Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 139

Thread: Tappan Zee Bridge Alteration or Replacement

  1. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Monmouth County, NJ
    Posts
    303

    Default

    This seems like one of those projects that will take decades to start.

  2. #47

    Default Answer to all your questions

    The reason state/county planners dont want to install a rail/bus lane is the fear of urban sprawl. Rockland and Westchester County are proud and very protective of their suburban environment and with effective public transportation comes urban sprawl. Therefore, the Tappan Zee Bridge will take years to get fixed and i doubt a tunnel for train passage will be built. (possibly a bus route).

  3. #48

    Default

    ^ What's "urban sprawl"?

  4. #49
    Random Personality
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Woodside, Queens
    Posts
    950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    ^ What's "urban sprawl"?
    Spawl thats more urban .

    Of course that doesn't make any sense.

    EDIT: Not the best source, but i guess it explains it better:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_sprawl
    Last edited by ramvid01; January 16th, 2007 at 11:47 PM.

  5. #50
    Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    in Limbo
    Posts
    8,976

    Default

    So in other words, it's just another way of saying suburbs?

    So why not just say suburbs instead?

    Anyway DOUGLASTONQUEENS, to simply state it, those folks wanting to "protect" Westchester and Rockland are just anti-growth.

  6. #51
    Architectural Padawan
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Turtle Bay
    Posts
    319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DOUGLASTONQUEENS View Post
    The reason state/county planners dont want to install a rail/bus lane is the fear of urban sprawl. Rockland and Westchester County are proud and very protective of their suburban environment and with effective public transportation comes urban sprawl. Therefore, the Tappan Zee Bridge will take years to get fixed and i doubt a tunnel for train passage will be built. (possibly a bus route).
    I disagree with that statement, as a former resident of Rockland county. Suffern greatly benefitted from the rail line down to Hoboken. The Wall St. people seeking a new home with actual land exceeding an acre represent a rather large proportion of residents. Commutes to WTC are around an hour.

    A rail link across the hudson would have the same effect for the rest of rockland. Before you bring up resistance to land values skyrocketing and people kvetching about change in character, it's already happening. I'm hearing stories from my parents about people in their late 20s who grew up in Rockland and work in the area having to move up to Orange County to find an affordable place to live.

  7. #52

    Default Actually...

    Quote Originally Posted by Deimos View Post
    I disagree with that statement, as a former resident of Rockland county. Suffern greatly benefitted from the rail line down to Hoboken. The Wall St. people seeking a new home with actual land exceeding an acre represent a rather large proportion of residents. Commutes to WTC are around an hour.

    A rail link across the hudson would have the same effect for the rest of rockland. Before you bring up resistance to land values skyrocketing and people kvetching about change in character, it's already happening. I'm hearing stories from my parents about people in their late 20s who grew up in Rockland and work in the area having to move up to Orange County to find an affordable place to live.
    I am talking about Urban Sprawl. Rockland County doesnt want big satellite cities to develop like in Westchester. And Northern Westchester doesnt want Urban development either. Rockland is the definition of Suburban Sprawl.

    P.S. Isnt the commuter rail from Suffern to Hoboken long gone??

  8. #53
    Moderator NYatKNIGHT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Manhattan - South Village
    Posts
    4,240

    Default

    ^No, it runs regularly. That rail line goes through rural areas as far as Port Jervis.

    Just because a place has access to rail transit doesn't mean it becomes urban.

  9. #54
    Architectural Padawan
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Turtle Bay
    Posts
    319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NYatKNIGHT View Post
    Just because a place has access to rail transit doesn't mean it becomes urban.
    Exactly... zoning laws can prevent this from happening quite easily. Such things as restrictions on multi-family dwellings and/or minimum sizes for a parcel of land will ensure a suburban community remains exactly that.


    As for the line to Hoboken... all trains from Port Chester through Suffern stop at both Secaucus Junction and Hoboken.... most Rush Hour express trains only stop at these 2 locations.

  10. #55

    Default

    You mean all the lines from Port Jervis? Port Chester is in NY on the CT border. Also, the Suffern service is a joint operation between Metro North and New Jersey Transit, but all service north of there to Port Jervis I believe is strictly Metro North(though I think occasionally you'll see NJT coaches on the train).

    So basically what you're saying is that there is fear in Rockland that someplace will end up being the Stamford or White Plains of Rockland County. Reasonable fear. That place I'd say is most likey Suffern given the fact that it will end up having rail from the north, south, and east.

    I don't think this is a good enough reason though to shun a good opportunity for enhanced public transportation. 287 can really use the help and bus lanes will probably just be over the bridge and that's it, forcing the bus to get caught up in the same traffic.

  11. #56
    Architectural Padawan
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Turtle Bay
    Posts
    319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBYkiller View Post
    You mean all the lines from Port Jervis? Port Chester is in NY on the CT border. Also, the Suffern service is a joint operation between Metro North and New Jersey Transit, but all service north of there to Port Jervis I believe is strictly Metro North(though I think occasionally you'll see NJT coaches on the train).

    So basically what you're saying is that there is fear in Rockland that someplace will end up being the Stamford or White Plains of Rockland County. Reasonable fear. That place I'd say is most likey Suffern given the fact that it will end up having rail from the north, south, and east.

    I don't think this is a good enough reason though to shun a good opportunity for enhanced public transportation. 287 can really use the help and bus lanes will probably just be over the bridge and that's it, forcing the bus to get caught up in the same traffic.

    Oops, you're right, port Jeff, not port Chester... i always get them mixed up. As for the trains, the line from Suffern to Hoboken is NJ Transit w/MNRR leasing space... the off peak trains are local from port jeff all the way down for the most part, and NJ Transit has a rail yard less than a mile from the suffern station in NY.

  12. #57

    Default

    Port JERVIS. Port Jeff is north shore Long Island in Suffolk County, NY. Port Washington is north shore Long Island in Nassau County, NY. Port Chester is Westchester County, NY, on the CT border. Lots of ports...I guess it's what we get for living near water.

  13. #58

    Default

    If any place in Rockland was to become "urbanized" i'd say Nyack. Suffern is too far in-county.

  14. #59
    Architectural Padawan
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Turtle Bay
    Posts
    319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBYkiller View Post
    Port JERVIS. Port Jeff is north shore Long Island in Suffolk County, NY. Port Washington is north shore Long Island in Nassau County, NY. Port Chester is Westchester County, NY, on the CT border. Lots of ports...I guess it's what we get for living near water.
    Whoops... you're right, it's Port Jackson... ok, i'll shut up now. I seriously always got that place's (Port Jervis) name wrong even in the 23 years that I lived in Suffern.

    As for the development of Rockland... It would take a lot of re-zoning for Suffern to become the next White Plains. It's also too small geographically. Nyack and really any other area that could be thought of is too far from current transit hubs to become an effective city.

  15. #60
    Moderator NYatKNIGHT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Manhattan - South Village
    Posts
    4,240

    Default

    Proposals for a new Tappan Zee outlined
    February 14, 2007

    BY JIM FITZGERALD
    THE ASSOCIATED PRESS


    Replacing the Tappan Zee Bridge would not require seizing new land along the Hudson River, planners said yesterday, and encroachments on private property would be minimal even if a mass transit line were added to the project.

    However, a new commuter rail line would require extensive tunneling at both ends of the bridge and beneath White Plains, they said.

    Officials acknowledged that all the plans are "iffy" because no decision has been made to replace the existing bridge and no funding is in place for the project, which could cost up to $14.5 billion in 2004 dollars.

    But consultants presented details for two proposals, one stressing buses and one stressing trains, that might be implemented for the Interstate 287 corridor, from Suffern to Port Chester, if a new span gets the go-ahead.

    Other, less grand, possibilities range down to simply keeping the existing, overburdened, 51-year-old bridge - which carries an average of 140,000 vehicles a day - maintained at a safe level without any bridge or transit improvements.

    The briefing showed extensive efforts to prevent the projects from spilling onto private property: moving bus lanes from one side of the highway to the other, taking advantage of old rail lines, using existing park-and-ride lots and keeping trains directly below the highway in tunnels or above it on elevated tracks.

    But Michael Anderson, of the state Department of Transportation, the project leader, said some private land may have to be taken, especially where train or bus stations are built along the route.

    Most of that property would be commercial land, some of which is vacant or underused, he said.

    Property owners at the ends of the bridge need not worry about losing their property, consultant Mark Roche said.

    Although the new bridge would be built slightly north of the current Tappan Zee, it would be within the New York State Thruway's right of way when it reached land at Tarrytown on the east side of the river and Nyack on the west side, he said.

    The new bridge would be built in two stages, he said, one for eastbound and one for westbound traffic, each about as wide as the current bridge and possibly with two levels. One section would be completed first, and all the traffic from the current bridge would be routed onto that section temporarily while the old bridge is demolished and the second stage is built.

    Most of the briefing focused on the highways leading to a new bridge rather than the bridge itself.

    "Our focus is on getting the approaches right," Roche said.
    There would be four train stations along the line in Rockland, seven in Westchester.

    If corridor improvements call for buses rather than trains - a move that would be billions of dollars cheaper - dedicated bus lanes would be built along I-287, sometimes in the middle, sometimes on the north or south side.

    In White Plains and some other areas, buses would run on local streets but would have some advantages over private cars. For example, at some intersections the bus driver would be able to change the traffic light.
    Anderson said he hoped one plan for the corridor would be chosen by August and approved in time to start digging in 2010. He said the project could be finished by 2015.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Queensboro (59th Street) Bridge
    By Edward in forum New York City Guide For Visitors
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: March 10th, 2015, 05:10 AM
  2. Manhattan Bridge
    By Edward in forum New York City Guide For Visitors
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: April 28th, 2014, 08:35 AM
  3. Triborough Bridge
    By Edward in forum New York City Guide For Visitors
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: August 22nd, 2011, 10:35 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: April 26th, 2011, 04:09 AM
  5. The gantry of the float bridge of New York Central Railroad
    By Edward in forum New York City Guide For Visitors
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: March 21st, 2011, 04:16 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Google+ - Facebook - Twitter - Meetup

Edward's photos on Flickr - Wired New York on Flickr - In Queens - In Red Hook - Bryant Park - SQL Backup Software