Page 301 of 381 FirstFirst ... 201251291297298299300301302303304305311351 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,515 of 5705

Thread: Jersey City Rising

Thumbs up More on PS 20!

^Yeah the commute has evened out to where it use to be just people going from Jersey City to NYC on the PATH for work to now you have a large amount of people that come from NYC to JC for work. Also yes artists, bartenders, hospital workers, musicians, security, etc... need the PATH to get back and forth on weekend over nights and weeknight over nights. It's not just people drinking (myself included) in the City coming home at those hours; although they don't deserve to be held hostage either lol. Can't believe this was even conceived but glad Jersey City and Hudson County rattled the sabers enough for the PA to rethink this asinine idea.

=================

Quote Originally Posted by JCMAN320 View Post
    Officials break ground on $54M elementary school in Jersey City Heights

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
    Email the author | Follow on Twitter
    on January 09, 2015 at 8:07 PM, updated January 09, 2015 at 8:09 PM

JERSEY CITY — Officials broke ground today on a $54 million, state-funded elementary school on Summit and Laidlaw avenues, one school officials say will help to lessen the school overcrowding problem in the Heights.

The pre-k through 5 school is scheduled to open in time for the start of the 2016-17 school year. It will house 770 students in an area of the city that is expected to see significant population growth in the next few years.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2...l#incart_river
    Jersey City's new School 20 set to open in fall 2016, district says

By Matthew Speiser | The Jersey Journal
    Follow on Twitter
    on January 16, 2015 at 9:08 AM, updated January 16, 2015 at 9:33 AM

Construction continues on School 20 on the corner of Ocean and Cator in Jersey City, Wednesday, Jan. 14, 2015. Neil Barris | The Jersey Journal

JERSEY CITY – It has been roughly two and a half years since the state's Schools Development Authority broke ground on a new building for Jersey City's School 20.

A completion date is now within sight.

According to Jersey City Public Schools spokeswoman Maryann Dickar, the new $48.2 million School 20 facility is scheduled to open on the first day of school in the fall of 2016.

"We are very excited about the building of a new PS 20. Over the last two years, the District has made many improvements to facilities and is committed to continuing those efforts," Dickar said in a statement.

"This new building affirms those efforts and also reflects the hard work of many in the Jersey City Public Schools who have pushed hard to get a new school built," Dickar added.

Dickar said the new three-story, 108,800-square-foot facility on the corner of Ocean and Cator avenues will accommodate 698 kindergarten and elementary school students. The school will feature 30 classrooms, four special education classrooms, a technology lab, cafeteria, gymnasium, assembly room, and a media lab. Dickar said there will also be an outdoor playground accessible to the entire community.

According to Edye Maier, spokeswoman for the SDA, the school will also have a "one-to-one tablet- and laptop-to-student ratio", meaning that every student in the school will have access to a tablet or laptop.

Dickar said the school was originally set to be completed by fall 2015, but complications surrounding the groundbreaking pushed its completion date back one year. The construction is entirely funded by the SDA.

"I am very excited about the new School 20," said state Sen. Sandra B. Cunningham, who has advocated since the days of former Gov. John Corzine's administration to get the school built. "This project has been a long time coming. Many issues arose but I am happy we got it done and I am happy for the kids."

The new building will replace the aging School 20 facility on Danforth Avenue, which was built 115 years ago. Cunningham said the building is likely to be re-purposed when the new school opens.

However, this project isn't the only new school coming to Jersey City. Officials recently broke ground on a new state-funded, $54 million elementary school in the Heights section of the city. The school, which will be located on Summit and Laidlaw avenues, is expected to house 770 students in grades K through 5.

Meanwhile, there are 641 students who currently attend School 20.

The new School 20 will sit on the site of a former grocery store, a lot that had previously been tainted with chromium. A representative from the state Department of Environmental Protection said the lot has been contamination free since 2009.

"It will be a great addition to our schools and will enhance our students' experiences," said Dickar.

Follow Matthew Speiser on Twitter @Spyzguyz for more Hudson County news

Quote Originally Posted by JCMAN320 View Post
    Let me start by saying I have to commend the city planners of JC and Hudson County when the highway construction of the mid 20th century kicked into high gear because we were spared a great deal compared to what other cities had to deal with. Route 440 and 1&9 was snaked along the Western edge of Jersey City on what was just wetlands then when it got to Communipaw it followed the Morris Canal's old route through the wetlands turning East when it got to Bayonne through to the Eastern edge industrial edge of Bayonne sparring the Bayonne's Western waterfront and parks. Also didn't unnecessarily destroy any neighborhoods.

139, which is getting a make over, plunges under JC from the Skyway and towards the tunnel and didn't require the demolition of entire neighborhoods because it paralleled the existing Bergen Arches that were dug for the Erie Railraod.

Similarly I-78 comes in parallel to 440 then turns North over what was wetlands on JC's eastern wedged between existing freight tracks and our industrialized south Eastern shore. Then rises over what was an area of warehouses and laundries and filled in land between Bergen Hill and Downtown before turning towards Holland Tunnel. The Holland Tunnel approaches and egresses did the most damage tearing up the old Horseshoe neighborhood.

I am by no means a fan of elevated highways going through cities but what works in the Turnpike/ I-78 favor is that once it leaves the embankment portion of its route after Lafayette it begins to rise dramatically over that area between Downtown and JSQ to what seems an unnecessary height. The fact that it doesn't hang low over that area like other elevated interstates helps alleviate the overwhelming feeling of it. I think burying isn't even on anyone's mind given the myriad of problems that Seattle is having trying to bury their elevated roadway in soil that is fill material similar to that area of Jersey City when Mill Creek ran along that corridor. Hard to believe this was allowed to progess: http://grist.org/cities/seattles-unb...t-fustercluck/ It would be a great conversation to start though.

JC does plan to put some sort of greenbelt from York and Center Street along that corridor to Enos Jones Park, but without any plans to tear down the elevated I-78. Redevelopment zone list and map with areas: http://www.jerseycitynj.gov/data.aspx?id=14834

I don't think it will be or is a barrier to development moving inland since it is already happening along Newark Avenue from Downtown to JSQ and Five Corners, on Montgomery Street to McGinley Square and finally along Grand Street towards the Junction.
    I 78 goes high to clear the old Pennsylvania/ Penn Central , Erie Lackawanna and 139 ROWs. Im sure it also had something to do with providing a view of NYC similar to the R3/i495 helix.

Cool Here's 99 Hudson; All 950 Ft of Her!!!

950-foot tower, tallest in N.J., planned for Downtown Jersey City

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
    Email the author | Follow on Twitter
    on January 20, 2015 at 2:04 PM

A rendering of the Downtown Jersey City skyline that includes 99 Hudson St., a 95-story residential tower that will start going up this spring. Rendering courtesy of Jersey City.

JERSEY CITY – Developers are planning "the tallest building in New Jersey," a 95-story residential tower, on the site of a Hudson Street parking lot, city officials announced today.

China Overseas America is looking to build 760 condo units and about 18,000 square feet of commercial and retail space, plus a 7,000-square-foot park, at 99 Hudson St., according to Mayor Steve Fulop.

The tower would rise 950 feet. Construction is expected to begin late this spring, once it receives approvals from the city's planning board and council.

Jersey City is already home to some of the tallest buildings in the state, including the Goldman Sachs tower at 30 Hudson St., at 781 feet; 101 Hudson St., 548 feet; and Trump Plaza, 532 feet.

In a statement, Fulop called the proposed tower "a milestone moment for Jersey City."

"Our plan here is to continue building a world-class skyline," he said. "We couldn't be more excited to attract hundreds of millions of dollars of investment into the city."

The Planning Board meets tonight at 5:30 and is expected to approve a change to a redevelopment plan that would allow the proposed tower.

Terrence T. McDonald may be reached at tmcdonald@jjournal.com. Follow him on Twitter @terrencemcd. Find The Jersey Journal on Facebook.

Great news! I just hope that isn't the final rendering. ^

That tower is MASSIVE, but the render is quite hideous! I am so happy to see such a large building on the Jersey side, but I hope to see a better rendering of it, particularly of the streetscape before I make any critiques of the building.
    The previous image of the project looked a lot better when it was a two-tower, albeit shorter, development.

Image is from http://therealdeal.com/blog/2014/05/...n-jersey-city/

A close inspection of the proposed tower in this rendering from http://www.northjersey.com/news/busi...n-nj-1.1228350 shows a significant resemblence to the former Bear Stearns Headquarters in New York City (383 Madison Avenue)
    Last edited by towerpower123; January 20th, 2015 at 05:02 PM.

Great to see a massive development like this take place in JC. Condos as well! Can't wait to see it go vertical.

Looks a bit like the Bear Stearns building in NYC. It'd look much better if those fins on top were tapered, or were stepped. Even if the design is a bit dull, the height and design are preferable to the previous proposal. You get a vaguely Art-Deco nod. It'd make a nice pair with Goldman with a more streamlined crown.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

That building will have spectacular views.

Hopefully there will be some reworking but very good news! If it does indeed have a sizable affordable component as suggested in the linked article even better.. now let's get Goldman Sachs to develop the two lots they own(one directly beside 30 Hudson and the big lot across the street which will be marketed as 55 Hudson) as mixed residential/ hotel/ retail and we will have a living, breathing 24/7 neighborhood on that stretch of Hudson Boulevard. Hope they can take it up just another notch to 1,000 ft and become the first Jersey supertall as 95 stories for 950 ft seems a bit low.

Some good news from when I last posted.... went on a couple of other sites and links from someone who was there (the poster was someone with the username CIA who posts at Skyscraper Page and the link was posted to Skyscraper City's own forum on 99 Hudson) who indeed was able to confirm a few major things... tower will be 95 stories but the height will instead be 990 ft to the roof, but there still is the possibility to go over 1,000 ft with a mechanical addition, crown or something. I hope we get a crown that gets it over 1,000 ft... if you're going to be close to a supertall, why not go in and just get to 1,000 ft?! This also is going to take up overall 1 million square feet which is huge for a primarily residential tower. Finally, this preliminary design is only a model and isn't anything like the final design, which interestingly according to its footprint will have a boomerang kind of formation. The finished rendering though isn't yet fully developed yet.
    Last edited by citybooster; January 21st, 2015 at 04:16 AM.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

I wonder if people will be able to see Philly from up there?

^^^Too far! They are 94 miles apart! Philly is only visible from Kingda Ka and Zumanjaro at Six Flags, which is 40 miles away, and even then it is faint. From New York, the Atlantic Highlands are in the way.

Doesn't 950 feet sound short for a 95-story building, even residential?

I agree ^ For 95 stories, I feel like it should be around 1000-1075 feet

Actually in SkyscraperPage.com it was stated by someone attending the meeting of the Planning Board last night when the approval was made that the height was actually amended to 990 ft as I mentioned in my previous post. As well the design is NOT what the rendering portrays, that was just a vision model until they can fully work the details out on the final render but from what was mentioned the shape will be more of a boomerang, not nearly as bulky looking as the first render.

Quote Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
    Actually in SkyscraperPage.com it was stated by someone attending the meeting of the Planning Board last night when the approval was made that the height was actually amended to 990 ft as I mentioned in my previous post. As well the design is NOT what the rendering portrays, that was just a vision model until they can fully work the details out on the final render but from what was mentioned the shape will be more of a boomerang, not nearly as bulky looking as the first render.
    Yeah I heard the same thing Citybooster. The planning board approved this tower going forward, which is great news, now it goes up for its first reading to the city council. This is great for Jersey City I just wish they would of gone the extra 10 ft for 1,000ft! With this breaking ground in June, you will have at the same time URL, Trump II, and Journal Squared all soaring into the sky. Its amazing to see as well that we have our own skyscraper race happening here. URL, which will be 713 Ft, announced it would be the tallest residential building in NJ, then KRE, JSQ'd, says it will be the tallest residential building in NJ, now this building at 990 Ft will be the tallest BUILDING in NJ. Very exciting times for Jersey City indeed!!!!
    Last edited by JCMAN320; January 22nd, 2015 at 01:39 PM.