Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wired New York Finished?

Forum Veteran

Default Wired New York Finished?

It doesn't seem like this is a viable forum anymore, even the small core group of members no longer write or respond. It seems like half a dozen posts across the site on any given day. Did people just go elsewhere or did they join the real world

Forum Veteran

Some fled to SSP and SSC , the ones who were banned then went over to YIMBY... SSP has a stronger NYC community , although SSC is starting to catch up... YIMBY activity level is the same as WiredNY... Ive been trying to get SSP & SSC to merge into each other , a lot of ppl seem warm to that idea... Like ive said before numerous times I would like to see WiredNY fold into SSC which has a NJ and NY section to save all the posting history and give a boost to threads. It would be a shame for the Internet to lose all that posting history... I can't see this site lasting another 2 yrs...

There were a lot of members getting banned from from WNY in years past, and some of them have become regular posters over at SSP, SSC and YIMBY: so that is part of the 'brain drain' and lack of participation that has occurred here at WNY. Another factor - and what is different about YIMBY, SSP and SSC - is that there is nearly a complete absence of debate and argumentation: people on those other sites mostly add informative commentary and have mostly cordial (but brief) discussion.

I believe that Wired New York will continue to thrive long beyond "another 2 years" - even if only as sort of a 'boutique' forum made up of a few regular and long time posters. We continue to have an interesting, group of long time contributors here I there is some degree of familiarity between us that can not be found anywhere else on those other internet forums.

So long live WNY; I doubt it is going anywhere or merging with anyone - but that will be the decision of the site owner.

So long live WNY; I doubt it is going anywhere or merging with anyone - but that will be the decision of the site owner.
    here here!

It would be a great shame to lose WNY but we do need more contributors - let's all see if we can 'recruit' more people, put the word around so-to-speak ....

I nearly had a heart attack yesterday when I tried opening WNY. Instead of the forum, a web page appeared with the message that the WNY domain name had expired!! I tried several more times but got the same thing. Despite the significant downturn in activity on the forum, I couldn't imagine that Edward would allow that to happen without first letting us know. So, either it was someone's idea of a bad joke, or the domain has been renewed. I even tried connecting with Edward on LinkedIn to ask him about it.

Anyway, all's well. And perhaps all the more reason to reinvigorate our community.

The decline of this forum is a real shame. When I joined and for many years afterwards it was THE place to get updates on anything NYC related. I'd say it peaked around the time I was actually in NYC, 2007. I met some great guys from this website who I should really get in touch with again.

It seemed to get quiet in the few years after I left the city. A lot of long time posters seemed to drift off for whatever reason.

It is true that SSC has much more activity but the quality of the posts is drastically lower. It's really just photo comments and news updates with some inane commentary. There is none of the high brow discussions we would have here.

Overall, it's a great shame but what can we do? Merging would be a terrible idea. WNY would simply disappear into the SSC leviathan.

Does Ed post much here any more? Or other mods? Admittedly I only read the NYC skyscrapers and architecture threads these days. I guess some leadership from the top could revitalise the forum...

Anyway, I still hang around if not saying anything. I do miss the good old days where I'd read damn near every post on this forum. I hope those days can return!

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Merry View Post
    I nearly had a heart attack yesterday when I tried opening WNY. Instead of the forum, a web page appeared with the message that the WNY domain name had expired!!
    The domain did expire, but the registrar always provides a generous grace period. The domain was renewed yesterday for a year

Quote Originally Posted by Merry View Post
    And perhaps all the more reason to reinvigorate our community.
    Any ideas?

SSP and SSC are the epitome of inane and unsophisticated forum discussions. The renders are nice but I genuinely feel dumber after reading some of the commentary. Anything greater than 800 feet is glorified as magnificent without any regard for appearance or nuances.

One thing that I cannot discount is the diminished quality of the skyscraper products in the past 5 years. I for one can speak for my weariness of the constant lament that following NYC architecture gives me. Which is not to say that there aren't some great projects out there but most of them are disheartening monuments to frugality being spoon-fed by greed.

Maybe that can change toward the slightly better one day.

I've reached out to Edward but he doesn't seem interested in doing much to revive the site. I run Urbantoronto.ca which we started as an antidote to SSP and SSC. NY needs something like it.

Is Edward still alive?

Yes. At least he was when I met him last year.

Well, looking through and seeing almost nothing except for Jersey City posts, I guess I can say that this site is now in Zombie mode.

Almost no Political discussion, or talk about developments around here. Mostly WW starting all the threads and having last post...

WHERE IS EVERYONE?

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
    WHERE IS EVERYONE?
    I think most of them were euthanized.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by EastMillinocket View Post
    I think most of them were euthanized.
    By Zippy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast