Page 346 of 377 FirstFirst ... 246296336342343344345346347348349350356 ... LastLast
Results 5,176 to 5,190 of 5646

Thread: Jersey City Rising

Thumbs up Follow Up to Above Posts

Plans for 3 major new Journal Square towers move forward

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
    Email the author | Follow on Twitter
    on August 17, 2016 at 9:48 AM, updated August 17, 2016 at 10:03 AM

Renderings show new plans for two high-rises planned for a lot adjacent to the Journal Square PATH hub. Courtesy of Woods Bagot
    Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal

JERSEY CITY — Donald Trump's son-in-law is about to put his stamp on Journal Square.

Jared Kushner and KABR Group are proceeding with plans to build three residential towers on two lots near the Journal Square PATH hub, towers that will include a total of 2,466 luxury residential units, 103,784 square feet of retail space and 224,539 square feet of offices.

The plans, given unanimous approval by the Planning Board last night, include a radical transformation of the old headquarters of The Jersey Journal into an open-air retail market and public plaza fronting a 72-story tower.

Chris Langston, chair of the planning board, hailed both projects, calling the one for 30 Journal Square — the old home of The Jersey Journal — "absolutely brilliant."

"We usually try and fit a building into the neighborhood. This is just raising the bar for the entire neighborhood that is hopefully going to be the standard in Journal Square from now on," Langston said. "The future looks bright up there."

The two projects given approval last night, One Journal Square and 30 Journal Square, are separated by Sip Avenue, though city planner Jeff Wenger said the city is in talks to redesign Sip Avenue to create a bridge between the two planned mixed-use developments.

One Journal Square was approved by city planners last year as a one-tower, 56-story project housing 744 units on a 10-story base that included room for a second tower developers intended to build in the future. The plans have been revised to include two towers to be built simultaneously, one 56 stories and the other 79, both on one 10-story base that will include parking, retail and office space. The two towers, to be located just south of the PATH hub, will house a total of 1,725 residential units and 910 parking spaces in an interior parking garage.

30 Journal Square will include 741 units and 436 parking spaces in a 72-story tower built on the rear portion of the old Jersey Journal building. The faηade of the four-story building that faces Sip Avenue will remain, as will some interior columns, to create an open-air market that will lead from Sip Avenue to a public plaza in front of the new tower. The iconic Jersey Journal sign that sits atop the building will remain (a redevelopment plan amended in February by the council requires developers keep it).

Eugene Paolino, attorney for the developers, said the plan for the market "adds a real jolt to Journal Square.

"There is no other place like this in Jersey City," Paolino said.

The three towers are the latest projects in the residential building boom that has overtaken the heart of Jersey City. Construction on the first tower of the Journal Squared project — three towers on the northern side of the PATH hub that will house 1,838 luxury apartments — is nearly complete.

This isn't the first time a developer has promised to build on the lot now set for One Journal Square, which the planning board chair noted when he voted to approve the newest plans.

"It feels like every year or so we vote on this same project over and over again," he said.

Adam Altman, of KABR Group, said he's "thrilled" by the positive feedback from the planning board.

"We look forward to being a catalyst for positive change in Journal Square and Jersey City," Altman said.

The planning board passed both plans unanimously, but there were some naysayers. Nihal Puri, 62, lives on High Street, a two-block road around the corner from the planned development. Puri, who has lived in the area for three decades, told The Jersey Journal city planners are proceeding too quickly with real-estate development, saying the thousands of new units will aggravate infrastructure and parking issues.

Puri said residents sit in their cars for an hour waiting for parking spaces to open up, a problem he believes will get worse with the new towers, which include far fewer parking spots than units. The city's current infrastructure, he added, isn't built to handle the current capacity, let alone thousands of new residents running showers and flushing toilets.

"When it rains, you can see the manholes come up," he said.

The developers' engineers said last night that the towers, because they will be so close to the PATH hub, will attract people who do not intend to use cars.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2...rt_2box_hudson

I love it!!!! Also better they are doing the two tower together.

When is groundbreaking?

Quote Originally Posted by msands7 View Post

When is groundbreaking?
    I'm not sure. This was for final approval so hopefully soon; they got an abatement and more financial backing recently. I agree I'm happy to hear that the two towers will be constructed simultaneously. KABR has already started on their smaller project just to the south in McGinley Square. The buildings they acquired were just recently demoed. I'm hoping this indicates they are ready to move forward on this project as well as I feel this will be the project that will really set JSQ off given its location and high visibility in the middle of the square.

In regards to the density and basically no height limit at the Square, the city planners have said that they are going for a "Tokyo feel" with density around JSQ. They really want a nice cluster of skyscrapers to create that hyper density in the center of the city and I think the infrastructure there, with the right improvements, will make that possible.

Quote Originally Posted by msands7 View Post

When is groundbreaking?
    There is no groundbreaking date and there is no construction financing (they only got a mortgage refinance). This is at least the 5th time that this plot of land has gone before the planning board with new renderings. Money talks, bullshit walks. I won't beliebe *anything* is getting built here until we see construction financing and a shovel in the ground. Until then even reading these articles is a waste of time and mindspace.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
    There is no groundbreaking date and there is no construction financing (they only got a mortgage refinance). This is at least the 5th time that this plot of land has gone before the planning board with new renderings. Money talks, bullshit walks. I won't beliebe *anything* is getting built here until we see construction financing and a shovel in the ground. Until then even reading these articles is a waste of time and mindspace.
    Correct it was mortgage financing. I know I grow more and more frustrated seeing that vacant lot and yet development and businesses sprouting up all around it. Even the planning board chair has grown frustrated with this plan getting revised over and over with no construction activity. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this project gets going.

Projects of this size don't just happen overnight. They finally have a solid developer and a viable plan, hence the article. This is a huge, huge deal for JC.

Also, rental projects never have construction financing or groundbreaking dates prior to zoning approval. That would be completely impossible.

^Aschwarz I agree. KABR is a solid developer and I'm hoping with this final site plan approval that they will begin to get going on a ground breaking date. This project is going to transform JSQ rapidly!

The "kiss n ride" is closing to begin the reconstruction of the Magnolia Ave. Plaza as part of JS2.

=-=-=-=-=

Journal Square PATH 'kiss n ride' to close for rest of 2016

By The Jersey Journal
    on August 19, 2016 at 7:00 AM, updated August 19, 2016 at 8:22 AM

The Journal Square PATH "kiss n ride" dropoff zone on Summit Avenue will be closed because of construction starting tomorrow at 7 a.m. and lasting for the rest of the year.

Workers will redo the area to create a new access point and open space.

A no-parking zone on Summit Avenue between Pavonia and Magnolia avenues will be available for PATH passenger pickups and dropoffs.

For additional traffic alerts and advisories, travelers are encouraged to sign up for Port Authority alerts at the agency's website or follow the agency on Twitter @PANYNJ.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/inde...rt_river_index

So NJT wasn't giving out free kisses?

Default Ellipse

Ellipse construction photo from earlier this evening (no equipment at 75 Park Lane South but perhaps construction will start there within the next month or so as the foundation design is finalized):

Quote Originally Posted by ASchwarz View Post
    Projects of this size don't just happen overnight. They finally have a solid developer and a viable plan, hence the article. This is a huge, huge deal for JC.
    I don't know what your definition of "overnight" is, but this site has been a hole in the ground for almost TEN YEARS. That's over 3,500 nights. KABR and Kushner have owned the site for almost two years and have made no progress beyond a bunch of worthless renderings (over 600 nights, but who's counting?).

Quote Originally Posted by ASchwarz View Post
    Also, rental projects never have construction financing or groundbreaking dates prior to zoning approval. That would be completely impossible.
    Uhh....this site has already gotten zoning approval FIVE TIMES. They just keep fiddling with the plans, going back before the zoning board, and doing nothing on the financing/construction front. Even if we ignore the previous developer's approved plans, this is KABR/Kushner's second go-round at the zoning board. They got approval for a slightly different plan in November of last year.

So no, it wouldn't be completely impossible for them to have gotten financing/construction already.

If anything, the multiple visits to the zoning board with new renderings/plans is a BAD sign, because it indicates that the previous plans were unable to attract financing. So the developers rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic hoping it'll make the plan more enticing. I guess fifth time's the charm?

For what it's worth, I live two blocks from this project, so I'm desperate to see this hole plugged. But more than anything I'm angry at the idiots in the city government who demolished this entire block of stores and historic buildings to create a barren urban tundra for the past decade.
    Last edited by Hamilton; August 23rd, 2016 at 10:10 PM.

I don't know what your definition of "overnight" is, but this site has been a hole in the ground for almost TEN YEARS. That's over 3,500 nights. KABR and Kushner have owned the site for almost two years and have made no progress beyond a bunch of worthless renderings (over 600 nights, but who's counting?).
    It's pretty clear you aren't involved in commercial real estate.

Two years is a very short time for a big project to go live. Try 5-10 years. The fact that Kushner has owned this project for less than two years, and hasn't broken ground yet, is hardly concerning. If anything, it would be more concerning if he did break ground before getting all ducks in a row, like all responsible developers.

Uhh....this site has already gotten zoning approval FIVE TIMES. They just keep fiddling with the plans, going back before the zoning board, and doing nothing on the financing/construction front. Even if we ignore the previous developer's approved plans, this is KABR/Kushner's second go-round at the zoning board. They got approval for a slightly different plan in November of last year.
    I don't care if it had previous zoning approval 5,000 times. Has nothing to do with anything, presently.

If you want to know why there were previous zoning approvals, it's because the sites were being marketed as development sites, and previous owners had different ideas on how to best market the sites. They wanted to cash out though a sale, and let an experienced developer build.

So no, it wouldn't be completely impossible for them to have gotten financing/construction already.
    Yes, actually it would. Financing is dependent on zoning approval. There was no zoning approval until now, hence financing would be impossible prior to now.

If anything, the multiple visits to the zoning board with new renderings/plans is a BAD sign,
    There is no such thing. You made this up. This is Kushner's first detailed plan before the zoning board. Previous plans weren't under Kushner.

Mr. Amazing strikes again. Hamilton had valid points. You are what's wrong with this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by section08 View Post
    Mr. Amazing strikes again. Hamilton had valid points. You are what's wrong with this forum.
    Who is "Mr. Amazing" and what "valid points" are you referring to?

The forum has declined because people got frustrated/were chased out, largely because of posts not unlike the ones we're discussing. Hard to have a forum when people are just posting nonsense (though kudos to those who ignore the negativity and post worthy development updates).

Thumbs up More Development for Lafayette

So I'm a moron and Aschwarz is "what is wrong with this forum". The hate is strong with Section08.

In other more important news 100 Monitor Street is on track to break ground early 2017 in Lafayette and will fill giant hole in the urban environment in that corner of Lafayette.

=-=-=-=

Jersey City OKs plan for 308-unit building outside Liberty State Park

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
    Email the author | Follow on Twitter
    on August 18, 2016 at 12:28 PM, updated August 18, 2016 at 5:05 PM

A rendering of 100 Monitor St., a new residential building given approval by Jersey City's planning board on Aug. 16, 2016. (Courtesy of Ironstate)

JERSEY CITY — A five-story residential building housing 308 rental units on a lot outside Liberty State Park was given unanimous approval by the Planning Board Tuesday night.

100 Monitor St., which will also house 2,980 square feet of commercial space on its ground floor as well as 8,000 square feet of offices, will be a "pinnacle project" for the Lafayette neighborhood, Charles J. Harrington, the developer's attorney, told planning officials.

"It will really be a transformation of the site," Harrington said.

Lafayette is a neighborhood that has only recently started attracting the kind of dense and mixed-use developments going up Downtown and in Journal Square. The 83-unit Baker Building opened on nearby Suydam Avenue in April, while three six-story buildings with a total of 167 units are planned for Whiton Street. An eight-story building with 104 residential units and 3,000 square feet of ground-floor retail is slated for a spot just north of 100 Monitor St.

The Monitor Street site is now a vacant lot directly across the street from the Liberty State Park light rail station. The project will include 85 parking spots in an interior garage and an extension of Maple Street from Monitor Street to Garabrant Street. The units will all be market-rate rentals. The office space will be the new home for the Jersey City Redevelopment Agency, which currently rents an office on York Street.

"It will definitely improve the neighborhood," said Ahmed Amin, 32, who lives nearby with his wife, Wendy Flores. Amin added that he's concerned about that the number of parking spaces planned for the development is far fewer than the number of units. The couple also said they worry about more traffic congestion on local streets.

Harrington said the developers, Ironstate Development and Landmark Developers, believe 100 Monitor St., because it's located across from the light rail station, will attract people who don't own cars, an argument that planners behind three massive towers proposed for Journal Square also made during Tuesday's meeting.

Harrington noted that the redevelopment zone the building will be located in does not have a minimum parking requirement — the zone allows the developer to provide zero parking spaces, he said.

Construction on 100 Monitor St. is expected to begin early next year.

Terrence T. McDonald may be reached at tmcdonald@jjournal.com. Follow him on Twitter @terrencemcd. Find The Jersey Journal on Facebook.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2...rty_state.html

Default 1JS - Jersey City's New Pulse Of Innovation

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender_1.jpg 
Views:	2636 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	18266   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	2646 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	18265   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender_2.jpg 
Views:	2618 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	18267   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender_3.jpg 
Views:	2632 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	18268   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender 4.jpg 
Views:	3082 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	18269