Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Tappan Zee Bridge Alteration or Replacement

Ugly bridge: I-95 overpass, Bridgeport Harbor. Original 50s-era design was OK, but during the recent five-year overhaul and expansion of the original bridge, CT Department of Transportation selected a curious combination of beam widths for the structural steel. Further, the original detailing of the concrete work was wholly eliminated. The current bridge is an eyesore. Just what Bridgeport really needed, eh?

The old bridge (pre-renovation) is featured prominently in a movie that was filmed in Bridgeport in the early 1970s. I don't recall the name of that movie, sorry.

Ugly Bridge # 2: Tomlinson Avenue bridge, New Haven. Simply an atrocious pile of somebody's nightmare! It's downright laughable! Immediately adjacent to and south of the Q-Bridge, I-95.
    Last edited by Bob; January 15th, 2007 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Added another montrosity

Architectural Padawan

Has it really been a whole year since any new information on this project was revealed? That's just depressing.

This seems like one of those projects that will take decades to start.

Default Answer to all your questions

The reason state/county planners dont want to install a rail/bus lane is the fear of urban sprawl. Rockland and Westchester County are proud and very protective of their suburban environment and with effective public transportation comes urban sprawl. Therefore, the Tappan Zee Bridge will take years to get fixed and i doubt a tunnel for train passage will be built. (possibly a bus route).

^ What's "urban sprawl"?

Random Personality

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    ^ What's "urban sprawl"?
    Spawl thats more urban .

Of course that doesn't make any sense.

EDIT: Not the best source, but i guess it explains it better:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_sprawl
    Last edited by ramvid01; January 17th, 2007 at 12:47 AM.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

So in other words, it's just another way of saying suburbs?

So why not just say suburbs instead?

Anyway DOUGLASTONQUEENS, to simply state it, those folks wanting to "protect" Westchester and Rockland are just anti-growth.

Architectural Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by DOUGLASTONQUEENS View Post
    The reason state/county planners dont want to install a rail/bus lane is the fear of urban sprawl. Rockland and Westchester County are proud and very protective of their suburban environment and with effective public transportation comes urban sprawl. Therefore, the Tappan Zee Bridge will take years to get fixed and i doubt a tunnel for train passage will be built. (possibly a bus route).
    I disagree with that statement, as a former resident of Rockland county. Suffern greatly benefitted from the rail line down to Hoboken. The Wall St. people seeking a new home with actual land exceeding an acre represent a rather large proportion of residents. Commutes to WTC are around an hour.

A rail link across the hudson would have the same effect for the rest of rockland. Before you bring up resistance to land values skyrocketing and people kvetching about change in character, it's already happening. I'm hearing stories from my parents about people in their late 20s who grew up in Rockland and work in the area having to move up to Orange County to find an affordable place to live.

Default Actually...

Quote Originally Posted by Deimos View Post
    I disagree with that statement, as a former resident of Rockland county. Suffern greatly benefitted from the rail line down to Hoboken. The Wall St. people seeking a new home with actual land exceeding an acre represent a rather large proportion of residents. Commutes to WTC are around an hour.

A rail link across the hudson would have the same effect for the rest of rockland. Before you bring up resistance to land values skyrocketing and people kvetching about change in character, it's already happening. I'm hearing stories from my parents about people in their late 20s who grew up in Rockland and work in the area having to move up to Orange County to find an affordable place to live.
    I am talking about Urban Sprawl. Rockland County doesnt want big satellite cities to develop like in Westchester. And Northern Westchester doesnt want Urban development either. Rockland is the definition of Suburban Sprawl.

P.S. Isnt the commuter rail from Suffern to Hoboken long gone??

^No, it runs regularly. That rail line goes through rural areas as far as Port Jervis.

Just because a place has access to rail transit doesn't mean it becomes urban.

Architectural Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by NYatKNIGHT View Post
    Just because a place has access to rail transit doesn't mean it becomes urban.
    Exactly... zoning laws can prevent this from happening quite easily. Such things as restrictions on multi-family dwellings and/or minimum sizes for a parcel of land will ensure a suburban community remains exactly that.

As for the line to Hoboken... all trains from Port Chester through Suffern stop at both Secaucus Junction and Hoboken.... most Rush Hour express trains only stop at these 2 locations.

You mean all the lines from Port Jervis? Port Chester is in NY on the CT border. Also, the Suffern service is a joint operation between Metro North and New Jersey Transit, but all service north of there to Port Jervis I believe is strictly Metro North(though I think occasionally you'll see NJT coaches on the train).

So basically what you're saying is that there is fear in Rockland that someplace will end up being the Stamford or White Plains of Rockland County. Reasonable fear. That place I'd say is most likey Suffern given the fact that it will end up having rail from the north, south, and east.

I don't think this is a good enough reason though to shun a good opportunity for enhanced public transportation. 287 can really use the help and bus lanes will probably just be over the bridge and that's it, forcing the bus to get caught up in the same traffic.

Architectural Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by NIMBYkiller View Post
    You mean all the lines from Port Jervis? Port Chester is in NY on the CT border. Also, the Suffern service is a joint operation between Metro North and New Jersey Transit, but all service north of there to Port Jervis I believe is strictly Metro North(though I think occasionally you'll see NJT coaches on the train).

So basically what you're saying is that there is fear in Rockland that someplace will end up being the Stamford or White Plains of Rockland County. Reasonable fear. That place I'd say is most likey Suffern given the fact that it will end up having rail from the north, south, and east.

I don't think this is a good enough reason though to shun a good opportunity for enhanced public transportation. 287 can really use the help and bus lanes will probably just be over the bridge and that's it, forcing the bus to get caught up in the same traffic.

Oops, you're right, port Jeff, not port Chester... i always get them mixed up. As for the trains, the line from Suffern to Hoboken is NJ Transit w/MNRR leasing space... the off peak trains are local from port jeff all the way down for the most part, and NJ Transit has a rail yard less than a mile from the suffern station in NY.

Port JERVIS. Port Jeff is north shore Long Island in Suffolk County, NY. Port Washington is north shore Long Island in Nassau County, NY. Port Chester is Westchester County, NY, on the CT border. Lots of ports...I guess it's what we get for living near water.

If any place in Rockland was to become "urbanized" i'd say Nyack. Suffern is too far in-county.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast