Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Shard of Glass - Renzo Piano's London Bridge Tower

This picture was taken in around the 80's by the looks of it, yet uou can see in this picture the exact site of where the tower will go....its where the brown/silver tower currently is.

The tower will also hang over the modern through platforms to the right, while the historical (world's oldest train terminus) London Bridge Station is modernised to ensure more efficient flow around the adapted environs. The large tower to the left is the Guy's Hospital tower: tallest hospital in the world, while Canary Wharf would be around 3miles behind us and the City of London just over the river to the right.

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy
    Spectacular news for London! I love this design.
    It's even better than Transamerica, and look how much Transamerica does for San Francisco. If not for Bank of America's gloomy hulk, Transamerica would dominate the skyline. The Shard will do that for London, and it will make a nice counterpoint for St. Paul's: a kind of deconstructed Trylon and Perisphere.

It looks like construction is about to start (i work at Guys hospital next door) - in the last couple of weeks they've put up boards around the current building on the site saying development is about to begin. I like the look of the building, its on the opposite side of the river from the tower of London, the old and the new, it would make a nice contrast.

Not sure if people knew this but the hotel inside will be a Living Shangra-La hotel. Saw an ad in a Montreal newspaper this morning.

Default Demolition Of Southwark Tower Has Begun!!!!!

Early this morning I had a chat with friends via telephone about their trip over to London, and in the midst of that conversation they belatedly informed me that oh, by the way, St. Thomas Street is closed, and that Southwark Tower is under active demolition. That of course floored me immediately, because that means the first hurdle is being removed for that long awaited start of construction of Piano's LBT.

They say that the red crane of demolition is visible from quite a distance away. Since it took so long to get from approval status to this point, you can only have a sigh of relief, but demolition will be slow by American standards. Then the excavation will get a more boisterous reception and we will know that "the Shard" will be well on its way.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    Early this morning I had a chat with friends via telephone about their trip over to London, and in the midst of that conversation they belatedly informed me that oh, by the way, St. Thomas Street is closed, and that Southwark Tower is under active demolition. That of course floored me immediately, because that means the first hurdle is being removed for that long awaited start of construction of Piano's LBT.

They say that the red crane of demolition is visible from quite a distance away. Since it took so long to get from approval status to this point, you can only have a sigh of relief, but demolition will be slow by American standards. Then the excavation will get a more boisterous reception and we will know that "the Shard" will be well on its way.
    I've not seen the red crane, but i noticed the other day on my way to work that there was a large drilling machine (not sure what they are called) on St.Thomas street so i assume preparation for the demolition has started. St.Thomas street has since re-opened. Certainly something is going on there, but i'm not sure demolition has started just yet. Demolition has started on several other sites including the Heron tower site , the leadenhall building and a couple of others, but as you say, work over here is slow so it will be some time before these new towers start to take shape.
    Last edited by Meerkat; August 26th, 2007 at 06:42 PM.

Default Follow-up

I have searched the internet and found the following two items:

The City of London is seeing a totally unprecedented flurry of activity surrounding the crop of existing sixties towers it has. ...

Outside the City core there is perhaps most awaited demolition as scaffolding has started to crawl up Southwark Towers, rapidly being vacated by occupier PWC, to allow it to also be demolished and London Bridge Tower to be built in its place. ...

http://www.skyscrapernews.org/news.php?ref=1063

Next -

At the Skyscrapercity website they have a discussion about the demolition beginning on the 19th and there are a few photos made by forumers over there - including the red crane:

The start of the demolition discussion is on this page:
    http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...407549&page=73

I have searched the internet and found the following two items:

The City of London is seeing a totally unprecedented flurry of activity surrounding the crop of existing sixties towers it has. ...

Outside the City core there is perhaps most awaited demolition as scaffolding has started to crawl up Southwark Towers, rapidly being vacated by occupier PWC, to allow it to also be demolished and London Bridge Tower to be built in its place. ...

http://www.skyscrapernews.org/news.php?ref=1063

Next -

At the Skyscrapercity website they have a discussion about the demolition beginning on the 19th and there are a few photos made by forumers over there - including the red crane:

The start of the demolition discussion is on this page:
    http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...407549&page=73

(Appreciate your response Meerkat.)

Please keep an eye out for us will you? You'll probably see or hear something that we may not be able to find on an internet search. I happen to think this project is one of the most interesting in Europe, and the world for that matter. I wish I were there, viewing it firsthand.

The Shard has been struck by a delay of at least 1 year.

It's a total travesty. I'm beginning to doubt this will happen. Everyone, give a big hand to Mr. Simon bloody Halabi for possibly ruining this project.

Quote Originally Posted by newcastle kid View Post
    The Shard has been struck by a delay of at least 1 year.

It's a total travesty. I'm beginning to doubt this will happen. Everyone, give a big hand to Mr. Simon bloody Halabi for possibly ruining this project.
    Having trouble with that link ...

I guess you are correct newcastle kid.

I am getting the word now from several sources. This is truly devastating.

That particular article seems to have disappeared. Hopefully Halabi will either sort himself out, or Sellar and CLS can buy his stake. I just hope this will go ahead, it will be one of the greatest skyscrapers in Europe upon completion.

(Appreciate your response Meerkat.)

Please keep an eye out for us will you? You'll probably see or hear something that we may not be able to find on an internet search. I happen to think this project is one of the most interesting in Europe, and the world for that matter. I wish I were there, viewing it firsthand.
    Yes i'll keep you informed. I pass the site nearly every day, so as soon as anything new happens i'll let you know.

I'll be very surprised if this project is cancelled, especially considering demolition is about to commence on the current building, and part of the Shard has already been pre-let. There are always delays and set backs on any new project (just look at crossrail), so i wouldn't be too concerned about the latest set back. I had a look at the official site and there is no mention of a delay. Probably just the English press getting hold of a rumour and blowing it out of all proportion (as usual). There seems to be a lot of discussion on other skyscraper forums, and people convinced that it is going to be cancelled, but i'm optimistic. There are placcards positioned around the London bridge area saying 'redevelopment has begun', so it would seem a total waste of time and money for it all to fall through at this late stage.

From The Times
    August 27, 2007

Delay for UK’s tallest tower as backers struggle for funding

By James Rossiter

The timetable for completing the Shard of Glass, intended to be Britain’s tallest building, has been put back by at least a year to 2012 as its backers struggle to secure finance.

The owners of the New London Bridge House project, a 1,016ft skyscraper, had aimed to secure about £350 million this summer to fund construction, but City concern about the financial credibility of Simon Halabi, the one-third owner, had made it hard to gain finance, sources said, as had a souring debt market.

Mr Halabi is thought to be sitting on a £150 million loss after buying the Esporta fitness chain this year for £470 million, only for Société Générale, his main bank lender for the purchase, to put the holding company into administration this month.

A source close to the Shard project said: “There is the problem of Halabi. Esporta is not helping the financing. The reality is people are asking: ‘Has he got the money?’ But this is a more fundable deal than most. Orginally it was planned for 2010. It may take a couple of years longer. If there is finance in the autumn and it goes up by 2011 it can be completed in 2012. The earliest is 2012. No one anticipated the time over planning inquiries and Mr Halabi.”

The Shard project is owned by the Halabi Family Trust, CLS, a property company, and Sellar Property Group.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast