Page 52 of 377 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152 ... LastLast

Thread: Jersey City Rising

I think this pretty much marks the official beginning of the Jersey City office tower boom!

Who is messing with JC, when it comes to the boom in it's downtown??? Ahh, that's what I thought.

Default Increase to proposed tower approved by city

Increase to proposed tower approved by city

Thursday, August 17, 2006By JARRETT RENSHAW
    JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Global financial giant Goldman Sachs received city approval yesterday to increase the size of a proposed office tower on the Jersey City waterfront from 185 feet to 500 feet, but plans to build a public atrium in the new facility were scrapped.

The changes were included in amendments to the Colgate Redevelopment plan unanimously approved by the Jersey City City Council yesterday.
    Under the old redevelopment plan, Goldman Sachs promised to build a curved, glass roof public atrium connecting the Hudson Walkway with Hudson Street.

The amended plan now calls for an open-air plaza, which city officials say will provide better views of the Manhattan skyline. The plaza will feature a number of retail shops.

In addition, the city amended the redevelopment plan to allow for a 500-foot building at 50 Hudson St.

Behind the scenes, several city officials raised questions about the intentions of Goldman Sachs.

The company's current Jersey City building - the state's tallest with a capacity for about 5,000 employees - is less than half full. And of the company's 2,140 employees, only 149 live in Jersey City, according to city records.

"Goldman has been a great neighbor, but I just hope that they plan to build it," Downtown Councilman Steve Fulop said.

Goldman Sachs officials said they plan to have their current building "two-thirds" full by next year.

© 2006 The Jersey Journal © 2006 NJ.com All Rights Reserved.
    Last edited by macmini; August 17th, 2006 at 11:55 AM.

Default I agree with JCMAN about hoboken

I live in downtown Jersey City and I am familiar with and like Hoboken. But I can see where Hoboken has lost something. It used to have grit an attitude and interesting people living there, now there is a uniform populous and even more homogenous buildings being built.

As a JC resident I can see the same bad decisions being made by our politicians we need to enforce good zoning and save the powerhouse arts district, I want to see more interesting people move in not less. Don't get me wrong Hoboken is a nice enough place with a much better main drag than JC but it is not a real city. Even though piano man mentions density, density does not make a city. The fact that Jersey City is a center of regional employment, has huge economic output, and a large population makes it a city a first class one at that.

If you look at Hoboken, where are the jobs where is the employment, it not there. The residents of Hoboken are dependent largely on NYC and JC to provide them with what is missing in their city. Also the road system in Hoboken sucks, Hoboken is a drain on Jersey city depending on our medical center, fire department and road system. Everything is peachy in Hoboken as long as Jersey city keeps it running.

Also it is my opinion that the housing stock, and many of the streets in Jersey City are much nicer than what is available in Hoboken. Where I live you find 1850's brownstones beautifully renovated on tree lined streets. The thing that people have against JC is the presence of poor people and people with brown skin, both things that do not bother me. Don't teachers, police officers, and the general people who keep the economy moving deserve a nice place to live, I don't see a problem here. Sure there still are unsavory types but it is improving every day.

So while I appreciate Hoboken and think it is very nice, I don't think we need a Jersey city-Hoboken war. Both are great places, very nice almost one and the same given the proximity, they both have problems just different ones. The more interesting battle is the Secacus/Weehawk/Hobo/JC combo vs. brooklyn or Queens. I honestly think that besides public transport NJ is much nicer.

Jersey I had taken time to think of a intellegent repsonse to Pianoman and you covered what I was going to say perfectly. Thank you.

The Cliffs Condo's now in progress

6 months ago

Now

Last edited by macmini; August 19th, 2006 at 07:13 PM.

What city is that? Englewood Cliff?

Quote Originally Posted by TeddyJ View Post
    What city is that? Englewood Cliff?
    It's Jersey City

PORT AUTHORITY, AREA OFFICIALS OPEN KEY SECTION OF HUDSON RIVER WATERFRONT WALKWAY AND PARK IN JERSEY CITY

Date: August 15, 2006
    Press Release Number: 55-2006

Port Authority Chairman Anthony R. Coscia today joined New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection Commissioner Lisa Jackson, Hudson County Executive Thomas DeGise, Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy and other area officials at the opening of a new section of the Hudson River Waterfront Walkway and park.

This completed section of the walkway, which was constructed by the Port Authority, allows for future sections to be built that will connect Jersey City’s Newport waterfront community to Hoboken and beyond. Construction began in January and was completed on an accelerated schedule. The project was originally scheduled for completion in 2007. The Port Authority also constructed a small park connected to the walkway.

“The Port Authority advanced this project on an accelerated schedule because its importance to Hudson County was clear,” said Port Authority Chairman Coscia. “We are always happy to partner with NJDEP and Hudson County to invest in projects that increase open space and improve quality of life in this community.”

“This event marks the completion of yet another link in the Hudson Waterfront Walkway and another step toward completing a walkway that will allow our residents to stroll the length of the Hudson River from North Bergen to Bayonne,” said County Executive DeGise. “Thanks to the PA, NJDEP, and the City of Jersey City for all their support in this effort.”

"With about 11 miles complete, the Hudson River Waterfront Walkway continues to reshape the revitalization of Jersey City's waterfront into a vibrant business community and recreational center for residents and visitors alike," said Mayor Healy.

The completed section of the walkway is 300 feet long and 30 feet wide, landscaped with a connecting quarter-acre park. The total cost for the project was $2 million, which includes costs for various security measures as the walkway and park are adjacent to the Port Authority’s Holland Tunnel ventilation buildings. The City of Jersey City will manage and operate the park. Crisdel Group Inc., of South Plainfield, was the construction contractor for the project.

Additionally, the Port Authority has committed $2.75 million to fund additional sections of the Hudson River Waterfront Walkway in the vicinity of Exchange Place. The Department of Environmental Protection, the lead agency, will manage the construction of those sections.

The full Hudson River Waterfront Walkway project is an 18.5-mile-long public waterfront corridor through nine municipalities from the George Washington Bridge to the Bayonne Bridge.

macmini, that series of photos you posted is appalling. Why don't they just abandon all pretense of preservation and knock down those pitiful remnants?

Ablarc because here in Jersey City we like to have character, we preserve historic structures and appreciate them to keep the history of our great city alive.

Quote Originally Posted by JCMAN320 View Post
    Ablarc because here in Jersey City we like to have character, we preserve historic structures and appreciate them to keep the history of our great city alive.
    JCMAN, that's preposterous! That comical sham doesn't represent either preservation or character.

Hope that's not representative of JC, but I'm afraid it is. It's certainly nothing to be proud of.

JCMAN, do you not read the Fprum's other sections? I would have expected you to acquire some sophistication from this board --enough at least to recognize the ludicrous, even when it rears its head in Jersey City.

You are too easily satisfied, my friend. You'll be much more useful to Jersey City if you raise your standards. You can do that by paying more attention to Wired New York (and, I think, a little less to your teachers).

Only the Chamber of Commerce believes that undiscriminating boosterism is good for a place. If you want to be of help to your hometown in the future, you'll need to learn discrimination. Even Jersey City has lousy projects. And mindless boosterism helps explain why there are so many.

Last edited by ablarc; August 20th, 2006 at 04:36 PM.

If by sophistication you mean to become pompus and elitist, thx but I think I'll pass. If you mean by being well cultured and knowledgeable, well I think while of course not done learning and traveling at my young age of 20, I like to think that I'am very mature and intellgent for my age. You are the one acting like a child jumping on my comment and being conscending by insulting me and my city acting like you know everything. I'm sorry "my friend" but that doesn't look to sophisticated to me.

We have beaututiful perserved 18th, mid 19th, and turn of the century homes and structures well preserved here in Jersey City. You don't know thing about Jersey City or even respect it for that matter. Remember Ablarc I have lived here all my life, born and raised so my knowledge of the history of this city is far superior to yours. JC does not have lousy projects. It seems that is your opinion, and I respect that however miss guided it maybe, but it is not fact and that is one thing you have to remember. Also it is not the world according to Ablarc. You have a very narrowminded view of the world "my friend" and that is sad. You should be more open minded and apprecative and on top of that respectful. Why do I have to do what you say and what makes what you say correct. Just beacuse you say it? I think not Also whos to say that NY is perfect and you guys have done everything building project correct. Give me a break you guys are far from it.

Again please don't condescend me or insult me, my intellgence, my city, and my professors for that matter beacuse I won't stand for it!!
    Last edited by JCMAN320; August 20th, 2006 at 04:56 PM.

The way of a fool is right in his own eyes: but he that hearkeneth unto counsel is wise.

---Proverbs 12:15

Again thinking you are always right. I guess some things never change no matter how sophisticated you THINK you are, your arrogance overrides it.
    Last edited by JCMAN320; August 20th, 2006 at 05:03 PM.