Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trouble in Bush's America

Zippy, like I said before. I don't have a beef with Dominicano or the Dominican Republic. I was using it to prove a point. Unless you are a native american you were not originally from the USA. My point was that if everyone just cared about their origins and not where they currently live then there would be no America at all. All of us are from somewhere else. However, some of us choose to support America. That is what I am saying. It relates greatly to the topic. Also, just becuase you disagree with my opinions on things doesn't make my opinions rant or offensive.

I don't care about your opinion on the matter, or what you meant, or if you were rushed and "didn't know what you were typing."

Your post was offensive.

The Presidential Bubble

Four progressive political groups sued the Bush administration this week, charging that the Secret Service is systematically keeping protesters away from the president's public appearances. They make a serious point about free speech rights, but they also point out a disturbing aspect of the Bush White House: the country has a chief executive who seems to embrace the presidential bubble.

Security concerns make it inevitable that a modern American president will be somewhat cut off from the country he leads. He cannot insert himself into any part of normal life without a phalanx of security guards.

Protesters cannot be permitted to get close enough to pose a threat, but they ought to be able to get close enough so the president can see that they are there. Sometimes seeing a glimpse of placard-wielding demonstrators is as close as the commander in chief can get to seeing the face of national discontent.

At Mr. Bush's public appearances, his critics are routinely shunted into "protest zones" as much as a half-mile away. At the Columbia, S.C., airport last year, a protester with a "No War for Oil" sign was ordered to move a half-mile from the area where Mr. Bush's supporters were allowed to stand. When the protester refused, he was arrested.

Mr. Bush and his aides also seem to go to great lengths to underline the degree to which the president closes himself off from the news media. In an interview with Fox News this week, the president said he learned most of what he needs to know from morning briefings by his national security adviser, Condoleezza Rice, and his chief of staff, Andrew Card.

As for newspapers, Mr. Bush said, "I glance at the headlines" but "rarely read the stories." The people who brief him on current events encounter many of the newsmakers personally, he said, and in any case "probably read the news themselves."

Some of this may be a pose that is designed to tweak the media by making the news appear to be below the president's notice. During the Iraqi invasion, when the rest of the nation was glued to TV, Mr. Bush's spokesman claimed that his boss had barely glanced at the pictures of what was going on.

But it is worrisome when one of the most incurious men ever to occupy the White House takes pains to insist that he gets his information on what the world is saying only in predigested bits from his appointees.

Mr. Bush thinks of himself as a man of the people, but carefully staged contacts with groups of supporters or small children does not constitute getting in touch with the people. It is in Mr. Bush's interest, as well as the nation's, for him to burst the bubble he has been inhabiting, and take a hard look at the real world.

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company

MAKES ME MAD
    :x

The News Reaching the President (6 Letters)

To the Editor:

Re "The Presidential Bubble" (editorial, Sept. 25):

The right to protest peacefully is a fundamental right in a democracy, yet understandable security concerns for the president do not mean distancing the show of dissent from his eyes.

I am surprised that President Bush depends only on his advisers' briefings and only glances at the headlines of the newspapers to gauge public opinion.

We are a great democracy and a country that is lucky enough to have a vibrant media. The president needs to come out of his cocoon; he should have his finger on the pulse of public opinion.

ATUL M. KARNIK
    Woodside, Queens, Sept. 25, 2003

To the Editor:

President Bush's lack of curiosity and the fact that he considers himself a man of the people are not incongruous ("The Presidential Bubble," editorial, Sept. 25). The majority of Americans also do not bother to inform themselves about the world and rely on a "ruling elite" to make decisions for them.

Mr. Bush's lack of curiosity and his desire to live in a "bubble" merely reflect the same desires and lack of curiosity of the majority of Americans he leads.

REBECCA YOSPYN
    Royal Oak, Mich., Sept. 25, 2003

To the Editor:

You accuse our president of being "incurious" (editorial, Sept. 25).

Am I alone in respecting someone who is focused and undistracted, who avoids getting "his information on what the world is saying only in pre- digested bits" from The New York Times?

C. S. COLLIER
    Holladay, Utah, Sept. 25, 2003

To the Editor:

President Bush's lack of interest in the newspapers and public opinion is no pose ("The Presidential Bubble," editorial, Sept. 25).

From his first day in office, he saw no need to court the public, despite lacking a public mandate. The only people he seeks to please are financial backers of his own class. His every measure is calculated to serve them.

When millions of people around the United States and the world protested his plans to pre-emptively attack Iraq, he said, "Size of protest — it's like deciding, well, I'm going to decide policy based upon a focus group."

No longer do we owe Mr. Bush the benefit of the doubt in this matter.

CHERYL A. DAVIS
    Palo Alto, Calif., Sept. 25, 2003

To the Editor:

It's true that hearing about a protest and seeing it firsthand are two different things. Everyone would agree with that. But critics of the president and his so-called bubble (editorial, Sept. 25) should ask themselves if they really want to compromise the security of the leader of the free world — and their own — so that George W. Bush can see an antiwar poster from 50 feet away.

Two years ago, I attended the commencement ceremony at Yale, where President Bush received an honorary degree. Standing on a podium before a liberal student body, he faced a sea of protest signs on topics ranging from abortion to tax policy.

That was four months before 9/11.

In going to war in Afghanistan and then Iraq, and now working so hard to rebuild this troubled region, the president must surely be working to dissolve the bubble that has been the unfortunate consequence of events of the last two years.

ELYSSA FOLK
    New York, Sept. 25, 2003

To the Editor:

Your Sept. 25 editorial "The Presidential Bubble" struck me as a little self-serving.

I'm sure that you would like to know that President Bush pores over The New York Times each morning at breakfast and saves the crossword puzzle for some intellectual exercise after his morning aerobics.

But if I had to read the depressing news about a less than robust economy and the quagmire in Iraq, I would prefer my news filtered, too.

GIL GHITELMAN
    Fairfield, Conn., Sept. 25, 2003

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company

Is Switzerland a nice place to live, Christian? I'd imagine it's difficult attain citizenship -- I don't really have a trade yet. I often feel like my country is spiraling out of control, like I'm going to wake up one day and it's just going to be too far gone for me to take.

Take heart. Its nowhere near the state it was in during say:

1. McCarthyism
    2. Vietnam
    3. Iranian Hostage Crisis
    4. Reaganomics and the Evil Empire

If you're memory doesn't go back much farther than Clinton its pretty bad but its certainly not all that horrid in the farther view.

Excuse me Freedom Tower, but I am not a Dominican immegrant. I'm call my-slef DominicanoNYC because I am of Dominican descent. I am not offended though, but please watch what you say.

Often the masses are dumb, Freedom tower? Is that the case? So if you or me are one of the masses we are dumb? And never was slavery considered acceptable in history. It's just back then that people were too afraid to speak out against it in fear of retribution from thier "rulers." We know terrorists are bad people, but how would you know if one is a terrerist or not, simply because their last name is Muhammed or they wear a hijab? There must be a line drawn between cracking down on terrorists and cracking down on Islam.

Yes, in America at one point slavery was considered acceptable. Study American History, I will not teach it to you. That is how the masses were dumb. They almost all agreed at one point that there was nothing wrong in having slaves. They were sold like products and used for farming. I will not go into further detail. Stop pretending this is a fight against Islam. It is not. You are making it that. I never said it was. However, when you hold religion above moral standards, such as killing is good for jihad or against an infidel, then it is fundamentalist islam and that is not good. I don't know why most Muslims like to chant it is a war against islam. There are plenty of mosques in this country. It is not a war against Islam. Don't forget who declared the war either. Bin Laden declared war, and it's amazing we were able to distinguish between islam and fundamentalist islam becuase bin laden said the attacks were in the name of Islam. We all knew it wasn't though. In fact we haven't gone hard enough on terrorists becuase we were afraid to insult their culture. There have been mosques that supported the terrorists in this country, but they're not being investigated because they claimed it was all in a religious capacity. In addition, Gitmo prisoners have been given prayer time. Stop whining. Islam is not being threatened. America is being threatened.

JMGarcia, just what was so good about Clintons time? The economy was up yes, but he was not the cause of that. In fact the economy started slumping towards the end of his term in office. In addition, he could have done something for this country besides Monica. Then he lied to the entire country, the country he was President of when he said he didn't do it. He could've said its his personal business, but he LIED to his country. In addition, he did nothing about the terrorist attack on the USS Cole, and did little in 1993 WTC bombing, and wasn't WACO so much fun? Not to mention he signed something promising not to arrest the terrorist that hijacked the achille lauro. He made the military smaller and less prepared, cut back on our overseas intelligence gathering, all this helped lead up to 9/11. But since we don't like to sound bad he had a good term right? WRONG.

Clinton did it to Monica. Dubya is doing it to all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp
    Clinton did it to Monica. Dubya is doing it to all of us.
    Very true Zippy! But I think you might have misspelled, isn't it DUHbya? :wink:

It's not true. And it's this false crap that is ruining our country. President Bush is doing his best to help us. He is fighting terrorism, trying to improve schools with the "no child left behind", he tried to fight affirmative action, a very racist program, but the supreme court is slightly liberal so racist it shall stay. He is giving tax cuts so Americans will have more money to spend, and then when they do spend it the economy will improve. You all complain the "rich" people are getting the tax cuts, maybe for a good reason. Like Zippy said, if he was given a tax cut he'd just save it. So we need to give it to people who will spend it. The real problem today is that democrats will say anything, ANYTHING to make President Bush seem a bad guy so they will win the 2004 elections. The fact is, Clinton did lie to us, and did monica the whole time. And your little simile is wrong, don't make what Clinton did seem less bad. Do you want a President that will lie to you? No, so Clinton was a bad President.

Bush may have lied about the reasons for the war in Iraq.

You still do not understand the theory behind tax cuts. Tax cuts are not implimented just to give people a few extra bucks. If that was the case, they would always fail. Tax cuts reduce government revenue. The theory is that the economy is expanded, and the government gets it's revenue back. If the economy is not stimulated, what you are left with is a revenue shortfall (deficit). Something has to give. The federal government can just print money, but since that is a loan, interest maust be paid. This has long-term negative effects. The other choice is to cut programs. This problem gets passed along to state and local governments. Since it is difficult for municipalities to cut services (you gotta collect the garbage), taxes or charge for services are raised - things like bridge tolls and parking fees.

The end result is that extra paycheck is given right back. The danger is that the person who actually thought he had extra money to spend and did spend it is wondering why he has more debt than the year before.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast