Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Bayonne

It's ok. Sometime in the spring I'll take a ride to the park and see what's up. In the daytime. I also remember these three beautiful old townhomes in a row on Communipaw Ave that I saw last summer, but it was too congested and I couldn't stop. One of tham had black trim.

Quote Originally Posted by JCMAN320 View Post
    Mariab. Yea I guess it's on hold for now.

In regards to the neighborhood known as Lafayette around the Liberty State Park area, it is JC's Harlem. Always a predominately African American neighborhood but at one time was wealthy and fell on hard times. There are yuppies and hipsters moving into the neighborhood. It is slowly pulling itself out of the doldrums but will take time.
    These things always do. They go through a sort of slack tide period where they're not getting worse but they're not getting better either. It will take years but it'll make it back.

Forum Veteran

Recent Visit to the Tear Drop memorial

002 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

003 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

004 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

005 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

007 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

008 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

009 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

010 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

011 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

014 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

015 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

017 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

From 34th Street Mall...

020 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

022 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Thanks for the pics Nexis. Those ships are pretty impressive up close, and apparently watching them set sail is somewhat of an event, because I've seen people gathered for it. I stayed once as long as I could but it wasn't leaving and I had to.

The residences in that last pic are the Alexan City View. When you visit their website it looks like a really cool place to live, until you read all the lousy reviews, which I was really surprised about. There were some positive, but most were negative. There were things you can't fix such as paper-thin walls. One guy said he could hear the guy in the apartment above him urinating in his toilet. You can clearly hear normal conversations in the next apartment. This place was just built in '09, they shouldn't be having those problems.

But as far as that peninsula, I believe it's more than ready for redevelopement and they can really do it right since it's mostly open land. Btw were you wondering, as you were driving past all those abandoned buildings, if you were actually on the right road for the memorial? The first time I drove there, I didn't. It could be creepy, then it just opens up and you're there.
    Last edited by mariab; May 7th, 2013 at 09:04 PM.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by mariab View Post
    Thanks for the pics Nexis. Those ships are pretty impressive up close, and apparently watching them set sail is somewhat of an event, because I've seen people gathered for it. I stayed once as long as I could but it wasn't leaving and I had to.

The residences in that last pic are the Alexan City View. When you visit their website it looks like a really cool place to live, until you read all the lousy reviews, which I was really surprised about. There were some positive, but most were negative. There were things you can't fix such as paper-thin walls. One guy said he could hear the guy in the apartment above him urinating in his toilet. You can clearly hear normal conversations in the next apartment. This place was just built in '09, they shouldn't be having those problems.

But as far as that peninsula, I believe it's more than ready for redevelopment and they can really do it right since it's mostly open land. Btw were you wondering, as you were driving past all those abandoned buildings, if you were actually on the right road for the memorial? The first time I drove there, I didn't. It could be creepy, then it just opens up and you're there.
    Indeed they are , it took us 15mins to get through the Cruise Ship traffic....it seems a lot of people use this cruiseport now which is an encouraging sign. It didn't leave even when we went over to Bay Ridge which took an hour due to Traffic it was still there.

I've noticed a lot of recent buildings have these types of issues with the leaking pipes , mold , trash pick up , bad management and noise which can be traced back to the developers choosing cheap materials and not hiring the right people to run the complexes. They seem to be hiring right off the street and not checking for degrees or experience. And then they charge at least 1500$+ for a crapshoot apartment which turns out to be hell... Just about all the Newer Jersey City and Hoboken developments have these issues and its bothersome.

They purchased a few old Newark Subway cars that would be brought as a connector line from the Memorial to the 34th Street Light Rail Station and Downtown Bayonne. The area is more then ready for more redevelopment seems like the developer is stalling after his first building hasn't been a smashing success. I've been there a few times , but I brought my mom for the first time to see the Memorial. She kept asking me if we were on the right road...it definitely gives a creepy feeling...and I can't imagine what its like at night.

Yeah there were complaints about shuttle service to the LR from that place too. Slow, and no a/c in the summer. They better wise up if they don't want that complex turning into just another tired place to live.

There is a new place further down, but on the west side, that looks interesting. Street view shows it still under renovation in 2007, but it's been open. It was the old Victory Building built in I think 1922 and used by the Knights of Columbus, who have now built new right next door. Gutted and renovated Victory Lofts are one to three bedroom apartments with decent floor plans, and to young couples or families starting out, an in-unit W/D and an assigned parking space could be a luxury. Haven't seen any reviews yet.

Any idea when the connector rail project will happen?

Forum Veteran

Yeah there were complaints about shuttle service to the LR from that place too. Slow, and no a/c in the summer. They better wise up if they don't want that complex turning into just another tired place to live.

There is a new place further down, but on the west side, that looks interesting. Street view shows it still under renovation in 2007, but it's been open. It was the old Victory Building built in I think 1922 and used by the Knights of Columbus, who have now built new right next door. Gutted and renovated Victory Lofts are one to three bedroom apartments with decent floor plans, and to young couples or families starting out, an in-unit W/D and an assigned parking space could be a luxury. Haven't seen any reviews yet.

Any idea when the connector rail project will happen?
    http://www.bayonnelra.com/planning_board.pdf

I would assume once the rest of the development is built , the Streetcar line will come with it. Its the same with the other infill stations along the HBLR , Bayfront , Grove&18th Streets , Canal Crossing , Liberty Harbor West and North Hoboken Stations all seem tied to larger Master redevelopment plans. There are also numerous proposed infill stations along the Regional Rail Network like Laurence Harbor , Wesmont , South Burlington , North Brunswick , Ampere , Harrison , North Paterson , South Paterson , and Westmont each tied to a master Plan by a private developer or the city or town that station is in.

Exclamation Bayonne Peninsula Going Industrial Again

Not to burst anyones bubble but do not expect for the rest of the Peninsula to be built out residential. The Port Authority bought a majority of it when Bayonne decided that it could not find enough takers to build residential on it. It will basically be a compliment to Port Jersey in JC across the channel.

Port Authority to buy former Military Ocean Terminal in Bayonne in effort to expand ports
    Published: Thursday, June 24, 2010, 9:27 PM Updated: Friday, June 25, 2010, 5:44 AM
    By Steve Strunsky/The Star-Ledger

Photo/Richard Raska
    A 1997 aerial view of Military Ocean Terminal, Bayonne. City officials have approved the sale of the 130-acre site to Port Authority.

BAYONNE — The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is buying a huge chunk of the former Military Ocean Terminal at Bayonne and all of the Global Terminal container port in Jersey City as part of a plan to ensure the future growth of the region’s ports.

Under terms of the deal disclosed by the Port Authority tonight, Bayonne will receive payments totalling $235 million spread over 24 years, including $135 million for the 130 acres of Ocean Terminal, plus almost 100 underwater acres surrounding the peninsula. The agency will pay the city another $100 million for permanent roadway easements to assure that trucks and other vehicles always have access to the site. Bayonne officials gave preliminary approval to the deal last night.

The Global Terminal deal is expected to be formally announced today, According to an official close to the negotiations, Global Terminal’s current owners will continue to operate the container port under a lease with the Port Authority, which will own the 98-acre property. Instead of cash up front, the agency will pay Global a so-called tenant’s development allowance of up to $150 million toward the total cost of $312 million for an expansion of the terminal, said the official, who asked not to be identified because the Global deal had not been formally announced.

Global declined to comment today.

For Bayonne, the Marine Terminal sale is a reversal of its original plan for the site, renamed the Peninsula at Bayonne in 2002, after it bought the land from the Department of Defense.
    Bayonne envisioned the two-mile-long peninsula — with its breathtaking views of Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Verrazano Narrows Bridge and Staten Island — as a residential community, with some commercial and recreational amenities, to set it apart from the industrial uses that had long dominated the city’s waterfront.

But that was then. Now, with a weak economy, a depressed housing market, and a new city administration in place, local officials say Bayonne’s needs and its plans for the peninsula have changed.

Taxes and Jobs

"Our focus here in this administration is tax stabilization and job creation, and the initial master plan that we inherited, which called for 6,700 residential units, brought us neither," said Christopher L. Patella, executive director of the Bayonne Local Redevelopment Authority.

Tonight, the development authority board authorized Patella to complete the sale. He declined to confirm the terms of the deal.

The original plans for the peninsula development were forged under Bayonne’s longtime mayor, Joseph V. Doria, who left the office in 2007. Patella said the current administration of Mayor Mark Smith supports development of the site as a container terminal, which he said would make sense for the region as well as the city.

"In light of the problem they’ve been having with the Bayonne Bridge, this facility would be an ideal solution," Patella said.

Getting Clearance

The bridge’s widely publicized problem is its 151-foot clearance above the Kill Van Kull, which limits the size of container ships headed to the Port Newark/Elizabeth Marine Terminal container complex, and Staten Island’s Howland Hook terminal. Officials fear thousands of jobs and billions of dollars in commerce could be lost to competing ports as skyscraping container ships from Asian arrive at East Coast ports once an expansion of the Panama Canal is complete in 2014.

The solution Patella was suggesting was that large container ships could simply put in at a new Bayonne peninsula terminal or the expanded Global terminal.

But a spokesman for Gov, Chris Christie said the Bayonne peninsula and Global projects do not constitute a solution to the bridge problem. Rather, the two acquisitions are parts of the governor’s broader, ongoing plan to maximize the region’s port operations, said the spokesman, Michael Drewniak.

"This brings together a critical component of the governor’s economic development plans for New Jersey, and especially our northern ports," Drewniak said.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...rove_port.html
    Last edited by JCMAN320; May 9th, 2013 at 10:55 PM.

!!!!^Excuse me I just projectile-vomited in my mouth a little. Port expansion? Great. So we can import more garbage from overseas. So things didn't happen as fast as they expected, they have to go all industrial? By the time they finish their expansion, years from now, the housing market will have been well on its way back. Yes it will create jobs but there's no guarantee most or even half of those jobs will go to Bayonne residents.

plus almost 100 underwater acres surrounding the peninsula.
    Is that similar to air rights?

The article didn't mention whether the cruise terminal will remain, but I really hope they at least leave the memorial park alone. At least leave that one peaceful patch alone.

I'm angry because I don't know whether to be glad that Bayonne is getting back in the big game, or that this might become a pimple on its comeback.

I don't know what the people in those homes on the peninsula are going to do with those homes. As far as I know the Cruise Terminal is staying and so is the park.

I'm not sure about the 100 underwater acres being similar to air right.

Bayonne is always going to be an industrial town and this assured Bayonne of that. However it is not a bad thing. The Peninsula is the perfect place for a new port.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by JCMAN320 View Post
    I don't know what the people in those homes on the peninsula are going to do with those homes. As far as I know the Cruise Terminal is staying and so is the park.

I'm not sure about the 100 underwater acres being similar to air right.

Bayonne is always going to be an industrial town and this assured Bayonne of that. However it is not a bad thing. The Peninsula is the perfect place for a new port.
    Its 40/60 in terms of whats going to get built on it. 60% is mixed use and parkland and 40% is shipping and industrial lite manufacturing....the original plan was for the entire peninsula to be mixed use but Bayonne didn't want to wait. Greed seems to run every town and city in the Gold Coast and they often don't think long term instead short...and with lined pockets.

PA may buy out the homes and use for employee housing...? Because I don't know how it will hold its value once people get wind of the port plan, and especially once they're up and running. Just last week on Trulia, the lowest rates for rentals (studios) there were advertised for $1700, now they're down to $1400. I'm sure it will go back up but that's how fast it fluctuates.

I had no illusions of Bayonne turning into hipster hamlet, but this seems like such a 180 from everything they wanted for the future.

Forum Veteran

PA may buy out the homes and use for employee housing...? Because I don't know how it will hold its value once people get wind of the port plan, and especially once they're up and running. Just last week on Trulia, the lowest rates for rentals (studios) there were advertised for $1700, now they're down to $1400. I'm sure it will go back up but that's how fast it fluctuates.

I had no illusions of Bayonne turning into hipster hamlet, but this seems like such a 180 from everything they wanted for the future.
    You couldn't pay me to live their...all that noise , pollution...its bad enough the marshes smell on certain days....

Exclamation Truck Terminal Coming As Well

Quote Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
    You couldn't pay me to live their...all that noise , pollution...its bad enough the marshes smell on certain days....
    I agree Nexis. I have a friend that moved there but once the news of the Port shift happened she wants out. Here is more news on further development of a truck terminal from over a year ago.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Port Authority seeks Peninsula at Bayonne Harbor site for truck terminal
    Published: Tuesday, June 07, 2011, 8:45 AM
    Charles Hack/The Jersey Journal By Charles Hack/The Jersey Journal

REENA ROSE SIBAYAN/JOURNAL PHOTO
    The Port Authority wants to buy 9 acres at 150 Pulaski St. in Bayonne to use as a truck terminal for marine terminal use.

The Port Authority has even more ambitious plans for the former MOT in Bayonne.

According to papers filed with federal energy regulators earlier this year, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is seeking to buy a 9-acre, privately owned site at 150 Pulaski St. at the old military base to build a truck terminal for “marine terminal purposes.”

In August last year, the bi-state agency snapped up 130 acres on the southeastern side of the former Military Ocean Terminal at Bayonne from the Bayonne Local Redevelopment Authority to build a container port.

The Port Authority’s interest in acquiring more real estate near and on what is now called the Peninsula at Bayonne Harbor was revealed in a February letter responding to Spectra Energy’s application with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission to run a natural gas pipeline near the 150 Pulaski St.

In the February filing, the Port Authority told FERC that it wanted Texas-based Spectra Energy to reroute the proposed gas pipeline along the south side of 150 Pulaski St. because the proposed route would interfere with plans for the truck terminal.

The Port Authority instead proposed the pipeline run through Bayonne Local Redevelopment Authority land farther south.

Port Authority officials refused to comment, but according to a response filed by Spectra, the energy company is working with the Port Authority.

The current tenant of 150 Pulaski St. is APA Logistics Inc., an international haulage company that operates a 225,000-square-foot warehouse with 37 loading docks at the site, according to APA’s website.

A spokesman for APA Logistics, Inc., which leases 150 Pulaski St. from Dynamic Worldwide Logistics in South Kearny, said he could not provide any information about a pending sale.

Neither Dynamic Worldwide Logistics nor the BLRA could be reached for comment.

In its letter to FERC, the Port Authority stated the property has Bayonne Planning Board approval for a truck terminal and parking with 56 additional truck loading docks on the south side of the 150 Pulaski St. building.

The authority is also seeking to acquire an unspecified amount of adjacent land south of the warehouse, in the area of the Peninsula at Bayonne Harbor that is considered the Maritime Industrial District.

The BLRA sold the Maritime Industrial District to Ports America in April 2009 for $92 million, after the Port Authority agreed to drop a legal challenge to the sale.

The Port Authority has also purchased the 98-acre Global Terminal site a mile east of 150 Pulaski, on the border of Bayonne and Jersey City, which a P.A. news release said will be used to handle cargo growth.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/inde...peninsula.html

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

This makes sense with the possibility of future flooding in this area, residential is not a good idea.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast