View Poll Results: What Area In Manhattan is Home to Your Favorite Skyscraper?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Midtown

44 68.75%
  • Downtown

20 31.25%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where is your Favorite NYC 'Scraper?

Forum Veteran

17 State Street

Chase Manhattan Plaza

Broad Financial Center

Those are some great downtown 'scrapers.

17 State is totally under-rated.

Also, You can diss Chase Manhattan, but it's So IMPOSING and cool seeing it in person. It's not your regular box.

And Broad is all nice and shiney! Yay for Downtown.

I'm assuming you're talking about the Roche/Dinkeloo monstrocity
    I strongly disagree it is not at all , in my opinion, a monstrocity.

It happens to be one of my many downtown favorites. I like so much about it and it has the most exentric lobby ive seen!

The thing is that Midtown has a lot of great buildings too.

Yes, Midtown has LOADS of great buildings too!

I just like noting that Downtown has just as many greats as well, because the area, as a whole, is overlooked in my opinion.

Yes. If I would choose Downtown as my favorite though, it would be for it's classic buildings. My fovarite down town is the Woolworth building.

HONG KONG (ORIGINALLY FROM THE PHILIPPINES)

Definitely, Midtown Manhattan! That's the heart of NYC! Even when the WTC was still there I still say midtown.

Quote Originally Posted by zepplin100
    I have to go with Yamasaki's WTC as numbero uno all time.
    Then you might like this site:
    http://www.theopinion.com/newyorkcit...n/yabb/yabb.pl

It's infantile.

It's time to move on, guys...

Al these Twin Tower (For lack of a better word) "lovers" are starting to aggravate me. Move on. I understand where you're coming from, but...

Reality Check. The Towers are gone. And they won't be coming back. Accept it.

Forum Veteran

NY Times
    September 1, 2005

In City of Skyscrapers, Which Is the Mightiest of the High?

By DAVID W. DUNLAP
    Happy 75th birthday, Chrysler Building. New Yorkers in the know think you're the best.

One hundred architects, brokers, builders, critics, developers, engineers, historians, lawyers, officials, owners, planners and scholars were asked this summer by the Skyscraper Museum in Lower Manhattan to choose their 10 favorites among 25 existing towers, from the Park Row Building (1899) to the Time Warner Center (2004).

Ninety of them named William Van Alen's Chrysler Building of 1930, which may come as close as any - despite or because of its ebullient eccentricity - to expressing New York's cloud-piercing ambitions.

The surprising runner-up was Ludwig Mies van der Rohe's Seagram Building of 1958, which is the antithesis of Chrysler: cool, tranquil, rectangular and restrained. What they have in common is that both express the spirit of their times, Chrysler playing a jazz-age flapper to Seagram's man in the gray flannel suit.

"These are irreconcilable choices if you try to evaluate them by one single system," said Carol Willis, the director of the Skyscraper Museum. Rather, she said, the voting showed that people judge some skyscrapers emotionally, others rationally.

Ms. Willis's own favorite, the Empire State Building, tied with Lever House, behind the Flatiron and Woolworth Buildings. The most recently built of the Top 10 was Eero Saarinen's CBS Building of 1964.

An exhibition including the results, "Favorites," opened yesterday at the museum, 39 Battery Place, in Battery Park City. The rankings are posted at www.skyscraper.org.

Neither the survey nor the answers were strictly scientific. Respondents tended to gravitate toward towers with which they are personally involved.

For instance, the RCA Building at 30 Rockefeller Plaza (now the G.E. Building), was the No. 1 choice of Jerry Speyer of Tishman Speyer Properties, which co-owns Rockefeller Center; Samuel H. Lindenbaum, a land-use lawyer who represents the center; Howard J. Rubenstein, a public-relations executive whose firm promotes the center; and Daniel Okrent, the former public editor of The New York Times, whose 2003 book, "Great Fortune," chronicled the history of the center.

Donald J. Trump checked off none of the buildings proposed by the museum but instead nominated Trump Tower, Trump World Tower, Trump International Hotel and Tower and 40 Wall Street. Yes, that would be the Trump Building.

There were some exceptions to self involvement. I. M. Pei did not chose 88 Pine Street, which his firm designed and where it has its office. But the building was among those picked by Robert B. Tierney, the chairman of the Landmarks Preservation Commission. Perhaps there is a designation in its future, though Mr. Tierney characterized the choice as one of personal affection and cautioned, "Nothing 'official' should be inferred."

The World Trade Center was not on the list and did not appear as a write-in on anyone's ballot. Leslie E. Robertson, a chief engineer of the twin towers, chose the Woolworth Building as his personal favorite. It, too, was once the tallest building in the world, 40 years before the topping out of 1 World Trade Center.

Like many others, mine changes frequently. I love 40 w. 40th, Raymond Hood's American Radiator Building.

Lever House, Exxon, Grace, 70 Pine, I love 'em all, but if pressed to pick one absolute favorite? Van Allen's masterpiece, the crown jewel of the skyline.

There are 2 skyscrapers that make my heart beat faster: The Seagrams and the CBS building. Its very strange because they add little to the skyline ( or the street for that matter). Im attracted to their late 50s/early 60s idea of "good" design and rigorous elegance....yet they are timeless. And they both have incredible workmanship. They say power and wealth like no others. After those two, Id take the Empire State Building. The Chrysler is lovely, its a nostalgic antique....and I wish there were more buidings like that gracing the skyline.... but its not good design.
    Last edited by Fabrizio; September 1st, 2005 at 11:35 AM.

And the Seagram Building has the plaza to beat all plazas.

Am I the only one who sees othing special in the Seagram Building? I mean I'll take it over the XYZ buildings, 55 Water, and other boxes, but it in no way (imo) tops the art-deco greats. I like Chase Manhattan Plaza better. Speaking of which I've always said that CMP makes Metlife, built during the same period, look like total crap.

But Chrysler is definitely my favorite too. That's why I put midtown months and months ago.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast