Page 4 of 377 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Jersey City Rising

Default Jersey City Rising

One can insult (which you have just done - thereby contradicting yourself) at all ages when appropriate. And you can be as delusional as you want about the great state of New Jersey, you're only fooling yourself. If NJ didn't exist, NYC would import workers and services from other places as it does anyway. There is nothing unique about NJ to depend upon. It also isn't as powerful as NYC (not just any city) and would be so much less without it. Once more, they are not equals. Get over it.

My intent wasn't to convince arrogant close-minded people of anything, I'm just trying to inform open-minded, people who aren't self-centered of the importance of their neighbors. And shine some light on a place which is often forgotton and even insulted despite its greatness and importance to NYC.

If you really want to be this plainly blind and think that New Jersey's proximity, workers, and transportation, has nothing to do with New York's success, then go ahead and think that.

Don't be a baby. NJ was getting its due respect in this thread and on this forum until you came and said, "New York City dare I say it, SHOULD technically be considered part of NJ". It still gets the respect it deserves, just not beyond its actual status. NYC owes to NJ due to their proximity and the fact that no city is autonomous. That's about it.

(Edited by Christian Wieland at 4:44 pm on Jan. 25, 2003)

I'm not talking about on this board, I'm talking about in general, I KNOW that most of the people on this board aren't arrogant, those are the people I was talking to. I'm not the one trying to turn this into some kind arguement.

Forum Veteran

Jersey City's first major modern office buildings began to rise in the 70's and late 80's. In a best skyline (in the world) poll in 2000[http://www.library.tudelft.nl/~egram/skylines_old.htm] , we (Jersey City) were ranked # 80 something. 2 years later in 2002 [http://www.library.tudelft.nl/~egram/skylines.htm] , we rose to #69. We rose almost 20 ranks in 2 years, and we've only had a skyline since the 70's.

(In case your wondering YES, New York City was #1 by large number of votes.)
    Hong Kong, second; Chicago, third; Tokyo, fourth; Shanghai, fifth...

Heh, Pyongyang (?) ranks 75th. *It wasn't even on the list last poll. *Aside from the Ryugyong, the Juche Tower, perhaps the Koryo Hotel and the TV mast, there aren't many distinguishing characteristics of its skyline—or lack therof.

Caracas should have been higher; it's only at 78th.

Riyadh (90th) definitely should have been higher. *Taipei (54) should have been a bit lower.

And why, pray tell, was Fort Worth even on the list?

I went to the Mack- Cali website, and they have some rough CG representations of upcoming Harborside Financial Center Buildings.

http://www.mack-cali.com/development...rborside.phtml

And in the city polls, How do you vote for cities?

why are people trashing my city im 16 and i love it here and lived here all my life an im heavily into the redevelopment of the city. Jersey City deserves every right to build. Were trying to come into our own as a major city. i dont understand why people cant accept that. jersey city has played a major role in the history of this area and the economic success. we just want to be a succesful city

(Edited by JCMAN320 at 10:19 pm on May 13, 2003)

Forum Veteran

No one's trashing Jersey City, JCMAN. *A lot of us like it a lot; it's just that some of us New Yorkers like to make fun of NJ in general

I understand. Thanks tloz for responding, some of my friends live in brooklyn and one friend on the upper westside and staten island. They wale on me every time I see them beacause Im from Jersey
    (Edited by JCMAN320 at 9:13 pm on May 14, 2003)

(Edited by JCMAN320 at 9:19 pm on May 14, 2003)

(Edited by JCMAN320 at 9:19 pm on May 14, 2003)

Forum Veteran

An 800-foot, 59-story tower is in the pipeline for the Harborside Financial Project and has since been approved, according to ss.com.

And a 637-foot, 37-story office tower is proposed for 90 Hudson Street.

There's also something here about a 900-foot, 52-story office tower on the waterfront that's been on-hold for as long as I can remember. *"American Financial Exchange Tower?"

Finally, there's HarborSpire, a two-tower residential project with a 55-story building and a 50-story one.

I was actually doing some work in Jersey City yesterdayand got a first hand look at the huge amount of new residential and office buildings under construction.

The Hudson-Bergen light rail on Essex Street. *

The light rail system is a nice development that benefits the whole metro area. One more, a little up the river:

(Edited by Christian Wieland at 5:48 pm on June 25, 2003)

Hotel, apartment building to rise east of Grove St. PATH

Friday, June 27, 2003

By Maria Zingaro Conte
    Journal correspondent

The area around the Grove Street PATH station is one step closer to a major change with the Jersey City Planning Board's approval of a preliminary site plan for a new 34-story hotel and apartment building.

Located just opposite the PATH at Newark Avenue and Marin Boulevard, the building is to include a 170-room hotel, 18,000 square feet of retail space, 525 apartments and a 577-car parking garage.

The City Council gave its approval to the project in March as part of the redevelopment plan for the area. The project has also received strong support from the Downtown Special Improvement District, the area's business association.

This week's proceedings drew no reaction from the several area residents who came to the meeting Tuesday night to hear the application, and the plan was passed unanimously with few comments from the board.

Groundbreaking for the new building is planned for next spring, according to Jeffrey Persky, one of the principals of developer Jamm Realty Corp., a subsidiary of the Bridgewater-based firm Schenkman/Kushner. Construction is expected to take about 18 months.

The development will mean a slight reorientation of Newark Avenue east of Grove Street, according to landscape architect Thomas Bauer of Melillo & Bauer Associates in Point Pleasant Beach. Following construction, travel on that portion of the street will be limited to buses and at some times the road will be closed to traffic and serve instead as a pedestrian walkway, Bauer said.

Approval of the site plan required the board's OK for Jamm Realty to consolidate 31 properties into one large parcel. All told the site - currently home to several parking lots, low-rise buildings and tracts of undeveloped land - will measure nearly 70,000 square feet.

The footprint of the new building will be shaped like a bent T. At the intersection of the two arms will be "the real heart" of the structure: a semicircular drop-off area and driveway facing Christopher Columbus Drive, said architect Peter DeWitt of DeWitt Tishman in Manhattan. Just off of this plaza will be the entrances to two mirroring lobbies, one each for the residential and hotel portions of the building.

Additionally, the driveway will lead into the parking garage situated along Morgan Street on the structure's north side. Much of the building's remaining street level space will be occupied by the retail stores.

The building will step up gradually from five stories on its west side to the full 34 stories on the east, DeWitt said. The structure will also narrow as it rises in a design meant to ease the transition between Jamm's building and others in the neighborhood, particularly the three-story, 19th-century building at the corner of Grove and Newark.

The neighboring structure provided other design cues, too.

"It will be essentially a red brick building with bands of light buff and charcoal gray," DeWitt said of the hotel/apartment building. "We use the different colors to break the facade up so that it reduces its apparent size."

Inside, the residential part of the structure will contain a mix of one-and two-bedroom rental units, while the hotel will offer a recreational facility, including a swimming pool.

South of Newark Avenue, surrounding the PATH station, will be a small paved park. Bounded by low walls, it will contain a kiosk, flowering trees and movable outdoor furniture.

"The reason we liked it paved in the most part is because of the great numbers of people who will frequent this place," Bauer said. "We've created a palette, if you will, that will provide a flexibility in the landscape for the neighborhood to energize this how they see fit."

Landscaping will also be used to camouflage the rooftop of the six-story parking garage, Bauer said.

Approval of the final site plan is expected once several conditions set by Planning Department staffers - such as providing detailed designs for the kiosk and guaranteeing storage space for maintenance equipment - are met. West side

In other business, the board voted 7-0 to approve a final site plan for the construction of 14 three-family houses at Sip, Emerson and Logan avenues on the city's west side, just north of Holy Name Cemetery.

The development will also include 42 parking spaces. Developer Charles Groeschke of CLG Associates in Jersey City assured worried area residents that the buildings are not meant to be low-income housing. Instead, he said, they would be sold as luxury housing at fair market rate, estimated at about $400,000 each.

"We are taking a chance in this endeavor to improve the neighborhood and create a new cornerstone," he said.

You know, the same situation exists in the Washington/Baltimore Metropolitan area, previously my residence. It is now over 7million people 4th in the nation (compared to NYC metro's 21 million, including you guessed it NJ) and the exact same rivalries exist. Washington, with its governmental / international / transient style loves to use Baltimore as its playground but doesn’t take it seriously. Baltimore on the other hand with its Industrial / Provincial / Blue Collar background thinks DC looks down on them. Washingtonians love to go to Baltimore Oriole games but hate the Ravens. Baltimoreans blame Washington for steeling their Basketball team. They view Washington as a leech of Maryland funds and work force. High Tec Companied abound in DC, and Baltimore hates that they have a hard time luring them. 15% of the work force lives in one city and works in the other (45 miles apart). This "my place is better that your place is so weak" one can not see the forest for the trees. I love NYC, NJ, Jersey City, LIC you name it. Its time to realize all the things around