Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nationalities

Default Nationalities

If your sensitive about this type of stuff then this is not your post. But I think this forum has an impressive mix of peoples and backgrounds. And since we're all open anyways, lets open up this topic.

Myself Im half German, half jewish, my jewish ancestory came to where else, the Lower East Side.

Forum Veteran

Default Nationalities

American born, parents American born, one side grandparents are Polish, other side they are American born but great grandparents are Austrian and Belorussian. Religion wise I'm Jewish.

Paternal grandparents first settled in the south Bronx and then moved to the UWS. Maternal great grandparents settled in the LES.

Default Nationalities

. I was born here. My parents are Dominican. My grandparents on my fathers side are also Dominican. My other grand parents are Dominican. I know only of the greatgrand parents on my mother's side and my g.g.mother is from St.Thomas and my g.g.father is Spanish.

Default Nationalities

Father's from the bronx. Mothers from Elizabeth, New Jersey...

As far as religion is concerned, I'm jewish.

Default Nationalities

Guess I'm out-mumbered. I'm a Catholic. I'm interedested in the Muslim religon, but I'm not tinhking of converting.

Default Nationalities

Grandparents emigrated from Italy, settled in Lower East Side. Paternal grandparents bought a home in Williamsburg; maternal grandparents bought a home in Caroll Gardens.

I was born in Caroll Gardens. My parents bought a home in Sheepshead Bay, where I was raised - so I love Brooklyn and fishing.

Forum Veteran

Default Nationalities

SheepsHEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woo

Default Nationalities

I was born in Istanbul, Turkey, but I was raised in Forest Hills, Queens, since before my first birthday. Never been back, or outside the country for that matter, since I arrived. So I think of myself as a native New Yorker.

My parents weren't devout Muslims, just generically god fearing, thanks probably to the secular nature of Turkey. I'm personally an atheist, thanks probably to my natural affinity to the sciences

My entire family tree, which I'm not intimately familiar with I must admit, resides within the broad confines of the former Ottoman Empire

Default Nationalities

American mutt. All my ancestors have been here since before the mid 1800's, and were all Catholic. Irish and German on my Dad's side - they settled in Georgia. Irish, Scottish, and French on my Mom's side - they were early frontiersmen of Michigan. My ancestors probably fought each other in the Civil War.

My Dad's job took the family to New York City and they moved to Bergen County, NJ where I was born.

Default Nationalities

I'm 1/2 jewish, 1/4 Norwegian, 1/4 Italian -- 3rd-generation American mutt. *In terms of NYC, My father's from Queens and my mother's family is from the Bronx and LI. *I was born in upper Manhattan, then we moved to LI when I was 6 and NJ when I was 14.

My great uncle (great as in my grandmother's brother) recently put together a geneaology of that Jewish side of the family, which originally hails from an area of shifting borders in what is now Russia, Poland, or the Ukraine. *Motivating emigration from the area was anti-semtic persecution, but it was also motivated by the harshness of Russian conscription at the turn of the century -- I think it was ten years of service. *So I learned that I come from a long line of draft-dodgers. *Those that managed to get drafted *crafted elaborate desertion plans and joined branches of our family in Romania, France, and the U.S. *We're close with our family in France, so all this recent virulent francophobia is upsetting.

Forum Veteran

Default Nationalities

Third- or fourth-generation American mutt. *My dad's side is mostly German, with a hint of Welsh, Irish, Scottish and English from my paternal grandmother. *My mom's side is entirely Irish. *However, my mom's side of the family is what's considered "black" Irish, or descendants of Irish women who married Spanish sailors who washed up in Ireland after Britain defeated the Armada in 1588; as such, none of us have red hair or a large amount of freckles. *Who knows, if I trace my roots far back enough, I might find some Arab or Berber blood in me from ancestors who were alive during the Moorish occupation and the Reconquista.

My mom's a native New Yorker but was raised on Long Island. *My dad is from Newport, Kentucky, which is a suburb of Cincinnati. *He moved to New York in 1975 to take a job at EFHutton, where he met my mom. *My sister was born in '81, and I was born in '85. *We're all Catholic, although personally I don't necessarily practice the religion.

(Edited by TLOZ Link5 at 2:01 pm on Mar. 22, 2003)

Default Nationalities

Quote: from dbhstockton on 11:46 am on Mar. 19, 2003
    all this recent virulent francophobia is upsetting.
    I'm glad you said that.
    I'm upset, too.

Default Nationalities

1/2 French, 1/8 Basque, 1/8 Spanish, 1/4 Lebanese (of the christian variety) and a confirmed atheist.

Bashing Chirac doesn't bother me or the french half of my family too much. I guess we're all used to it. Americans have been bashed more than their fair share by the french and New Yorkers have been bashed for years by the rest of the country.

Forum Veteran

Default Nationalities

Aw Fabb we still love you.

Default Nationalities

Both my parents were from South Korea and I was born here in the great country of America. I am a first generation American.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast