Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Conde Nast Building Antenna Construction

Quote Originally Posted by Fabb
    Proportions seem to look good when one is used to them. Being disturbed by the new antenna is a healthy reaction.
    Absolutely - everything's relative, nothing's inherent. Regularly defecate in the middle of a museum and eventually your excrement will be recognized as art.

Forum Veteran

Oh come now, Christian; surely making an analogy between Condé Nast's antenna and poopy is a bit harsh.

Default Re: Conde Nast Building - 4 Times Square

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Wieland
    I like the setbacks, beads and skyward arrows. Very intricate.

My remark refers to proportion, bright bulbs (you know, the concept, that abstract thing); not the antenna, which I'll judge when it's completed, and certainly not its details.

Forum Veteran

Ah, I see.

But regarding the poopy, I happen to agree. Oh, how I long for the days when being an artist implied having silly skills like knowing how to paint and/or sculpt...

...perhaps it's the fact that the antenna looks so clumsy, as if it's being held together by c-clamps, which is so disconcerting. At any rate, this is an issue of fuction over form...someone looked at the ROE...it's probably built from high-tensile, tubular steel (or aluminum)...but, it just needs to be wider, if it's gonna aspire to the hight...

I feel devastated, if it was taken down to the height of the bottom of the white bits, then it would be the right size. I hope its just the angle but thats probably just wishful thinking.

so it looks like the antenna is topped out. The last section doesnt look very good, it just this thin pole sticking up out of the white section. I wish it tapered to a point instead. Oh well at least its freakishly tall and looks pretty wild from a distance. They are still adding some kind of small circular platforms at 2 or 3 points along the antenna.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I really do hope they light it up at night.

I recently saw the antenna from Hoboken, and it looks wild.
    It really balances the Midtown skyline, which, until recently, was greatly skewed toward the ESB. I think it's a worthy addition.

Pictures on 11 October 2003. Mostly completed.

If the building was a lot taller then it would go, but I still think that its too big.

So with this mast the total hight should be 348 m. Interesting for records, but for an aesthetic point of view let's say strange thing.

You're right, it's waaay too big. From the ferry to Jersey City, it looks like a radio tower on the crest of a hill.

That mast is entirely too big for the building.