Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the Hatred of America and Americanism?

Default What is the Hatred of America and Americanism?

Why do so many European countries, and others beyond*Europe despise us? *

Partly envy of American power, partly resentment toward bad American policies I guess. That's the common analysis.

Bad American policies: *I agree! *

(Edited by amigo32 at 5:38 am on Jan. 25, 2003)

President Bush

It has gotten much worse since GW came to power. *9/11 could have been a time for countries to come to our support, but the Bush regime has consistently alienated the international community. *They squandered that opportunity. *

There is general resentment of american hegemony, but there are also specific issues bugging people. *Two top the list: *belligerance and unilateralism toward Iraq; and the Kyoto Protocol -- people in the US just don't understand how much we pissed off the rest of the world (If you don't know what I'm talking about, I rest my case).

And the occasional idiot American tourist that they encounter that has no cultural sensitivity/intelligence. *We tend to laugh at these back-woods / trailer type people and forget what an embarrassment they can be when they go abroad (however frequent that may be).

Quote: from dbhstockton on 5:26 pm on Jan. 25, 2003
    Two top the list: *belligerance and unilateralism toward Iraq; and the Kyoto Protocol -- people in the US just don't understand how much we pissed off the rest of the world (If you don't know what I'm talking about, I rest my case).
    I may be inviting a firestorm of righteous resentment, but having researched the Kyoto Protocol, I think that it was not such a hot piece of legislation that should receive unanimous approval. *Specifically, developing nations, which account for nearly half of all CO2 emissions were not obligated to make any reductions, and the entire brunt of the agreement fell on the civilized nations, the US prime among them. *Perhaps the European environmental fanatics have a disproportionate amount of influence over the politics and public opinion in their countries (Note that these are often the same people who protest against nuclear plants - among the least polluting of all power sources, emitting no CO2), but in the US cooler heads prevailed.

(Edited by Eugenius at 5:06 pm on Jan. 26, 2003)

I think there's more than one reason, but this is part of it.

I may pay about eight dollars for a movie ticket just to entertain myself and see a movie, meanwhile somewhere else in the world, some kid might be able to use those eight dollars to live or survive or something.

Or, you may pay 4 or 6,000 dollars a month for a luxury apartment (well maybe not you, but you get the idea), while that same money can be used to probably feed a whole small town somewhere else in the world.

The fact that we treat ourselves things that we don't even need (kit kat bar, luxury car, a lap top, faster speed computer, other stuff, etc.), when the same resources and money can be used to save people in other countries, and make life in other countries a lot less dire than they currently are.

On top of that, we don't even mean to do this. We don't say to ourselves, gee, I'll buy this hamburger rather than save a child in India, or I'll move to a better apartment at the expense of a whole little town in [instert poor country here].

America is hated because we are the superpower and Europe once was. They are upset that they are not the superpower they were once were. Its jealously. Eugenius, you are right about the Kyoto Protocal. Its very flawed. Its meant for nations like us. Third World nations are the worst polluters. Global warming is something that is unproven. It maybe just a cycle. Global warming maybe good, because people in cold places would welcome it. How come there was none for light pollution which is a proven problem and can be fixed easily. Also, they see America as very decadent, in which there is lack of morals, especially in the Muslim world.

They need to expand the Kyoto Protocol to many developing nations that are expanding their economies. It's a shame really when the US and Japan can be forced to ratify such a protocol but China doesn't have to.

Regards to Nuclear power, I think that while a nuclear meltdown's chance is possible but pretty slim. We need to focus on hazards that are happening here and now, especially all gas-guzzling, ground paving, urban sprawl promoting, open-space gobbling cars (not just SUV's), oil and coal plants that need expensive anti-pollution devices, and the lack of energy-efficiency standards.

Quote: from Agglomeration on 10:47 pm on Jan. 26, 2003
    They need to expand the Kyoto Protocol to many developing nations that are expanding their economies. It's a shame really when the US and Japan can be forced to ratify such a protocol but China doesn't have to.

Regards to Nuclear power, I think that while a nuclear meltdown's chance is possible but pretty slim. We need to focus on hazards that are happening here and now, especially all gas-guzzling, ground paving, urban sprawl promoting, open-space gobbling cars (not just SUV's), oil and coal plants that need expensive anti-pollution devices, and the lack of energy-efficiency standards.
    If power plants want to truly reduce pollution, then we must fight light pollution, because it wastes electricity and energy. It also wastes money, especially with this budget crunch. Light pollution is a problem we can solve. http://www.darksky.org/

Eugenius, in the US business interests prevailed.

January 31, 2003
    Why Today's Europeans Object to America's Worldview
    By ETHAN BRONNER

PARIS — When you fly into the Basel airport, you have a choice between two exits. One leads to Switzerland and Germany, the other to France. Little effort is devoted to indicating which is which. There are fewer armed guards visible than at any major airport in America. You can wander accidentally into the wrong country. Considering that three different languages are spoken within a mile and that the Rhine River nearby flowed for centuries with the blood of conflict, the airport's casual borders are a reminder of what contemporary Europe has become — a near-haven of harmonious coexistence.

That's easy to forget but vital to remember, because it goes to the heart of what is gnawing at the European-American relationship these days. Eight European leaders may have backed President Bush's approach to Iraq in an op-ed article published yesterday in The Wall Street Journal and a number of European papers, but most Europeans tend to think Americans have too harsh a view of the world, relying on force in international relations where diplomacy and commerce would do. Americans often consider the Europeans craven appeasers who prefer to buy off an enemy rather than confront him. As war with Saddam Hussein looms, this divide is affecting nearly every trans-Atlantic interaction.

Oddly, it represents a reversal of roles. Not many generations ago, Americans came to Europe for a firsthand look at power and its trappings — how to dress and how to eat when you are in charge of civilization. The Americans were the wide-eyed ones, the Europeans the hard-bitten sophisticates. Those images remain. Most recently, when the Soviet Union collapsed, it was an American theorist who said that we were witnessing the end of history through the triumph of a singular viewpoint. Europeans scoffed at his naïveté. Yet if you want to find a place where history actually seems to have come to an end, where there are no longer armed conflicts aimed at redrawing maps and redistributing wealth, it is in the well-groomed, cosmopolitan and militarily weak Europe of the 21st century.

The change has been so quick that it gets overlooked. When Germany and France, at a celebration of their 40-year friendship pact this month, jointly raised their voices in opposition to early military action in Iraq, Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld angrily dismissed them as "old Europe." He got it precisely backward. Aversion to war is what defines not the old Europe but the new one, where disagreements are settled by multilingual summit talks over dinners of snails and duck, and high-speed trains zip you from Paris to Brussels without the need ever to show a passport or exchange currency. The big dispute in Europe is over how much to subsidize farmers.

Of course, Europeans live in a paradise of modern convenience and cultural tradition at least in part because they have handed over responsibility for military engagement to the Americans. This makes for a paradox that has been pointed out by Robert Kagan in the journal Policy Review. Europeans want to maintain the role they have long enjoyed — leading the world debate. But without the power to back up your perspective, such leadership can prove elusive.

This produces a second paradox. The Europeans are persuaded that their newfound coexistence is a model for the world and that the more Hobbesian American approach represents a dangerous alternative. In other words, the disagreement over Iraq is not only over specific policy choices but underlying worldviews. The Europeans, and especially the French, in whose nation the phrase mission civilisatrice (civilizing mission) originated, have long seen it as their role to teach others how to live. Yet now the Americans talk about invading Iraq in order to spread democracy in the Middle East. This has nurtured the conflict between Europe and the Americans in a way that gives fresh meaning to the phrase "clash of civilizations."

At a recent conference in Brussels of Americans and Europeans, the new Europe was much in evidence. The participants were not discussing what European governments should do about Iraq. They were debating what the United States should do. It was clear that Europe could do very little without increasing its military power. While that was something many advocated, others remarked that if it did so, Europe might betray what it had become.

An Italian member of the European Parliament, for example, spoke of the phrase "Never again." Americans use it to mean preventing another Nazi Holocaust — no appeasement, no looking the other way at genocide. Europeans, he said, also meant no more war. "The European public does not accept peace and war as two routes to the same goal," he said. "Peace is itself a value. Just like life. That is why we oppose the death penalty."

One unstated concern Europeans clearly have about an American-led war in Iraq is that it could render Europe and its civilizational model irrelevant. That may sound purely self-interested, but in truth the European model is more relevant than ever. Through common economic interests, education and relentless talk, the Europeans have forged a new world for themselves.

Other regions should be so lucky. There is no escaping the fact that Europe needs to spend more money on arms if it wants a serious role in foreign policy. But its ideas deserve a close hearing in world affairs, as for example in the war on terror. Americans, after all, have become good at fighting terrorists but not at fighting terrorism. As one German political scientist put it: "You think we are naïve for resisting the use of force. We think you are naïve for failing to understand how to dry up the sources of terror."

Americans and Europeans may have switched places in recent decades as their power relation has shifted, but in this debate it's an open question as to which are the realists.

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company

I also think it's because of past decisions by the US which really never helped certain countries.

That's an understatement...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast