Thread: Governor's Island

Default Governor's Island

There is a very interesting article in the current issue of the New Yorker mag about Governor's. Island and and the firm that designed the public spaces that are starting to attract thousands to the place. The people behind the restructuring and transformation of the island have created a number of inner-city parks around Europe and have been described as one of the most innovative park architects of the new Century.
    They have sculpted the land, building mounds from the debris of some of the old buildings that were there and the landscaping, tree plantings, hills and 'natural' settings were compared to Olmstead's work in Central Park.

I must have passed the place a zillion times on the Staten Island Ferry, and once, many years ago I approached the island in a private boat, but the owner refused to land fearing harassment by the Coast Guard or the Navy or whomever it was that ruled over the place back then.

Has anyone had the chance to visit Gov Island yet???

I understand, from the article, that the views of NYC are fresh and spectacular...
    Last edited by Hof; May 15th, 2016 at 03:46 PM.

Thank's for that, Merry