Jersey City.

Default Trump Phase II May Break Ground "In Days"

This would make 7 highrise towers under construction downtown, a number that rivals the number U/C at the peak of the last boom (of course there are another 670+ units between 18Park, Warren@York, and 148 First):
    1. URL Harborside
    2. M2
    3. 110 First
    4. Provost Square
    5. 70 Columbus
    6. Cast Iron Lofts II
    7. Trump II

If I remember correctly, at the peak in 2007 (July 2007), there were the following:
    1. 77 Hudson
    2. 70 Greene
    3. The Athena
    4. Trump I
    5. 50 Columbus
    6. Grove Pointe
    7. Shore Club North
    8. Gull's Cove

From The Wall Street Journal via The Real Deal:

Kushner, Trump teaming up on Jersey City development

447-unit rental to break ground in a few days
    May 12, 2014 09:00AM

PREVIOUS NEXT

From left: Donald Trump, the Trump Plaza Residences at 88 Morgan Street in Jersey City and Jared Kushner

Donald Trump’s Trump Organization and his son-in-law’s Kushner Companies are teaming up for their first big project, in conjunction with KABR Group of New Jersey.

The trio is planning a 447-unit rental apartment building in Jersey City, sources involved in the project told the Wall Street Journal. The Kushner-KABR partnership plans to put $38.5 million of its own equity into the deal, and the rest will be paid with a $90 million construction loan and $65M in mezzanine financing tied to a federal government visa program, the Journal reported. The details of the Trump Organization’s involvement were not immediately clear.
    The project could break ground in a few days, according to the paper.

“Jared is a very talented young man — it is going to be a great project,” Trump said in a statement to the Journal.

The development will be called Trump Bay Street and be located next to Trump Plaza Residences at 88 Morgan Street, a 55-story condominium completed six years ago by Dean Geibel, who engineered the project in a licensing deal with Trump. [WSJ]Julie Strickland

Tags: Donald Trump, Jared Kushner, Jersey City
    Last edited by West Hudson; May 13th, 2014 at 12:10 AM.

Been following this forum for a few years now and finally decided to join and contribute.

JC's rise over the past two decades is remarkable but I am honestly a little concerned it is relying too heavily on NYC. Please correct me if I am wrong but there hasn't been a new major office building constructed since the early 2000's and there aren't any developers even considering office space. In order to be a complete and well run city, JC will need a strong commercial base and with a fairly limited supply of development sites, it looks like the city might be putting all of its eggs in the downtown NY commuter's basket so to say. The PATH can only handle so many passengers during rush hour and is already pushing against that limit. With no other convenient job centers, all of these new rental units going up may begin to lose desirability and in the long run turn around and bring JC down with them.

Side Note: Not sure if the mods are aware but the only way to register now is through facebook, the register link that is displayed leads to a page which says new members are not longer able to join. This took me a few months to figure out. Also wish I could create a screen name but that doesn't seem possible through the facebook registration