Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wired New York Finished?

I'm still clinging onto the wreckage although the sharks are circling ....
    Last edited by Wobert Wedford; August 18th, 2017 at 02:50 PM.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Wobert Wedford View Post
    I'm still clinging on to the boat although the sharks are circling ....
    I view myself as Wall-E circling the ruins and getting work done

NYC booming and this forum is on the downhill, quite ironique! More interesting projects going on now than anytime when I used to post here in the day.
    Last edited by futurecity; August 25th, 2017 at 06:42 AM.

I do hope this forum is archived permanently.

Future historians seeking to uncover what an anonymous group of sanctimonious bloviating blowhards thought of early 21st century NYC architecture could do worse than study this website.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by EastMillinocket View Post
    I do hope this forum is archived permanently.

Future historians seeking to uncover what an anonymous group of sanctimonious bloviating blowhards thought of early 21st century NYC architecture could do worse than study this website.
    Except that much of the best stuff was hosted on defunct image hosting servers. There are so many dead image links on the site now from older threads
    Last edited by GordonGecko; September 5th, 2017 at 02:17 PM.

I've never been more than a bit contributor, even in the sites glory days - but I'm sad to see it decline. There really isn't a site covering NYC sadly that hits the combo of criticism, breaking news, and insider knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Alonzo-ny View Post
    The decline of this forum is a real shame. When I joined and for many years afterwards it was THE place to get updates on anything NYC related. I'd say it peaked around the time I was actually in NYC, 2007. I met some great guys from this website who I should really get in touch with again.
    I think a sizable chunk of members drifted off as the number of projects dipped around 2010. Not that I'd call this place a victim of the 2008 recession, but I do think it was the beginning of the (alleged) end.

But what can you do when the core members of your community move on? Zippy, ablarc and lofter1 alone were like 50% of the site, and then you had the phenomenal supporting cast of Derek2k3, stache, Kris, Fabrizio, BrooklynRider, LondonLawyer, pianoman, MidtownGuy, NYatKNIGHT, Gulcrapek, JMGarcia, Stern, and of course TLOZ Link5 (RIP). I read every single post of these people because they were knowledgeable and, in the case of many of them, downright wise. I can't tell you how much I learned from this place.

I would love nothing more than to see this place return to the stimulating forum it once was, but I'm not holding my breath. Edward, thank you so much for providing this place to us for over 15 years now. At its peak it was second only to maybe Cyburbia for truly thought-provoking online urbanist discussion.

Edit: gosh this reads like a damn eulogy :/
    Last edited by kz1000ps; October 10th, 2017 at 01:21 AM.

Was this site ever really thought-provoking?

Absolutely. 2004-08 this place was a hive for sharp minds curious about our environment, and pretty much the best site on the web for NYC development news. The forumer Ablarc in particular was a fountain of knowledge and wisdom who always pushed the conversation forward. I miss his guidance.

The only contributions nowadays seem to relate to property, gone are the days of wide-ranging and interesting topics & comments from many contributors.
    I think it's time for me to 'call it a day' and leave the forum, it's a pity but there seems little point in staying as it just seems akin to talking to oneself and I'm not ready for the home for the bewildered yet!

Goodbye and good luck to all.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Wobert Wedford View Post
    Goodbye and good luck to all.
    well like I wrote a while back I'm like Wall-E I have no problem roaming a post-apocalyptic Earth when all the humans are gone. Last man standing I guess

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12