Thread: Gore Building?

Default Gore Building?

A lady contacted me looking for information on a building her grandfather helped build in NYC that was known as "The Gore Building", this would be 1890's to about 1906, does anyone have any information as to it's location/address or anything else I can relay to the lady?

No reference to it was found in my copy of New York 1930 (Rizzoli: Stern/Gilmartin/Mellins). You might find something about in the earlier version in this series.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    No reference to it was found in my copy of New York 1930 (Rizzoli: Stern/Gilmartin/Mellins). You might find something about in the earlier version in this series.
    New York 1880 and New York 1900 also don't mention it.

Forum Veteran

I think there's a Gore Building in Rochester; there was a hint to one in a search result or two on Google.

Thanks guys, lets see if anyone else has any ideas!

This is what the lady said;

My family history says that my grandfather worked on "The Gore Building" in New York City. He lived there from 1887-1906. Have you ever heard of the building? I haven't been able to get the NYC Buildings archive to answer about that.

He was a stone mason and the building probably was either built of granite or had a granite facing. I can send you his name and a list of the other buildings that he worked on, but that is the only building that I haven't been able to find. Might it have been the Flatiron Building?*

It wouldn't be the Flatiron building, but so many buildings with a name when built were changed later, the name might also be spelled differently than "Gore" if there was an error. Only thing I can think of is Goreham Silver and this is what I found;

GORHAM BUILDING, 390 Fifth Avenue (aka 386-390 Fifth Avenue and 2-6 West 36th Street), Manhattan. Built 1904-1906; architect Stanford White of McKim, Mead and White.

Landmarks Preservation Commission. Designated September 15, 1998; LP-2027

Summary

This elegant commercial building, constructed in 1904-05 for the Gorham Manufacturing Company, contained its wholesale and retail showrooms, offices, and workshops. Designed by Stanford White of the prominent architectural firm of McKim, Mead & White, the eight-story building is an adaptation of an early Florentine Renaissance style palazzo incorporating a two-story arcade, a four-story mid-section, and a two-story loggia. Crowned by an impressive copper cornice that projects eight feet from the building, it also features bronze friezes and balconies, designed by White and crafted by the Gorham company, and bas-relief sculpture by Andrew O'Connor. The Gorham Building, one of the early commercial palaces built on Fifth Avenue, north of 34th Street, early in the twentieth century, was widely praised for the beauty and artistry of its design. In 1923 the building was sold to Russeks, a women's apparel store, which occupied it until 1949. Since 1960, the building has been occupied by both retail and office tenants. Despite changes to the Fifth Avenue storefronts, the building remains a striking reminder of the role of Fifth Avenue as an elegant shopping street in the early years of the twentieth century.