Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Guns for Christmas!

  1. #1

    Default Guns for Christmas!

    For a European the thought of giving or receiving a gun for Christmas is totally abhorrent. Yes I know the US Constitution allows such madness but hey it's 2016 for heaven's sake!

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ank-rifle.html

  2. #2

    Default

    Background checks for all gun purchases - what's so terrible about that????? Why is the US so obsessed about guns? For a civilised country in the 21st century why is there this incredible reluctance to face up to, what to the rest of the world, is obviously an important issue? How many more massacres will it take?
    As Dylan said: 'the answer is blowing in the wind'.

  3. #3

    Default

    This country also has an obsession with God.

    But if there is a god, then God is an evil piece of shit who allows horrible things to happen.

    So either God does not exist or God is a sick masochistic mother****er who is worthy of destruction and not praise.

  4. #4

    Default

    God & Guns what a deadly combination!!

  5. #5

    Default

    Think about it Wobby. One person has a gun he wants to sell. Another person has cash. How do you prevent them from doing the transaction? Yeah, if the new owner gets caught with the gun down the line they could go after the original owner. But he could just report it lost of stolen at some point after the sale.

    Dealers are much easier to impose rules on, because they have an ongoing business to maintain. Individuals, not so much.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wobert Wedford View Post
    Background checks for all gun purchases - what's so terrible about that????? Why is the US so obsessed about guns? For a civilised country in the 21st century why is there this incredible reluctance to face up to, what to the rest of the world, is obviously an important issue? How many more massacres will it take?
    As Dylan said: 'the answer is blowing in the wind'.

  6. #6

    Default

    I appreciate the issue is a complex one BBMW but that shouldn't prevent people seeking a solution, even an imperfect one, anything is better than the status quo.
    Check the background of all gun owners, register what guns they have and that they are kept securely. Thefts should be reported immediately and the registered gun owner should be held responsible. If it's later found out that he sold a gun to an undesirable then the full weight of the law should fall on him and severe sanctions should follow.

    Why do people need semi-automatic rifles, machine guns, tank busters, etc etc? I just can't get to grips with it but I guess that's because of my British perspective on the issue.

  7. #7

    Default

    People didn't think about the consequences when the banned drugs, and when they banned alcohol back in the '20's. The results have been much worse than if they hadn't even tried. These things need to be thought out many more steps down the line than just thinking "oh, this is bad, we have to ban it!"

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
    People didn't think about the consequences when the banned drugs, and when they banned alcohol back in the '20's. The results have been much worse than if they hadn't even tried. These things need to be thought out many more steps down the line than just thinking "oh, this is bad, we have to ban it!"
    You've only to look at other the number of gun murders in other civilised countries to realise that the US is drastically out of step. Anyway 'banning' isn't being suggested, proper background checks are - a sensible and proportionate response in my humble opinion.

  9. #9

    Default

    The US barely makes into the top 20 countries in terms of homicides by gun (two thirds of gun related deaths are suicide). For a country with as many guns available and so many cultural issues (gang wars, war on drugs, illegal immigration et al.), ranking where the US does is not all that remarkable in my opinion.

    The fact that most people don't understand, and definitely foreigners raised under different laws (I am one but have spent my adult life in the US), is that citizens of this country are born with the inalienable RIGHT to have guns.

    Now, was that written at a time when the founders were afraid of invasion? Sure. Is it likely that the 2nd amendment is out of date? That it should not apply to automatic weapons? To armor piercing rounds? Maybe.

    However, the 2nd amendment exists, good or bad. And changing it will be an utterly monumental task, if not impossible. They can license and background check the crap out of everyone but the bottom line is that anyone who wishes to procure a gun to commit an act of murder can and will always be able to do so.

    I do not own a gun in this country but I imagine I could have one in my possession within a few hours. The same could be said of a bag of heroin. There will always be a black market or an underground source for everything.

    While death by car accident outranks homicide by gun by about 4 to 1 it is very hard for me to take this gun control argument seriously. There are VASTLY more important issues to discuss.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IrishInNYC View Post

    While death by car accident outranks homicide by gun by about 4 to 1 it is very hard for me to take this gun control argument seriously. There are VASTLY more important issues to discuss.
    Are there??

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Google+ - Facebook - Twitter - Meetup

Edward's photos on Flickr - Wired New York on Flickr - In Queens - In Red Hook - Bryant Park - SQL Backup Software