Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: "You can't take pictures here" - Restrictions on photography

As long as you're on public property, it's okay to photograph. Guards that want the film or for you to delete the images are actually liable for assault.

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrainat1251 View Post
    But if you are on a public sidewalk you can tell the guards they can call the cops, because you have every right to photograph from a public place.
    Here is what will happen next:

- The guards will call the cops
    - The cops will come and ask you why are you causing trouble, and tell you not to take pictures.
    - They will ask you for your ID, and if you do not have it, they will have right to lock you down.
    - If they do not ask for your ID, but ask you to stop taking pictures and to leave, and you keep arguing with them, they will lock you down anyhow (causing disturbance)

Sad, but true. I will tell my story when I will have more time.

Lesson:

ALWAYS bring a tape recorder/MP3 Recorder with you when you start taking pictures or have to deal with authorities.

It is amazing how quiet people get when they find out you have an actual recording of what went on....

Quote Originally Posted by A-shot View Post

- The cops will come and ask you why are you causing trouble, and tell you not to take pictures.
    - They will ask you for your ID, and if you do not have it, they will have right to lock you down.
    - If they do not ask for your ID, but ask you to stop taking pictures and to leave, and you keep arguing with them, they will lock you down anyhow (causing disturbance)

I do a lot of shooting in the city (always permitted), and I can't tell you how many times I've been approached by building security and told to cease and desist - even after I've shown them my permit.

More often then not, the cops (if / when they've been called) have been very helpful. Of course, the permit helped - so maybe that makes all the difference.

I will tell my story when I will have more time.
    tease

Quote Originally Posted by thomasjfletcher View Post
    As long as you're on public property, it's okay to photograph. Guards that want the film or for you to delete the images are actually liable for assault.
    Wow Australian law must be really harsh.

I think you mean if they touch you or something necessary to you (glasses, clothing) it's battery at common law (and in some states around the common law world - "assault" in the criminal law).

Otherwise its simply trespass to goods.

Bottom Line - unless you are breaking a legislative edict (statute or regulation), or are on private property - ignore the ranks of fvcktards that proudly don their uniforms and wave their keys and torches around (security guards), lamenting the fact that they couldn't get into the "prestigious" police force.

Your answers should be

"On whos information was it alleged that I was causing trouble - ?"

"Officer, I was not causing trouble"

"Trouble? Yes, "trouble" that exists only in the mind of that security guard"

"Im just like any tourist taking photos of New York City"

"I am permitted to take photos of New York City, and have no malintent in doing so"

"Its for my mantelpiece"

and

"Would you like me to send you a free print - I'm not actually a bad photographer and see my camera - golly it takes great photos"

I usually have no problem taking photos anywhere on the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Tenenbaum View Post
    Your answers should be

"On whos information was it alleged that I was causing trouble - ?"

"Officer, I was not causing trouble"

"Trouble? Yes, "trouble" that exists only in the mind of that security guard"

"Im just like any tourist taking photos of New York City"

"I am permitted to take photos of New York City, and have no malintent in doing so"

"Its for my mantelpiece"

and

"Would you like me to send you a free print - I'm not actually a bad photographer and see my camera - golly it takes great photos"

I usually have no problem taking photos anywhere on the street.
    What if he says this:

"Mine, now please stop taking pictures."

"Didn't I say you were causing trouble? Leave now."

"I'm saying you're causing trouble, Not him."

"I wouldn't give a rats ass if you're Oprah, taking pictures of Times Square. If you can't take pictures here, please leave."

"You're starting to piss me off. Lease now"

"You think I give a damn?"

"You're going to jail. That's it. Put your hands behind your back."

In 2004 I had some idiot cop rush across to me and warn me off for taking an extremely distant shot in the vague direction of the Midtown tunnel entrance in Manhattan. I was using a small, zoom-free camera.

I did think about politely pointing out that there were currently two live streaming cams broadcasting live footage of the tunnel with the entire world but thought better of it...

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaNYC View Post
    What if he says this:

"Mine, now please stop taking pictures."

"Didn't I say you were causing trouble? Leave now."

"I'm saying you're causing trouble, Not him."

"I wouldn't give a rats ass if you're Oprah, taking pictures of Times Square. If you can't take pictures here, please leave."

"You're starting to piss me off. Lease now"

"You think I give a damn?"

"You're going to jail. That's it. Put your hands behind your back."
    I doubt even the most pig faced officer on his worst day would behave like that. It does depend on what you say. Certainly do not get into an argument. Be polite.

If a police officer did that say, if you are a good upstanding citizen (without a criminal record ) and you retained a good word for word memory of what he said and remained calm that officer would be facing several disciplinary hearings.

Theres no probable cause for taking photos in the street. Having said that, Im tall, nordic looking and have light coloured eyes.

Another tip - use a Crown Graphic or Yashica-Mat 124 - usually I get questions from security tards and police like "Can you still get film for that?"
    Last edited by Gregory Tenenbaum; September 29th, 2006 at 05:48 AM.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Cool

I watched a lecture online recently that was about the increasing private takeover of public spaces. Very interesting. I think a good solution would be to take photos with your cell phone. Just pretend to be diaing or looking at the pod.

Another tip - use a Crown Graphic or Yashica-Mat 124 - usually I get questions from security tards and police like "Can you still get film for that?"
    Using a Ricoh GR Digital often gets you off the hook too, because to untrained eyes it looks like a cheapo camera from the front.

Quote Originally Posted by urban75 View Post
    Using a Ricoh GR Digital often gets you off the hook too, because to untrained eyes it looks like a cheapo camera from the front.
    I saw your post about the Ricoh. Ricoh has always had a great set of compacts with good glass too. Not sure about the glass in this one but looks like a a sound manual camera.

I would have thought that if you shelled out something for the viewfinder that sits on top of the camera that would do much do disarm any officious security tard.

I would have thought that if you shelled out something for the viewfinder that sits on top of the camera that would do much do disarm any officious security tard.
    Yeah, I've got the viewfinder too which makes it look even more cool (if you're a photographer)/ cheap and crap (if you're a punter).

It's a great little camera.

In the FWIW department, it's been a long-standing policy of the New Jersey Turnpike Authority that no picture-taking on Turnpike property is allowed without permission.

"Or so I have read." (apologies to Spinal Tap.)

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast