View Poll Results: What Area In Manhattan is Home to Your Favorite Skyscraper?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Midtown

44 68.75%
  • Downtown

20 31.25%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where is your Favorite NYC 'Scraper?

Forum Veteran

I always thought that 1251 AotA, along with the rest of the XYZ Buildings, could use a good scrubbing. They're all extremely dingy.

i would personally have to go with conde naste as my favorite skyscraper. It its like the perfect example of postmodernism. Its extremely different facades gives it a sort of cut and paste effect which is unique. I think besides the empire state building it has the best location in the city, and now with the new antenna and billboards coming its even better :lol:

I'm going with downtown.....today anyway.

Downtown needs some new babies...

The only "new" scraper that is unique and good looking is Shiny Mr. 17, on the edge of the island.

Bring on new construction!

Quote Originally Posted by NyC MaNiAc
    Downtown needs some new babies...

The only "new" scraper that is unique and good looking is Shiny Mr. 17, on the edge of the island.

Bring on new construction!
    Yeah. I haven't heard much of the really major construction in downtown NYC.

Yeah Dominicano, but I think they are turning around just about now.

This Last Decade has been pretty sad though, but construction of the new WTC will bring around more new, innovative, skyline changing,big buildings.

Unfortunatly, we had to lose 2 of our greatest buildings just for some new construction. :roll:

Funny how things work.

Yeah. It's not the best way to make way for newer buildings.

All of the many Art Deco buildings, of course, but specifically I've settled for 20 Exchange Place (City Bank Farmers Trust) as my favourite skyscraper and the Barclay-Vesey (Verizon) as my favourite low(er)-rise.

I also really like the Lincoln Building and all of the Lefcourt buildings.

I'm not a big fan of the modern stuff, but I do like 450 Lexington and all of Frank Williams' apartment buildings.

I don't think you can beat Downtown for its wonderful cluster of pre-WWII buildings, despite being somewhat spoilt IMO by monster boxes like 55 Water Street, et al.

20 Exchgange

I love that second pic NyatKnight.

It really showcases what Downtown is all about, IMO.

Mixing the Old (70 Pine, 40 Wall, City Bank Farmer's Trust) With the New (J.P. Morgan Building)

The Chrysler and Empire State are tied for first place on my list of NYC faves, and they're even more amazing in person - two of the most beautiful skyscrapers yet built and the true stadt-kronen (city-crowns) of the skyline.

The Empire State simply rockets skyward - shes' all soaring, shining grace and power, and the mooring mast is the perfect finishing touch of art deco razz-a-ma-tazz.

The Chrysler, with her wonderful spire and gargoyles (art deco razz-a-ma-tazz to spare) is so joyuous she looks like she'll dance right off the sidewalk...

The ESB and Chrysler are two of the only three 'scrapers, BTW, that I refer to as "she", as a token of special fondness. The other is the Woolworth Building.

My favorite skyscrapers are in midtown...

The Chrysler and Empire State are tied for first place on my list of NYC faves, and they're even more amazing in person - two of the most beautiful skyscrapers yet built and the true stadt-kronen (city-crowns) of the skyline. Sometimes buildings do become more than just buildings..

The Empire State simply rockets skyward - shes' all soaring, shining grace and power, and the mooring mast is the perfect finishing touch of art deco razz-a-ma-tazz. Zippy, your picture captures that grace & power so well...

The Chrysler, with her wonderful spire and gargoyles (art deco razz-a-ma-tazz to spare) is so joyuous she looks like she'll dance right off the sidewalk...

The ESB and Chrysler are two of the only three 'scrapers, BTW, that I refer to as "she", as a token of special fondness. The other is the Woolworth Building.

Forum Veteran

Okay, I'll bite.

Top 15 favorites:

1. Chrysler

2. 70 Pine

3. ESB

4. MetLife Insurance Company Tower

5. Flatiron

6. Citicorp Center

7. Condé Nast

8. 40 Wall

9. Rock Center

10. Carnegie Hall Tower

11. Woolworth

12. Municipal Building

13. 17 State Street

14. TWT

15. Cityspire

I'd probably reverse City Spire and Carnegie Hall Tower on that list of yours, TLOZ, and call it mine.

570 Lexington:

1 Wall Street:

They're relatively modest in size but exude fiery energy. I also particularly like the ESB, Chrysler, Citicorp, GE... The list goes on but a few stand out.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast