Page 5 of 53 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Brooklyn Bridge Park - by Michael Van Valkenburgh Associates

2008? I can't wait. Please hurry!!!

2008 is such a long time to be waiting to break ground :cry:

I guess this answers my question on why they repaved the uplands from Pier 1 & 2. They just completely redid the parking lot, which I thought was strange since they'll need to tear it all up to plant grass!

Forum Veteran

Default Apartments in the Park

PARK-ING SPACE
    http://nypost.com/news/regionalnews/37690.htm

By PATRICK GALLAHUE
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    January 3, 2005 -- Think living near the park is luxurious? Try living in the park.
    Planners for one of the city's largest park developments could soon be offering just that in Brooklyn.

They are exploring the possibility of putting around 700 private residential units in the middle of the planned park to help pay for its $15.4 million in annual maintenance costs.

"Once you get to that point [of self-sufficiency] you don't have to compete with other parks for scarce resources," said Wendy Leventer, president of the Brooklyn Bridge Park Development Corp., which is charged with building the recreational space.

The 80-acre, $150 million park will stretch 1.3 miles from the DUMBO waterfront, north of the Manhattan Bridge, all the way to Atlantic Avenue, over what are now five decaying piers.

The housing is slated to be co-ops. Neighborhood leaders have been told they could be 16 stories and 30 stories high — on either end of the park.

Brooklyn Bridge Park, which has been in the planning for more than five years, was always intended to be financially self-sufficient in order to prevent further stretching parks budgets.

During the early planning stages, community groups agreed to allow 20 percent of the land to be devoted to private uses, including a restaurant, hotel and marina.

But with the master plan finally nearing completion, the development corporation announced yesterday that the park has undergone several major changes including the addition of high-rise buildings, possibly on either end of the park.

More housing could be adjacent to the Brooklyn Bridge, mixed into the low-lying hotel building.

And planners expect housing to be such a windfall they anticipate needing 10 percent less private space than originally expected.

"With these new developments we'll be able to give the park an additional 10 percent of open space," said Michael Van Vankenburgh, the park's landscape architect.

But Councilman David Yassky called the budget projections "highly speculative" and said, "They've a proposed significant development on the waterfront. That may be necessary to fund the park but we really don't know that at this point."

Also to keep costs down, the planners are looking at making Brooklyn Bridge Park the first major public park in the city to be powered by renewable energy.

Designs now include solar panels over basketball courts and wind turbines adjacent to the piers, which they hope will generate one-third to 40 percent of their energy needs.

Forum Veteran

I like the changes, though I don't think 30 storeys is appropriate there. If it's to be built, it should be at the southern/western end.

Detailed map of the park boundaries and the surrounding neighborhood.
    It's not the revised master plan.
    http://www.bbpc.net/docs/ConceptPlan.pdf

For some reason I want that giant Ferris wheel proposed for Downtown here...sorry Gul.

im excited, it's really good for my neighborhood as well!
    Along with this project and the conversion of the old wharehouses to a shoppingmall...there is gonna be an influx of people in Brooklyn heights and Dumbo

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/06/ga...tml?oref=login

There's a rendering of the park with a prelim of one of the new buildings.

The tower looks nice in that pic. Although it won't look like that in its final form I hope architectural distinction is part of the design program.

Forum Veteran

Meh, non-member access expired.

A planned restoration of the East River shoreline and wetlands in Brooklyn, also designed by Michael Van Valkenburgh.

Quote:Meh, non-member access expired.

Its free to sign up.

Nice pic Kris, is that an artist's vision or is that an actual rendering...vision right?

Quote Originally Posted by RedFerrari360f1
    Quote:Meh, non-member access expired.

Its free to sign up.
    New York Times Mulls Charging Web Readers

Fri Jan 7, 4:07 PM ET

By Martha Graybow

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The New York Times Co. is considering subscription fees to the online version of its flagship newspaper, which now is available for free, but it has no immediate plans to do so, the company said on Friday.

One of the paper's biggest rivals, Dow Jones & Co. Inc.'s Wall Street Journal, charges for its online edition. A New York Times spokeswoman said the company is reviewing whether it should make any business changes to the online version but that no shifts were imminent.

"We are reviewing the site to see whether or not there would be any areas where we should change the business model," said the spokeswoman, Catherine Mathis, adding: "This is not new. We've been discussing this for some time."

According to the upcoming issue of BusinessWeek magazine, whose cover story focuses on The New York Times Co., an internal debate has been raging at the newspaper over whether its online edition, which had about 18.5 million unique monthly visitors as of November, should adopt a subscription fee.

N.Y. Times publisher Arthur Sulzberger Jr. was quoted in the article as saying: "It gets to the issue of how comfortable are we training a generation of readers to get quality information for free. That is troubling."

The online edition of the newspaper is available for free to registered users, although some content, such as archived articles, are available only if readers pay a fee.

Paid Web sites can help publishers draw new circulation revenue, but free online editions can be attractive to advertisers because they attract many more readers.

Newspaper industry consultant John Morton, who heads Morton Research Inc., said he thinks many newspapers want to wean readers off free online content and transform their Web sites into paid-only publications.

Free editions of newspapers on the Web are "quickly falling out of favor," he said. "I think you will see newspapers selling electronic subscriptions or print subscriptions, or a combination of both, which is what the Wall Street Journal does, and has been very successful at."

The Journal had about 701,000 paid subscribers for its Web edition as of the third quarter. Online Journal subscribers pay $79 a year, or $39 if they also subscribe to the print version.

In a statement, Dow Jones' president of electronic publishing Gordon Crovitz said his company "would be delighted" if the N.Y. Times began charging online subscription fees.

"We have never understood why a publisher would charge for its news in one medium, such as print, then give it away for free in another medium, such as online," he said.

Mathis said that when the online version of the New York Times was first launched in the mid-1990s, it experimented with charging readers outside the United States a subscription fee. She said that plan was dropped in 1998 in favor of a free site for all registered users.

Copyright © 2004 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.

I hope they dont charge fee's. I read the NYT on here everyday.

Page 5 of 53 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast