Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trouble in Bush's America

Default Trouble in Bush's America

May 8, 2003

Trouble in Bush's America

By BOB HERBERT

While our "What, me worry?" president is having a great time with his high approval ratings and his "Top Gun" fantasies, the economy remains in the tank. And the finances of state and local governments are sinking tragically into ever deeper and ever more unforgiving waters.

You want shock and awe? Come to New York City, where jobs are hard to find and the budget (as residents are suddenly realizing) is a backbreaking regimen of service cuts, tax increases and that perennial painkiller, wishful thinking.

The biggest wish, of course, is that the national economy will suddenly turn around and flood the city and state with desperately needed revenues. Meanwhile, the soup kitchens and food pantries are besieged.

"This is the worst situation I've been in," said Alfonso Shynvwelski, an unemployed waiter who stood in a long line of people waiting for food at the Washington Heights Ecumenical Food Pantry on Broadway in upper Manhattan. Mr. Shynvwelski, 36, has worked at a number of upscale restaurants, including the Russian Tea Room, which has closed. He's been unemployed for a year.

"It's the first time in my life I've had to look for food this way," he said.

This lament is being heard more and more often in the city, which has an official jobless rate of nearly 9 percent. The real rate is substantially higher, which means that more than 1 in 10 New Yorkers who would like to work cannot find a job.

Last week Local 46 of the Metallic Lathers Union announced that it would allow 200 people to apply for membership, which would mean a shot at high-paying work. The line of applicants began at Third Avenue and 76th Street and almost circled the block. The earliest arrivals waited in line for three days. They slept on the sidewalk.

In George Bush's America, jobs get erased like chalk marks on a blackboard. More than 2 million have vanished on Mr. Bush's watch. There are now more than 10.2 million unemployed workers in the U.S., including 1.4 million who are not officially counted because they've become discouraged and stopped looking.

There are also 4.8 million men and women who are working part time because they can't find full-time jobs.

John Challenger, the chief executive of the outplacement firm Challenger, Gray & Christmas, offered a cautionary word to the wishful thinkers who insist that prosperity is just around the corner. "The sharp increase in the job cuts last month," Mr. Challenger said, "should serve as a warning that it is premature to conclude that the quick end to the war in Iraq will bring a quick turnaround in the economy and job market."

The high unemployment and sharply reduced social services are having devastating consequences. In some cases people are being driven to destitution.

"This is a really spooky time for us," said John Hoffmann, who runs a food pantry and soup kitchen in the Bronx. He's faced with both a surge in demand and, because of government budget cuts, a threat to his financing.

"These are folks who are new to services like ours," Mr. Hoffmann said of his latest wave of clients. Many of them are working men and women who were struggling to support their families from one paycheck to the next. When workers in that situation are laid off, they have nothing to fall back on.

Nearly a quarter of a million jobs have been lost in New York City in the past two and a half years. Taxes are going up and services are going down — and still that is not enough. Similar scenarios are being played out in city and state governments throughout the country.

California is trying to borrow its way out of a nightmarish crisis. Texas, already near the bottom nationally in social services, is heading further south.

Two forms of help from the federal government are needed. One is direct assistance to local governments to help alleviate the disastrous budget shortfalls. The other is an economic stimulus program that really works, that boosts the economy and creates jobs through investments in some of the nation's real needs, rather than simply transferring trainloads of money to the wealthy in the form of tax cuts.

Mr. Bush has no interest in such remedies. Easing the economic struggles of poor and working families in America is not part of his agenda.

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company

In an e-mail forwarded to me today.....

"The most important thing is for us to find Osama bin Laden. It is our
    Number One priority and we will not rest until we find him!"
    - President Bush, September 13, 2001

"I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and I really don't
    care. It's not that important. It's not our priority."
    - President Bush, March 13, 2002

So what happenned here?

We're goona find or kill bin Laden.
    That didn't work.
    Gotta kick some Arab butt.
    How about Saddam?
    We didn't get him either.
    Now what?

Bush is one hugh joke. I'm sick and tired of him and his lousy administation. They're all looking for a fight.

Quote: from ZippyTheChimp on 6:07 pm on May 8, 2003
    So what happenned here?

We're goona find or kill bin Laden.
    That didn't work.
    Gotta kick some Arab butt.
    How about Saddam?
    We didn't get him either.
    Now what?
    Damascus, Tehran, Riyadh, repeat, repeat, repeat...

Exactly. He only attacks Arab countries, but there are terrorists in other countries too.

Not to mention oppression and poverty...

September 23, 2003

Bush Appearing More Vulnerable in Polls

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 12:40 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Bush seems to be increasingly politically vulnerable on issues from the economy to Iraq, with the latest polls showing some of the lowest job approval ratings of his presidency.

With the president's standing hovering in the low 50s or just below in some polls, Democrats appear to be in a more competitive position than they have been in months, surveys suggest.

Leading Democratic candidates from newcomer Wesley Clark to Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry to Connecticut Sen. Joe Lieberman were in a virtual tie with Bush in head-to-head matchups, in the poll conducted by CNN-USA Today-Gallup released Monday. Bush held a slight lead over Howard Dean and Rep. Dick Gephardt in the survey.

In a national poll by the American Research Group of Manchester, N.H., released Tuesday, Bush's job approval was at 47 percent with 48 percent disapproving. ARG typically focuses on New Hampshire but occasionally conducts national polls.

In the Gallup poll released Monday, 50 percent of those surveyed gave Bush high marks for his handling of the presidency with 47 percent disapproving.

Other polls still show the president's job approval in the low-to-mid 50s, far below the high ratings he enjoyed months after the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

The public's view of Bush has changed due to growing concerns about his handling of the economy and Iraq. But they see him as a strong leader, with two-thirds approving of his handling of the campaign against terror.

The slump in the president's public support means that Democrats appear to be in a more competitive position than they have been in months, the Gallup poll suggests.

In head-to-head matchups, registered voters said if the election were held today, almost half, 49 percent, would support Clark, while 46 percent would support Bush, which is within the poll's margin of error.

Kerry had 48 percent to Bush's 47 percent; and Bush had 48 percent to Lieberman's 47 percent. Bush held a slight lead over Dean, 49-45 percent, and had a similar advantage over Gephardt.

Clark, a retired Army general, led all other Democratic candidates in the poll conducted Sept. 19-21, beginning two days after Clark announced he would become the 10th Democratic candidate for the party's nomination.

Among voters who are Democratic or lean Democratic, Clark led all Democratic candidates with 22 percent, Dean had 13 percent, Kerry and Gephardt 11 percent and Lieberman 10 percent. The remaining candidates were in the low single digits.

The battle for the party nomination will be fought state by state, and Clark's strength in early voting states such as Iowa and New Hampshire will be crucial. National polls at this stage tend to reflect name recognition and aren't the most accurate indicator of a candidate's viability.

Bush spokesman Scott McClellan said it's ``not uncommon to see this at this point in an administration.''

``The American people want a leader who acts decisively to meet our highest priorities. That's exactly what the president is doing,'' McClellan said.

Republican pollster Bill McInturff cautioned against making too much of the Democrats' standing in a national poll taken so far before the election.

``This off-year time is a chance for people to express frustration,'' McInturff said. ``But these off-year results can be only thinly connected to actual election results.''

Public opinion is highly unpredictable early in the election cycle since voters have not yet focused on the race, according to McInturff, who noted that Republican Bob Dole was running ahead of President Clinton the year before the election. Clinton prevailed in 1996.

Democratic pollster Doug Schoen said ``right now we're seeing a dramatic change in public opinion,'' adding that Bush's recent dip in the polls suggests that Democrats could have a chance to defeat Bush next year -- a possibility that looked very remote in past months.

The CNN-USA Today-Gallup poll of 1,003 adults, including 877 registered voters, had a margin of error of plus or minus 3 percentage points, 4 percentage points for registered voters. The ARG poll of 1,100 adults was taken Sept. 19-22 and had a margin of error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press

Finally.

Forum Veteran

And he's coming to New York next year for his convention. Fun.

You all love to criticize our great President Bush, even though he is doing a dam good job. Considering the scale of the attacks on 9/11 it's amazing he averted a depression, so don't complain about the recession. Are you actually complaining that he is going too hard on Arab countries? Are you mad? Saudi Arabia, Syria, and Iran have been long-time supporters of terrorists. More recently, however, Saudi Arabia has been cracking down. Syria, however, may have ties to the US Soldiers detained at Gitmo. He hasn't done anything to any of those countries, and he should. He is being too leniant on them. There are also the issues of Northern tribal areas of Pakistan. He didn't want to anger the Pakistanis so we didn't root out al qaeda in that area. And he's beeing too harsh? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Not to mention his interest in creating a Palestinian state. When people say he is anti-Arab they forget to mention that. They also forget to mention that Arab media, which you all seem to be in-tune with, criticizes him constantly. After 9/11 he warned against attacking random arabs on the streets. Calling him anti-arab is just as blindly moronic as calling Clinton a good husband. But it seems the constant liberal whining and propoganda on the news actually is affecting peoples opinions of him. Our news just likes to report things that'll get people to watch, whether it's disaster, war, or criticism of the President. I turn on the TV I almost get the feeling I'm watching Al-Jazeera with the things I hear some people saying about President Bush. It seems the world is forgetting about the horrible attacks, and about the threat of terrorism. But this is just natural isn't it? We sleep until something big happens. Happened in 1941, it happened in 2001. I guess we'll do the liberal thing! Go to sleep, because we don't want to be mean to people who are killing us and cheering about attacks on us. If Gore were running in 2004 I could just imagine the campaign slogan "Everyone grab a pillow, cause it's Gore in 2004". And because democrats can't even pick the best leader amongst themselves (says something about all their leadership skills) I don't have a better example of the Democrat running in 2004. So, now is when you all spam your curse words, anti-bush rhetoric, and pro-terrorist feelings. I am anxiously awaiting the responses to this... yeah right, anxiously awaiting more propoganda :wink:

Evidently, about 50% of the people don't agree with you.

Default Re: Trouble in Bush's America

Quote Originally Posted by DominicanoNYC
    Bush is one hugh joke. I'm sick and tired of him and his lousy administation. They're all looking for a fight.
    What kind of joke Dominicano? A hugh joke? hugh? Huh? First of all, maybe you don't care about attacking terrorists because they didn't attack the Dominican Republic. I should change my name to AmericanNYC. We are all immigrants here. Would you like my name to be PolishNYC? You have to be more patriotic to the country you are living it. The American military is fighting every day protecting our asses and the least we can do is show some pride. It's horrible how Americans conveniently forget where they are living and remember their ancestry whenever they are on a forum or anywhere else. To everyone their old country is more important, it seems. What did the Dominican Republic ever do for you? Are they building you roads, protecting you from terrorists, etc.? No. I have nothing against the Dominican Republic, but all Americans have to realize that they live in America and the least they can do is remember that. You don't have to agree with a Republican or Democrat, but at least remember you are an American. Even if you were born somewhere else. This is the country that is giving you tax cuts right now. The country that is fighting to protect you from terrorists, and the country that is providing you with services. If you feel no patriotism towards it then feel free to leave. By the way, you are wrong again. The terrorists were looking for the fight, and much to their dissapointment, and yours they got one. I personally am sick of the liberal spin opposing every action taken against terrorism. "Oh no! The Gitmo prisoners don't have cable TV? Oh no! We are going to stop terrorists from getting on airplanes with the Terrorist Information Awareness system? Oh no! President Bush is killing terrorists?"

Well complain, complain, but you can only go so far before peoples common sense kicks back in and reminds them that terrorists are bad.
    Lesson of the day:
    Terrorists = Bad, evil murderers
    Fighting Terrorists = Less attacks on Americans
    Fighting Terrorists = Good

There. Remember those three basic principle and you maybe won't buy into all this media nonsense.

Zippy... if 50% of the people thought 2 + 2 was 1000 it wouldn't make them right. Besides, often the masses are dumb. A long time ago well over 50% of the people wanted slavery, does it make them right?

FT:

This thread is not about Dominicano or the Dominican Republic. If you disagree with him, just state your reasons as they pertain to the topic. Your previous post was a rant, this last one was offensive.

If you continue with this tone, your posts will start to disappear.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast